Student groups block Sather Gate in latest protest for relocation

gate_aliceLangford_staff
Alice Langford/Staff

More than 100 members and supporters of the Queer Alliance Resource Center, or QARC, and bridges Multicultural Resource Center blocked Sather Gate for several hours early Friday afternoon as part of their latest protest to be relocated to different club space on campus.

Protesters led chants and held signs reading “Fight 4 Spaces of color” and “Students over profit” and, after a break of several hours, resumed demonstrating that evening. It was the groups’ third protest since last week to advance relocation demands from their current space in the Eshleman Hall basement to spaces in that building and the Martin Luther King Jr. Student Union building currently allocated to the ASUC Senate and Student Store.

Last week, members and supporters rallied at the office of Dean of Students Joseph Greenwell, and they occupied the Student Store on Monday. Members of the group packed Wednesday night’s ASUC Senate meeting, and bridges board director Jerry Javier said the groups may occupy future Senate meetings if their demands aren’t met.

At an emergency meeting held Thursday with the ASUC Student Union Board — which controls space allocation in the student union building — and campus officials, the student groups rejected proposals that would move their spaces to floors in Anna Head Alumnae Hall, the fourth floor of the student union building or the Hearst Field Annex.

According to David Lemus, organizing and community development director for bridges, the groups took issue with the alternative locations’ lack of visibility on campus.

“It’s not just the size of the space, it’s also the location,” Lemus said. “Nobody even knows that MLK has a fourth floor.”

The groups also took issue with several postponements of the meeting and the fact that Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Joseph Greenwell originally agreed to attend the meeting after the group’s Monday occupation of the Cal Student Store but was not present.

“It feels like they’re not taking our demands seriously,” said Angelico Patricio, transfer recruitment and retention director for bridges.

At the end of its current five-year contract with BBA Solutions, the private vendor that operates the student store, the board could choose a different vendor but would need to pay BBA Solutions $750,000 of construction costs, according to ASUC Student Union Board member Kena Hazelwood-Carter. She added that moving a student group into the space could require renovating the space for noncommercial use.

“We don’t have power to break (the) contract,” Hazelwood-Carter said. “We could be taken to court if we break it.”

Lemus clarified that the groups are not asking that the Cal Student Store be eliminated; instead, they are asking that the contract be renegotiated for its relocation.

Joe Wilson, chair of the ASUC Student Union Board, previously said QARC and bridges originally agreed to their placement in the Eshleman Hall basement in 2011 due to privacy concerns.

Bridges’ Executive Director Carolyn Nguyen, however, said the group was only given the option between sharing its office space with all other student groups or taking the space in the basement. According to Nguyen, because of bridges’ work with K-12 students, they are required to keep certain information confidential and therefore had no choice but to agree to its current location.

Nguyen, however, raised concerns about the ASUC Student Union Board’s communication with the group during the space allocation process.

One of the issues contributing to the situation, Hazelwood-Carter said, was that original plans for Eshleman Hall envisioned the building with six floors of space. The ultimate five floors led to a “space crunch” and “tap dancing” after negotiations.

“This is not a promise that was broken,” Hazelwood-Carter said. “The space did not live up to the promise that was made.”

Contact Alex Barreira and Jessica Lynn at [email protected].

• ThomasCollins1

I’ll take them seriously when they block the white professors, administrators, and student loan officials.

• David Marshall

These kids don’t have enough to do. Fast forward 10 years and they’ll be embarrassed to have been a part of this nonsense.

• lspanker

If they have any functioning reasoning processes, they will (and should) be embarrassed. However, given the type of students that Cal seems to be admitting as of late, one has to wonder if they even have the brain cells to know better…

• Guan_yu

Segregation Now!
    Segregation Tomorrow!
    Segregation Forever!

– George Wallace 1963

• lspanker

A new chant for the crybabies: “WE WANT OUR SEG SPACE!”

• ThomasCollins1

“When do we want it? NOW.”

Infants.

• lspanker

Hmm, I see the serial flaggers are at it again. Oh well, I guess that’s what they do when they don’t like a comment but can’t refute it with a reasoned argument…

• Aiden H Ginseng III, Oppressor

They’re not called ‘regressives’ for nothing.

• lspanker

True dat…

• Reed

I want one of you teatards to give me a response to this because you are obviously to dumb to watch and actually examine the video for yourselves.

Jimmy Lee I watched the video and lets be honest the evidence that they were not allowing only whites is very minimal. There are only three people that appear to be let through. All are women and you can’t even see if they actually went through. The fact they were chanting with the protesters is probably the reason why they were supposedly “let through”. Have you maybe thought that those people knew the protesters? And were in fact joining the protest, which would be an obvious and logical reason they were “let through”. The video was cut off not showing them cross and I am assuming it’s because of the fact that they were most likely joining the protest which is very probable based on the analysis I just gave. As you can see throughout the video there are many people of color that went the alternative route. It was in fact only white people who tried to go through. It seems everyone else including all colors and most whites (other then the three white people) who tried to go through thought it wasnt worth the trouble and went around. The other people who were let through were chanting with the protesters again my logic tells me this probably means they were part of the protest and were joining and or were friends of the protesters. I know as white people we always try to prove that minorities are racist to us. But I would say this video as evidence is a little far fetched. If you look at it from a neutral point of view and actually examine the video. On the other hand I don’t think it’s right for them to go through and disrupt people trying to study. But I also dont know the whole situation but it does seem they were given inadequate room for their clubs. Who wants to hold a club meeting in the basement? And lets be honest most other clubs other than the LGBT club or whatever would not even be considered for being put in the basement of some building.

• Troy Eckhardt

While I don’t know how an educated person could butcher words like “leotard,” “let’s,” “don’t,” “wasn’t,” and “too,” nor why you are seeking comments from tight-fitting dancing pants, I am one to give credit where credit is due, I DID give you kudos for making a decent point in one of the two other places here in which you copied and pasted this same reply to Jimmy Lee, who hasn’t commented here at all.

• Reed

Lol sorry I am on my phone and not going to take the time to use apostrophes. I think you got the point. Which obviously you did. I didnt know I had to use perfect grammar in a comment thread.

• lspanker

Lol sorry I am on my phone and not going to take the time to use apostrophes.

If you want to be taken seriously as a grown-up, perhaps you should take the time to sit down at a real computer and properly compose a post suitable for sharing with grown adults.

• Reed

Lol I could go through many of your comments and find grammatical errors.

• lspanker

Have at it, if that’s the only way you can win an argument.

• Reed

My point is when someone points out grammar in a comment post they are just trying to elude from the real ideas of the comment. I don’t need to be grammatically correct when commenting on a thread.

• lspanker

MY point was that if you can’t be bothered to at least ATTEMPT to write a post with some semblance of proper spelling and grammar, you shouldn’t be surprised if nobody takes you seriously.

• Reed

What are you talking about ? There were no apostrophes in a few words lol if you cant the semblance in dont and don’t you are lost. Try again bud.

• lspanker

What are you talking about ?

How about going back to posting somewhere else, like the M4M section of Craigslist, if you can’t even follow the discussion here? Seriously now, you’re clearly not up to participating in a collegiate level dialogue.

• Reed

Lol you said that my response didnt even resemble words. So you are saying you cant see the resemblance between cant and can’t? Or dont and don’t? Come on really? I know you arent that dumb.

• lspanker

Lol you said that my response didnt even resemble words. So you are saying you cant see the resemblance between cant and can’t?

Something tells me you’re quite confused about the difference between the two. One is a contraction of “can not”, another is a somewhat archaic term for chatter or pointless talk…

• Reed

You clearly said it doesnt resemble the word. Obviously if you cant tell they are the same thing, you are lost.

• lspanker

“can’t” = is a contraction of “can not”
            “cant” = idle or useless chatter, not common since 19th Century

Get a clue – I don’t (contraction of “do not”, FWIW) have the time or inclination to bring you up to speed merely because of your deficient educational background.

• Reed

You said resemble, resembles means have qualities or features, especially those of appearance, in common with (someone or something); look or seem like.

• Reed

Lol cant you see the resemblance ? Or can’t you? Hmm?

• Reed

Lol like your run on sentences.

• lspanker

Nothing grammatically or stylistically incorrect about it, provided I’m keeping focused.

• lspanker

I see you’re off on the right foot. We’re “teatards” because we dare to disagree with you?

As you can see throughout the video there are many people of color that went the alternative route. It was in fact only white people who tried to go through.

Maybe because those white people realize that you have NO right whatsoever to block their access.

I know as white people we always try to prove that minorities are racist to us.

Nice generalization. I don’t need to “prove” that certain individuals with a chip on their shoulder about so-called “white privilege” are racist, because those people make it obvious by their words and actions on a daily basis. They see their failure in the world to get ahead as some cabal of white folks trying to keep them down, as that is apparently more comfortable than examining their own shortcomings.

But I also dont know the whole situation but it does seem they were given inadequate room for their clubs.

They are a small club representing only a miniscule portion of the Cal student body, so they were given a small space. What right to they have to demand a larger space in a more prominent location? They can get together and figure out how to rent or lease their own space off-campus if they need to do so that badly.

• ThomasCollins1

“We’re “teatards” because we dare to disagree with you?”

They got tired of being reminded that “teabagger” referred to homosexuals.

• Guan_yu

“A racist is a conservative who has won the argument.”
      – Walter E. Williams

• NotSure2006

Watched the video and examined it for myself. This crowd is definitely hostile or at least more hostile to the white people they encounter than the rest. They assault at least one person in the video. There is no reason for them to block anyone’s access to the education they pay a lot of money for. No one should have been forced to walk in the river. As for if they let PoC through, that wouldn’t surprise me at all even if it isn’t explicitly shown in the video.
      Wanting to be moved to better office space could be one of the least noble causes yet. They want to get rid of the student store and take the student governments offices as well. Even after being told that to do so would cost the school a fortune (for the store at least). I’d say don’t cave, but let’s be real UCB already has probably.

• lspanker

Watched the video and examined it for myself. This crowd is definitely hostile or at least more hostile to the white people they encounter than the rest. They assault at least one person in the video. There is no reason for them to block anyone’s access to the education they pay a lot of money for.

Those protesting clowns are the type of people that are going to get Donald Trump elected, not because they like him or agree with his policies, but simply because they are fed up with the absurd PC silliness they see in the world around them…

• Troy Eckhardt

I say the proper response to the bridge incident is tear gas, then immediate expulsion with no refund, nor transcripts. If you pull this sort of violation of common sense ethics as a senior, you just blew $150,000 and four years of your life, BUT you’ll most likely never act like that in public again: Problem solved. If we want people to act like civilized humans, there have to be drastic repercussions for acting like infantile animals en masse.

We in the West currently only encourage such behavior as a rule, largely thanks to our willingness to accomodate people like Misao Dean, Professor of English at the University of Victoria, who was also featured today in the News of the Bizarre World of Liberal Attempts at Rational Thought, who has some sort of vendetta against canoes and their “cultural (mis)appropriation.”

It’s time to return our institutes of higher learning to places where intelligent, mature people learn actual, real-world, academic topics, not a preschool where maladjusted snowflakes learn lesbian dance therapy and the like.

• lspanker

Unlike the Democrats at election time, I am sorry to say I can only give you one upvote.

• Gary Kiser

Will there be spaces of color on busses and near drinking fountains as well?

• lspanker

Don’t forget hotel rooms and lunch counters…

• THEyardpilot

Gimme, gimme, gimme. This bunch of bigoted, racist, morinuc asshats should be arrested and thrown out of school.

• DragonflyBeach

I noticed how they left out the whole “blocking white students from going through”, bit. At least SFGate mentioned it.

• NotMyCupOfTea

Just imagine that these students are going to have kids one day and who knows what kinds of racist things they’ll say. If by chance they get some kind of authority position it’s going to suck if you’re under them and white. Oh wait, no, I know the response to this. White people do this all the time? No, they don’t.

• ThomasCollins1

Have kids? Only if they steal someone elses. These are the proud, the brave, the sodomists.

• Eric Kreitzer

Grow up, kids.

• JTZ

How do you determine who is Hispanic and who is not? Is it based on skin color? Eye color? Name? Language spoken? Hispanics come in all races. This is a bit elitist of some Hispanics to feel they determine what culture others are.

• lspanker

As someone of partial Spanish (not Latin American) ancestry, I always wondered why people of Spanish ancestry are considered “hispanic” but those of Portugese ancestry are not.

• JTZ

I’m Argentine American. So I don’t look like what many feel typical Hispanics look like. That’s why I asked the question. Because based on my past experiences, I have a feeling they would want me to wade through the water. Yet, I have fought for immigrant rights, defended most Hispanic causes, volunteered at centers to help gang members and their families, etc. This is why I find the idea of using ignorant racism against people of one culture or race against another, idiotic!

• Dwight Wade

pretty close to bullying need to check and see how many of the protesters are on scholarship and how many of the students being turned back are paying their on way I am 72 years old and I have never seen things this bad

• yossarian

It’s fun when civil rights protesters actually win their civil rights, but then go back to protesting because that is what they really want to do–protest everything. Life is unfair and it’s somebody else’s fault. Now they don’t just want “rights.” They want privileges, reparations if you will, to make up for their years of suffering. Real people laugh at you.

• Reed

Lol I think there was, but one black person in that whole group. You are a fool.

• Troy Eckhardt

I missed the word “black” in his post.

• Reed

The civil rights movement was 99% black.

• Troy Eckhardt
          • Reed

Lol the movement was 99% for blacks. Ok so there were a few white guys that actually stood equality which is great. The movement was blacks obviously.

• Reed

The movement was for blacks. Yes, there were some white people who stood for equality. Which is great, but the movement was obviously for black people. Im you sure could have inferred that was the meaning of me saying the “movement” being 99% black.

• lspanker

Try to find some alternative sources of information other than your doctrinaire lefty Grievance Studies professors and your equally clueless peers.

• lspanker

Your ignorance is quite apparent. Numerous white folks, particularly Jews, participated in the Civil Rights movement and supported its cause both morally and financially, to which their reward was to be smeared and vilified by the likes of Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan, et.al. You are pathetically miseducated about the Civil Rights movement in this country, and who supported it. I suppose next you will be telling is that it was the Republicans who started the KKK…

• Reed

Miseducated really? So your telling me the civil rights movement was not a movement to improve the treament of and conditions imposed on blacks in america? Lol ok yea you are right.

• Reed

And by republicans started the kkk do you mean the party itself or people who affiliate themselves with the republican party?

• lspanker

FAIL, but I figured that would be your response, child.

• Reed

Lol fail? I asked you a question to clarify your question because it was very vague.

• Reed

They are student organized “groups” aka clubs. A university doesnt just allocate space to random people.

• lspanker

You’re the fool for even attempting to defend such infantile behavior…

• Carol Moore

At least I hope this will create some sympathy for women who don’t want people with penises who think they are women to be forcibly interjected into womens rest rooms, changing rooms, locker rooms, showers, shelters and even prisons. It would be pretty inconsistent to say that minorities can have spaces free of people who merely have minor cosmetic color and feature differences, but women have to put up with people who have major differences in strength and ability to physically and sexually assault them, not to mention the much more likely oogling. This also stands for all arguments about oppression.

• Tom Jeremiason

I am shocked that a progressive University, like Berkeley, would allow a hate group to openly practice racism on the campus and call it a protest.

Would this be condoned if White students did this to people of color… OF COURSE NOT!

Every one of these “Students” should be expelled for practicing racism against their fellow students.

• mogden

I would just like to point out that it cannot be racism if it is against white people since they have the power. it is DEFINITIONAL. look it up, so I don’t have to spend time educating you.

• Tom Jeremiason

Good luck with that bullsh*t…. One of the definitions of racism according to the Webster Dictionary is: “racial prejudice or discrimination”. By stopping Whites from crossing the bridge, but allowing all other races, that by definition is racism, a violation of California Law and University Rules.

• Leon Wilkeson

That’s the kind of hilariously stupid nonsense that these kids believe, their professors believe, you believe, but no one with a life, real job, mortgage, and real responsibilities believes. I don’t care if you call it racism or not. It’s pure dumbassery and these idiots don’t have a chance in hades of being hired for any legitimate job. Yes folks – We’re looking at a group of crappy college professors, “community activists”, and professional victims. That’s the pinnacle if success for you and them: victory at the Opression Olympics. Professional Victims…professional losers.

• lspanker

Methinks the person you are responding to was being sarcastic, but that just my $0.02 worth…

• Leon Wilkeson

Upon reexamining the passage in question, I’ve determined that you are indeed correct. That said, the exact comment, delivered with no sense of irony or jest, could have been cut and pasted from any number of website comment sections: Atlantic, Salon, HuffPo, WAPO…this absurdity knows no bounds.

• lspanker

Yeah, it took me a couple of reads before I figured out it was not to be taken seriously…

• Leon Wilkeson

Interesting side note – back in college I had a pretty miserable dry spell and my friends actually called me “El Spanker”.

• lspanker

The “L” (lowercase) comes about due to my nickname at one tech startup in So Cal where some office admin type was lecturing people about “stupid conservatives” at lunch. She made the comment that she should always spot conservatives because they were so uneducated. I merely paused my lunch and said “Hmm, I’m probably the most conservative person in this company, and I earned my BSChE @ Cal Berkeley. Where did you get your degree in chemical engineering from again?” She promptly left the lunchroom, and I never did see her in there again for the rest of my tenure at that job. From then on I was referred to as the “liberal spanker” at work…

• Leon Wilkeson

YESSSSS!

• Reed

• lspanker

I also dont know the whole situation

But that doesn’t exactly stop you from playing the babbling fool, does it?

• Reed

The babbling fool? I was clearly responding to you fools who were claiming this act of protest was racist. I gave my analysis of the video and clearly stated the points on why it was not racist. By no means babbling.

• lspanker

The babbling fool? I was clearly responding to you fools who were claiming this act of protest was racist.

So would you prefer that they substitute a more appropriate description, such as “childish”, “moronic”, or “counter-productive”, all of which serve as an accurate assessment of this grandstanding attempt?

• Reed

Counter productive? You are the fool claiming it is racist I responded to that by actually watching the video. Which I assume you still haven’t done because tou don’t care about facts. You just listen to what you are told by some right wing news outlet. You have still yet been able to tell me how this was racist ?

• djende

In what way is this at all racist whenThey are fighting for space for an LGBTQ group. They are not even related

• lspanker

They were blocking access specifically to white students, an observation made elsewhere.

• Tom Jeremiason

These people were blocking the Bridge and not allowing WHITES to cross, but allowing all other Races to use the bridge and cross the protest line. The protesters were also verbally assaulting any white that tried to cross the protest line. That is Racism!

• Tom Jeremiason

Check out the video… https://youtu.be/3R6dzZdceT4

• elrod

Mob mentality, victim mentality, entitlement mentality, no personal shame.

• anposter

Too much Malcolm, not enough MLK (IMHO). When radical ethnic (or other) identity politics have become so mainstream that it’s considered perfectly acceptable to publicly demand segregation, it’s time to snap out of it.

• Reed

They are talking about spaces for the god damn club, you fool.

• Troy Eckhardt

No, they most certainly are not demanding a place for a “club.” They are demanding “safe places” where “people of no color,” AKA, the translucent, ethnicity-less devils, as well as those so bold as to be oh-so-sure of their gender, are not allowed to go.

• Reed

The protest was compiled of student organized groups. Anyone can create a student organized group. Why would someone who is not LGBT want to join this group? Or why would people who are not of color want to join a group that is a group for people of color? The university had already given them space to conduct their meetings. The space was taken away and given to a business entity to make a profit. They were sent to the basement. They are simply asking for adequate space to conduct their meetings.

• lspanker

Why would someone who is not LGBT want to join this group?

A good question, but ask yourself why a mature, self-confident gay or lesbian student would want to join this group when its membership insists on acting like immature children.

• Reed

Well obviously your political view is profits are more important than anything. This is where we disagree.

• lspanker

Once again, would you and the other members of your group be willing and able to cough up the money to lease the space if it were offered to you? Put up or shut up – the taxpayers are already subsidizing a good chunk of your (mis)education. They aren’t obligated to provide you with a special space for your extra-curricular activities.

• Reed

Lol well obviously there are many gays and lesbians who disagree and joined the group.

• lspanker

How many of them were willing to cough up some dues money so that their club could rent their own private “safe space”? I’m willing to bet not one of them…

• Reed

“Safe space” lol why do you love to use that term. It is simply space given to a student organized group to conduct meetings. Do you call the chess clubs space, a “safe space” for chess club members?

• lspanker

The Chess Club isn’t comprised of whining, crying babies demanding special favors, so no, I don’t use that expression with them.

• Troy Eckhardt

Why would girls want to join the Boy Scouts? Why would atheists want to join the Boy Scouts?

• lspanker

And they were GIVEN a space, proportional to their size and relevance on campus. If there are enough of them, they can always raise their own money to rent or lease some club space off campus if it’s that important to them. However, like most addled products of the all-encroaching welfare state in this country, they would rather throw a tantrum and demand others provide for them instead of doing it for themselves.

• Reed

How do you know that they were given a space proportional to their size? Why would they be protesting if this was the fact? Doesnt make much sense.

• lspanker

They would be protesting simply because as products of 21st Century Welfare-Nanny State America, that’s about all they can do.

• Reed

Lol again proving how racist and foolish you are. Do you know these peoples economic status? Well obviously not, which means you are saying because they are of color they are on wellfare. You are as dumb as I thought.

• lspanker

you are saying because they are of color they are on wellfare.

Never said that. Look up the definition of “welfare state” and you might just learn something for a change.

• Reed

But wait how do you know these people belong to the “wellfare state”?

• lspanker

You seem painfully ignorant of certain concepts of economic and social policy over the last 50 years in this country, including what “welfare state” means. Just exactly what are you studying again?

• Reed

You said they are a product of the welfare state. The “wellfare state” consists of many different policies. Obviously you don’t think the government should have a role in evening the playing field for disadvantaged citizens. But I am assuming you are talking about anti poverty progams. Because I don’t think you are talking about basic education for citizens because we all went to high school. Or social security because we will all receive that and Medicare. Which are all part of your so called “wellfare state” . Obviously we dont have universal healthcare which is usuay included in a “wellfare state”. I can only assume you are talking about anti poverty progams. Can you clarify though exactly what part of the “wellfare state” these students are products of? Because the generalization that they are products of the “wellfare state” doesnt tell us much. Are you saying they are products of it because the government helps people to much?

• lspanker

Obviously you don’t think the government should have a role in evening the playing field for disadvantaged citizens.

I don’t believe that the government (or anyone else) should be involved in crippling the physical, mental, moral, or emotional development of young people by keeping them helpless, paranoid, ignorant wards of the State, resentful and hostile towards those who have demonstrated the ability to stand on two feet as grown adult, something that both K-12 public schools and the UC system seem to have been doing over the last few decades.

• Reed

In what way does a so called “wellfare state” do this? And what excatly do you mean by this catch all phrase? There are many interpretations and uses for that catch all phrase.

• lspanker

It’s WELFARE state with only ONE “L”, you f***ng idiot!

Get a clue, I’m tired of your blathering stupidity…

• Reed

Whoops sorry I knew that would get ya going. Can you answer the question though?

• lspanker

Answered long ago. Stop playing dumb, even though I will admit you’re awfully good at it.

• Reed

Stop playing dumb? You never explained how the so called “wellfare state” hinders young people development?

• lspanker

You never explained how the so called “wellfare state” hinders young people development?

Reading Is Fundamental, sweetcakes:

“in crippling the physical, mental, moral, or emotional development of young people by keeping them helpless, paranoid, ignorant wards of the State, resentful and hostile towards those who have demonstrated the ability to stand on two feet as grown adults”

• Reed

Lol but how can the so called “wellfare state” make them helpless, paranoid, and ignorant? I want examples, just saying that means absolutely nothing.

• lspanker

Keep ignoring what you don’t want to see, and maybe it will go away, right?

• Reed

Answer the question. Come on, you act like you got the answers. So tell me what policies of a “wellfare state” makes kids helpless, paranoid and ignorant?

• lspanker

Taking away any insistence on behavioral standards and personal responsibility, as well as making up excuses as to why some people simply can’t function in society.

• Reed

So you suggest we have no policies that protect as well as promote the social and economic well being of our citizens?

• Reed

And so Mr. Genius, what would you suggest we do with wellfare. Since you know, you have all the answers.

• Nunya Beeswax

They have spaces for their organizations. They are insulted by the spaces being in the basement. Presumably they believe that by being put in the basement, they are being “hidden”.

From the outside, this looks like a temper tantrum over nothing.

• lspanker

And as this Reed guy tries to argue his case, he’s doing nothing to convince anyone otherwise…

• anposter

I will thank you, young man, to watch your sassing.

• lspanker

Your club was offered a space, they just didn’t like it. Beggars can’t be choosers – go find a landlord with an empty room or storefront somewhere and lease your own club building if you find what Cal offers you to be so unacceptable.

• tommy vise

This will backfire as many white liberals will see the hypocrisy, and question why they are being discriminated against. Maybe that will be a good thing for many to wake up to the nonsense of it all…

• Spoonie Gee

White liberals are geldings. They’re completely useless.

• Two Takeaways after reading this and other articles about this.

1) New space is always in issue for ALL groups. They want better real estate. Go ahead protest for that, but the reality is that they will not get what they want.

2) Protesting is awesome. However, they only let minorities through there wall. By discriminating against a group of people will not get other groups on your side. Non-violent civil disobedience forces the other parties hand, and a reaction will be shown. If the action is to discriminate. The people that aren’t effected will never go to that side. I wouldn’t let anyone through. Make it a pain in the butt for everyone, not just a select group of kids (yes, I consider college students kids).

• Billiamo

There’s something strangely missing from this article. Could it have something to do with the racist propensities of the demonstrators?

• mogden

OK i have to call you out on that. Because it cannot be racism if it is against white people. I learned that at Berkeley.

• James Dan

Ok, how about bigotry instead?

• gamblesd

I hope that you’re being sardonic.

• Alexis Faith

Racism. Noun. 1. The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races. 2. Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior.

Sounds like both definitions apply here.

• djende

In what way is this at all racist? They are fighting for space for an LGBTQ group. They are not even related

• Jason Schapiro

They were blocking white students from crossing while allowing students of color to pass.

• Ryan Czerwinski

Were you there?

• lspanker

Were you?

• Reed

That is completely false

• Count_Yob

There is video of it happening on youtube.

• lspanker

Never mind Reed, he’s a foaming idiot strung out on liberal white guilt.

• Reed

The video was deceptively edited. Read through the comments here there are multiple people who were there that will tell you differently. If you watch the video the four people who were let through were A. Either part of the protest or B. Friends of the protesters based on the way they were let through. Two were chanting with the protesters and two were talking with them and appeared to very friendly with them.

• lspanker

The video was deceptively edited.

Yeah, right, whatever… it’s all an evil conspiracy against the queers and people of color…

Get over it, we’re not buying your nonsense.

• Reed

Lol thats because you havent bothered to even watch the video and inform yourself on the issue. How do you explain a person chanting with the protesters and then being let through? Then the video gets cut off so you cant see what happens next. Lol this is the definition of deceptive editing. Anyone with a brain can see that. Not mentioning the eye witness accounts of atleast three people I have seen.

• lspanker

Lol thats because you havent bothered to even watch the video and inform yourself on the issue.

I saw enough of that video, child. Ever consider changing your name to Berkeley Bob? You’re so overboard on the propaganda that it’s physically nauseating.

• John Curry

Actually, I watched a very long video. Then I got the automated message that I might like this article, too (for this page). So I saw the whole video first.
            Explain to me why the white man on the bicycle was told to go around. When he did not, a black man from the protest approached him and told him, “this is bigger than you. This is about your whiteness!”

Dr. King, Jr. died to end segregation and these “safe spaces” are self-segregation and a spit in the face to Dr. King, Jr.

I wonder… how are these students going to function in the real world where there are no safe spaces? Can you answer that?

• Reed
          • Reed

They weren’t asking for safe spaces that is your bias assumption.

• Bob Bitshen

They also weren’t asking to relocate a regular student resource area. What exactly is different about this one?

• Count_Yob

And how do these hypocrites define a “safe space?” Oh yes, it’s a space with no straight white people. Their whole “protest” is to support anti-white segregation and discrimination. By the way, one of the white students who was turned away was told, on video, that it was “all about whiteness.” It’s PC to be anti-white.

• lspanker

It’s PC to be anti-white.

You got that right, despite whatever excuses the sniveler you are replying to comes up with…

• JTZ

Actually, with Trump’s popularity, it’s PC to be white and a Latinophobe, Islamophobe, Homophobe and an assortment of other phobias, except a phobia of molesting women. Funny thing is…they used to blame our Hispanic men for that. Now, we learn it’s just rich white guys like Bill Clinton, Trump and Limbaugh.

• Bob Bitshen

Did they edit the big banner that said “spaces of color”? or voice
            over the protesters in the video saying it’s about “whiteness”?

If it isn’t about race, someone should inform the protesters. The signs
            indicate that it’s about sexual orientation and skin color.

What is the difference between this resource area, and other resource areas? Is this resource area accessible to all students? If so, why does it need different designation? If not, What students don’t have access to it?

The behavior of the students protesting isn’t really the issue.

The fact that the university officially acknowledges such an area that is accessible to students based specifically on sexual orientation and/ or skin color. That is the disturbing part.

If it is accessible to all students, what is the purpose of a designation apart from other student areas? Even if it’s nothing more than a title, to define that title as anything but discrimination would be inaccurate.

Explain how the university is not in direct violation of the civil rights act.

• Ryan Czerwinski

No, I wasn’t there. That’s why I refrain from making assertions about what was going on. See how that works? Saying you don’t mean to sound caustic doesn’t prevent your question from being inherently accusatory.

Reports from various sources…. Reuters? AP? Or Buzzfeed? The media loves to sensationalize. Believe me, I’d love to believe that it’s true, if only to have a shining example of the hypocrisy of this sort of thinking, but I’m skeptical, as I’ve heard reports that black people who voiced criticism were made to go around.

In reply to @misshapenape:disqus , video evidence of white people being turned away and black people being admitted is NOT equivalent to video evidence of racism. How do you know every white person wasn’t being denied on the basis of ideology and every black person wasn’t being allowed through for the same reason? Ideological discrimination isn’t racism, even when it’s 100% correlated with race.

• John Curry

Well, when the black student (part of the demonstration) specifically told the white man on the bicycle (who was told to go around and was not allowed to cross the bridge) “this is bigger than you, this is about your whiteness.”

I would call that racist against whites! Their demands for safe spaces is ridiculous – self segregation is not what MLK, Jr preached… as I recall, it was just the opposite.

• MisshapenApe

Are you aware of something called… photographic evidence or video evidence? They’re caught on tape, you dunce. What are you a Ken Ham sycophant?

• altoidzzz

The video you saw (or heard about via Reason, Washington Times, Fox News, etc.) was deceptively edited to support the claim that only white students were being asked to go around.

Two groups of people appear to make it through the human chain at 1:30: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R6dzZdceT4. Both groups are made up entirely of women. In the first group, one woman gestures like she is trying to speak to somebody on the other side of the human chain; in the second group, one woman is clearly chanting along with the protestors.

Always be critical of your sources. (Including me! I’m a biased UC Berkeley graduate.)

• Bob Bitshen

Did they edit the big banner that said “spaces of color”? or voice over the protesters in the video saying it’s about “whiteness”?

If it isn’t about race, someone should inform the protesters. The signs indicate that it’s about sexual orientation and skin color.

Explain how the university is not in direct violation of the civil rights act?

• JP Smith

What this article fails to mention, intentionally? That they blocked the gate to white students but allowed non-white students to pass.

• lspanker

Par for the Daily Cal, which has an uncanny habit of leaving out pieces of information that don’t advance the agenda of the Senior Editorial Board.

• JP Smith

It’s like what alcoholics are told; the first step to recovery is to first admit you have a problem.

• lspanker

The problem is that so-called “journalism students” have learned too well from their mainstream media peers. It’s not about reporting the facts, but about peddling an agenda. Witness the fact that the vast majority of the lamestream press sees its duty as taking partisan political sides in a presidential election as opposed to attempting any semblance of even-handed coverage.

• JP Smith

I’ve long detected a left bias in most of the media, but lately it has become blatant. That is the biggest threat to our democracy.

• ßḫ…ߣⱦ ȶ€ɍ …ħÂƔễ… ɱɏ… ɯøȵⱻ¥

its not a left bias. its a clinton bias. clinton isn’t even on the left, she’s a republican in democrats clothes. the description of the bias you are looking for is pro-establishment bias.

• Reed

I watched the video and lets be honest the evidence that they were not allowing only whites is very minimal. There are only three people that appear to be let through. All are women and you can’t even see if they actually went through. The fact they were chanting with the protesters is probably the reason why they were supposedly “let through”. Have you maybe thought that those people knew the protesters? And were in fact joining the protest, which would be an obvious and logical reason they were “let through”. The video was cut off not showing them cross and I am assuming it’s because of the fact that they were most likely joining the protest which is very probable based on the analysis I just gave. As you can see throughout the video there are many people of color that went the alternative route. It was in fact only white people who tried to go through. It seems everyone else including all colors and most whites (other then the three white people) who tried to go through thought it wasnt worth the trouble and went around. The other people who were let through were chanting with the protesters again my logic tells me this probably means they were part of the protest and were joining and or were friends of the protesters. I know as white people we always try to prove that minorities are racist to us. But I would say this video as evidence is a little far fetched if you look at it from a neutral point of view and actually examine the video. On the other hand I don’t think it’s right for them to go through and disrupt people trying to study. But I also dont know the whole situation but it does seem they were given in adequate room for their clubs. Who wants to hold a club meeting in the basement? And lets be honest most other clubs other than the LGBT club or whatever would not even be considered for being put in the basement of some building.

• Deeduzz

White students were blocked while people of color were allowed to pass through?! Crazy, where did you see that?

• Deyin Lemin

Youtube video “Berkeley Students Harass Students and Disrupt Campus”.
        and also an article from SFGate perhaps.. I hadnt read it but I just heard it, maybe you just can google it.

• Aiden H Ginseng III, Oppressor

Say what you will about southerners during the 1950s… At least they inherited a system of racial discrimination rather than seeking to impose one from scratch.

I have never seen a more entitled group of people in my life. Everything these students have is taken for granted. Technology, rule of law, social services… Literally everything just magically appears out of the blue. People dedicate and sacrifice their lives to make yours better. Yet these students treat those sacrifices in the same way a wealthy socialite treats a groundskeeper… Then the students complain about “privilege”?

What did all white people collectively do to make them worthy of such contempt? More to the point, what have these protestors collectively done to be worthy of praise?

• lspanker

The problem here is simply that we have populated college campuses with individuals who have no business being college students. Decades of guilt-driven affirmative action, diversity quotas, and racial/ethnic/gender set-asides have resulted in students who lack the intellectual ability, academic preparation, or in some cases the mental/emotional stability to function as adults on college campuses. Therefore, the campuses have come up with a plethora of dumbed-down courses and degree courses to give these deficient individuals the appearance and illusion that they are attending college and have some semblance of a real academic experience. The courses in Underwater Basket-Weaving and Literature Through Comics are bad enough, but the ones that really poison their minds are the various and sundry race/class/gender grievance/victimization programs that uber-lefty professors use to fill their little skulls with utter garbage, the rationale that if they make great cannon father, given that most of them aren’t smart enough to see through this garbage.

• Reed

Wait? Don’t you have to have a certain GPA to get into college?

• lspanker

Yes you do, at least if you’re white or Asian. Now THERE’s a discrimination issue we can discuss if you’re up to it.

• Reed

Id like to hear it. Im assuming you are talking about affirmative action. Which of course you think is wrong because you can’t acknowledge the mistreatment of minorities in this country. If you were able to do that you would realize this is a way to pay for past transgressions. I am white myself and I realize my privilege I experience it everyday. Have experienced it every time I have been pulled over, have experienced it every time I have been in court. It is very much a real idea, only blind people cant see that.

• lspanker

Id like to hear it. Im assuming you are talking about affirmative action. Which of course you think is wrong because you can’t acknowledge the mistreatment of minorities in this country.

Which minorities, and by whom? Slavery ended over 150 years ago, and Jim Crow segregation ended a couple of generations ago as well.

If you were able to do that you would realize this is a way to pay for past transgressions.

Why should I, the taxpayers of California, or any OTHER person have to pay YOU for some “past transgressions” you never suffered in the first place? NO student currently @ Cal suffered through slavery or involuntary segregation, nor has anyone living in California today conducted such mistreatment towards those students. Nobody today has to bear a guilt trip, much less be compelled to make any type of apology/concessions/reparations to YOU or ANY OTHER person. Grow up, assume responsibility for your own life, and stop crying like a freaking baby.

• Reed

I am white and a taxpayer. But I understand to fix the issue we must first take responsibility for the wron doings of our ancestors. Not to mention the mistreatment of minorities continued long after jim crow laws and slavery. The head of The Association for Chiefs of Police, just came out and made a formal apology for the historical mistreatment of minorities by the police. He said this is the first step in repairing a broken system. I agree

• lspanker

I am white and a taxpayer. But I understand to fix the issue we must first take responsibility for the wron doings of our ancestors.

Whose ancestors?

• Reed

Mine and other people whose ancestors were part of these atrocities.

• lspanker

Any “atrocities” committed by whites have been just as well matched in the rest of the world. Post-colonial Africans have had no problem with kidnapping, raping, enslaving and murdering each other by the millions, without whitey lifting a finger to stop them. You’re a naive and gullible fool if you think white folks are the only ones who did anything bad to others.

• Reed

I am not talking about the atrocities of anyone else or anywhere else. I am talking about repairing the broken relationship between races we have here in the United States. By first realizing the wrongs of the past and putting our best foot forward. First step to a solution is realizing there was a problem. Its going to be long journey to rid the United States of bigotry and prejudice but I do think it can happen. Why do you keep bringing up other stuff? We are talking about issues that affect us in our country.

• lspanker

I am not talking about the atrocities of anyone else or anywhere else. I am talking about repairing the broken relationship between races we have here in the United States.

Take it up with the likes of Obama, Al Sharpton, Calypso Louie Farrakhan, and all the other race-hustling blacks who found it cheap political capital to blame Whitey for the current misery and dysfunctionalism of the black community. Sorry, but it wasn’t white people who invented gangsta rap, inseminated all those 16 and 17 year old hood rats and ran off on them, and it’s not white folks who are murdering the vast majority of black males – it’s other black folks.

• Reed
          • lspanker

Whose ancestors? My parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts were all very active in the Civil Rights movement, and to what thanks? To live in a black neighborhood, attend primarily black schools, and suffer the rage of low-IQ negroids who tried to beat me up on a daily basis, threw rocks at our windows, broke into our house and stole stuff, killed my pet dog out of hatred because he was “white”. I used to have to run a mile and half home after school because there was no way I was taking the school bus home, as I would have the crap beaten out of me if I did. If you want to feel guilty for something some white person did to some black person years ago, be my guest, but you want ME to make amends for something I never did? Screw you – I paid my dues a long time ago. Take your white guilt and shove it up your white liberal @ss. Got it?

• Reed

Lol you are such a victim.

• lspanker

Not a victim at all. Just pointing out the reality that you fail to see in your blind goo-goo liberal world. I’m sick of whining babies like you, Black Lives Matter, the gender-confused, and everyone else who p!sses and moans because not everyone feels compelled to roll over anytime they demand something. You don’t like something, get off your @ss and do something constructive instead.

• Reed

Ohh no you were definitely playing the victim there bud. So what neighborhood, did you grow up in then? And like I said earlier the president for The Chief of Police Association, came out a few weeks ago and gave a formal apology for the historical mistreatment of minorities by the police. What do you say about that?

• lspanker

Ohh no you were definitely playing the victim there bud. So what neighborhood, did you grow up in then?

In my life, I have lived in Queens NY, Oakland, West Altadena, CA and southwest LA. I know what I speak of.

• Reed

So did you live in the slums?

• lspanker

I lived in all sorts of places, and attended High School @ John Muir HS in Pasadena, whose 2 most famous graduates were Sirhan Sirhan and Rodney King, two winners if there ever were one. Anyone familiar with that place knows was a cess-pit it was, and how the faculty and admin bent over backwards to deny that there were every any racial problems there…

• Reed

I really feel sorry for you.

• Troy Eckhardt

BINGO!

• Aiden H Ginseng III, Oppressor

As the OP, I wish I were shocked that my completely valid and well-reasoned post above is now in moderation. Guess there is no valid or well-reasoned response to it. Wake up, liberals! These regressives are not liberals: they are far more openly racist and illiberal than the worst contingents of the right.

• lspanker

It’s the game that flaggers play that is actually taught to far-left “online activists”. Keep flagging enough posts so that the mods get tired of having to deal with it and lock the thread out from further commenting, which the lefties consider a victory.

• Nunya Beeswax

Next up : holding their breath until they turn blue.

• richard scalzo

A hundred morons make the news? They forget that there are SIGNIFICANTLY more rational thinking people who weren’t there.

• Drive-by-Comment

How can the UC administration support blatant racial discrimination? If a group of whites were blocking blacks or hispanics there would be outrage and I’d join them. These kids need to be sat down in front of a speech of MLK and and forced to watch it until they get the message.

• Spoonie Gee

It would be on the front page of every newspaper in the country and lead newscasts from coast to coast. The only group you’re safely allowed to malign in this country are white men.

• Reed

Did you even watch the video?

• lspanker

I only watched it for a few seconds, because in all honesty as a Cal alum I was completely embarrassed by these screaming fools.

• djende

An LGBTQ group wants a space to organize and suddenly racism is brought into the conversation. please, save it

• lspanker

Once again, observations made elsewhere, such as @ sfgate.com, indicated that the protesters were allowing “students of color” to pass through but not white students.

• Alexis Faith

Per the article, it looks like they were being given a space to organize. It just wasn’t the space they wanted, so they’re being oppressed.

• Richard Jefferies

It is like Frankenstein’s monster, isn’t it? All these Universities going out of their way to placate “minorities” with all kinds of special privileges, and now their monster is demanding their destruction. Maybe if they would have read more classical literature and less gender studies authors they wouldn’t be in such a pickle.

• Troy Eckhardt

Ha! Well said.

• Reed

• Troy Eckhardt

This is a very salient point: There is little evidence that non-whites were let through as a rule. Never-the-less, behavior like this warrants immediate expulsion. UC Berkeley is not Romper Room. There are serious adults who attend, and these infants are disruptive to people who are actually, you know, students.

It occurred to me that if I had been there, I would have joined for a few minutes, and backed my way through to where I wanted to go.

• Reed

But everyones point on here is that they arent reporting the racism. Yes, they arent because there was none. There is nothing about protesting that will get you expelled. Freedom of press is a right under the constitution. Is it a little ridiculous yes, but not anymore ridiculous then the people on here claiming it is racist. Because fox news said it was and they didnt bother to actually analyze the video themselves. If they did they would see something called selective editing and realize there is evidence that proves they were only allowing colored people through. Not including the several eye witnesses of color who have came out and said they werent allowing even them through. The main point is the people commenting here who are claiming it was racist. Are obviously very confused and didnt bother to examine the video.

• djende

There’s literally zero racist elements to this story

• lspanker

Re-read the comments – I replied to you above.

• Syd

Many clubs at Cal don’t even have assigned spaces or access to spaces for meetings. Of those that do, I am sure that more than just the LGBT club has been given space in the basement. Perhaps you have no idea that the student-led KALX radio station has been operating from a basement space since 1995. They sometimes joke about it.

• Reed

You are a fool

• Troy Eckhardt

It’s sort of hard to tell to whom you are directing your vitriol, as you reply to others’ comments, but refer to mine. Then there’s the triple-posting of the same verbiage. Some of the people to whom you are replying aren’t even commenting in this thread That’s a bit foolish. Perhaps like a good millennial, you’re just being “ironic,” but I don’t think so.

• lspanker

It’s sort of hard to tell to whom you are directing your vitriol

The type of half-crazed protesters like these militant LGBT types don’t care where they fling their spittle, as long as they get noticed.

• Reed

Come on give me your best shot on my “real” examination of the video. You have nothing to say because the video is bullshit. There have been multiple accounts of people of color who were there, let me say it again they were actually there. That have said they were denied passage as well and by no means were they only targeting certain races. Lol but facts don’t matter to you fools so you will just brush it off as if its not true.

• lspanker

The fact that ANYONE was blocked from going through Sather Gate was wrong. Grow up, Princess – you have NO right to block access to students, faculty, or anyone else with legitimate business on the Cal campus just because you don’t get your way.

• Reed

Yea so don’t stand up for what you believe in that will get you far in life. Wont it?

• lspanker

If you believe in being a crybaby and a sponge, and wish to stand up for it, don’t be surprised when you are regarded by others as a crybaby and a sponge.

• Reed

Well no, I think their belief is that they are being treated unfairly. Which they have a legitimate argument for.

• lspanker

Treated “unfairly” because they can’t get everyone else to kow-tow to their desires of the moment?

• Reed

Everyone else? They are protesting for adequate space to hold their meetings. Your arguments make absolutely no sense.

• lspanker

They were given adequate space, they just didn’t like it. As I said before, they can find their own space and pay for it on their own dime if they aren’t happy with what they have been offered for free.

• Reed

What about the other groups that have adequate space? Its okay for them to have adequate space? But not the LGBT group, yea that makes sense.

• lspanker

What about the other groups that have adequate space?

Maybe they know how to negotiate to get what they want, instead of acting like childish @ssholes.

• Reed

Ohh yea im sure it has nothing to do with the fact they arent the LGBT group.

• lspanker

So the LGBT groups makes them “special”?

• Reed

No obviously not because they were put in the basement where no other groups meet.

• lspanker

As I said, go find a way to rent your own space if you don’t like what’s being offered to you.

• Reed

Lol and I already countered that argument with the fact that other groups get more adequate space. Which means to any logical person, there must be some sort of reason for this.

• lspanker

Lol and I already countered that argument with the fact that other groups get more adequate space.

So what you’re telling us is that every other group was happy except for yours. That makes you guys out to be an even worse group of crybabies than I previously thought.

• Reed

Lol you are assuming I am part of this group, which is completely inaccurate. I am looking at this as an outsider. But yes I would be pissed if I started a group and originally we had adequate space comparable to other groups. But then we were all the sudden sent down to the basement with less space to be hidden, like we were some sort of monster that shouldnt be seen.

• Reed

Your point holds no merit. You forget to mention the fact the space was not adequate for the group in terms of square footage and location. Compared to other groups of the same size.

• lspanker

Your point holds no merit. You forget to mention the fact the space was not adequate for the group in terms of square footage and location.

As determined by WHO, some objective criteria for assigning club space or the members themselves?

• Deyin Lemin

It’s interesting that The Daily Californian omitted the fact that these vile protesters blocked white students from entering and going to campus and disrupted their study. White students, including some Asians, must go around to enter and go to campus. They even got pushed back by these people.

Search for Youtube video “Berkeley Students Harass Students and Disrupt Campus” for video reference.

They just don’t seem to get it, while every one has the right to protest, it’s not right to harass and disrupt students at campus, I’m pretty sure that’s even illegal.

So question to Alexander Barreira, Jessica Lynn, and The Daily Californian, why didn’t you mention this in your article? Is it because you feel ok to lie by omission, as long as it’s for the “correct” political view?

• cadcam

Yes, it was probably a civil rights violation. How ironic.

• Spoonie Gee

They’re in training to be professional journalists…in other words, big fat liars.

• urjokingme

You guys are giving them too much credit. DailyCal is independant newspaper led by students… its almost not even a real news paper.

• Reed

• TheRatiocinator

Wow DailyCal . . . you’re really afraid to let this post of mine stand? Because it’s suddenly in “pending” status. Truth hurts, or what? I note that you deleted another post criticizing you for similar things. If you’re going to be in journalism you might want to get used to taking heat, instead of censoring it. I know censorship is the leftist way, but really, smart Berkeley folks ought to be able to handle being called out for their slant, eh?
    >>>>>
    How is it that your “reporting,” DailyCal, fails to mention that white students were blocked from passing through the protest while people of color were not? You didn’t think that was an important part of the story? The chanting of “Go around! Go around!” didn’t mean enough to mention? Or does the racism of these protestors not play into the left-wing narrative in a nicey nicey way for you? If you’re going to report, REPORT.
    Time for a little self-examination of your editorial policies, methinks.

• NotMyCupOfTea

I agree

• Deyin Lemin

My post suddenly got pending status too. I already got 18 upvotes for it for calling out the dailycal and the writers of this article.

• Shane Behling

Just another Leftist Shithole!!!

• Liz Marie

With a 68% graduation rate, no wonder these students engage in these activist protests. It will be the only type of job they will be able to apply for! Good Luck Millennials….you are going to need it when you realize you are not entitled to everything that your professors told you were.

• lspanker

Their “victimization” becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy when they either drop our or get kicked out, with student debt and no realistic way to ever pay it back, because they never learned any useful skills along the way.

• Bob Smith

Wait until they get in the real world, and find out their degree’s in hugs and safe spaces only gets them a job a Mcdonalds…… if they are lucky…….

• richard scalzo

You mean that degree in Puppetry won’t get them a seven figure job offer?????

• lspanker

Not even a 3-digit job offer. More along the lines of “pay to play”, the way the majority of rock bands in LA get their gigs at the local nightclubs down there.

• becky

And only if they can figure out how to turn on the self serve kiosks.

• lspanker

Like THAT’S going to happen, unless perhaps they start requiring coursework in Machine Automation Principles and PLC/HMI programming in the Left-Handed Transgender Victims Of Color Studies program…

• arcsinice

And consider this…………. These worthless, vicious, hate filled anarchist scum were able to gain admission to Cal.
    Remember that Janet Napolitano is the President and Ex-Officio Regent is the Governor, none other than Jerry Brown. Both of whom along with the Chancellor openly allowed the rightful convey of Caucasians to not just be prevented, but, as well, harassed…………….. The police were given strict orders to observe only and not protect or intervene.

Let that marinate.

• Abdul Keddou

Makes me want to urinate on them, not let them marinate.

• I don’t think anarchist means what you think it means.

• lspanker

It’s going to be quite interesting when these students leave Cal, try to find jobs, and find out that ‘demanding” stuff not only doesn’t work in the real world, but gets doors slammed in your face when the grown adults tire of dealing with you. The spineless wimps known as college administrators have done a great disservice to students (and their parents) over the last few decades by caving in to their childish demands instead of cutting off talks and tossing them off campus when they prove to be incapable of conducting themselves as grown adults…

• Reed

Why would you want to work for a company that treats some groups unfairly anyways? I would say most companies don’t act this way in the present day. If you feel that you are being treated unfairly and just put your head down about it what does that say about you as a person?

• lspanker

Why would you want to work for a company that treats some groups unfairly anyways?

Who’s being treated unfairly? Act like an a-hole, get treated like an a-hole. It’s called karmic justice.

• Reed

In what way did did the group act like a-holes. The university kicked them out of their space, how did they act like a-holes? They protested after they believed they were mistreated. What You were saying by your statement was that them being relocated was because of the protests. The protests came after so obviously this wasnt the reason.

• lspanker

In what way did did the group act like a-holes.

Go away, child, you have no clue what you blather about…

• Alexis Faith

They weren’t kicked out of “their space”, they were attempted to be relocated to another area of which there appears to have been more than one option and they chose to take offense because it wasn’t “visible enough”, which sounds more like a case of attention seeking than anything.

• MisshapenApe

“What do you mean there isn’t a ‘colored people only’ coffee brewer? I have to share same coffee brewer with my WHITE coworkers??? DISGUSTING!”

• Alexis Faith

It seems to have been working well for them so far.

• Mr. Chow

“It feels like they’re not taking our demands seriously.” And they shouldn’t either.

• ThomasCollins1

Not until they also block the white professors. That’s when I’ll take them seriously.

• Alexis Faith

The fact that they’re calling them “demands” in the first place show why they shouldn’t be.

• Leon Wilkeson

These people have no idea how much they make people despise millenials. Furthermore, like the boy who cried wolf, they have made people tune out real issues by acting like hysterical dbags and freaking out about made-up nonsense.
    Your prestigious degree is worthless if your attitude is horrible and you think ANYONE owes you anything. No one owes you anything. You will fail in life.

• Alexis Faith

I’ve heard a case of LBGT kids crying they’re being oppressed because the school wouldn’t let them have their LBGT prom on the exact same night as the official school prom. Even an older LBGT who actually faced real oppression was disturbed at this attitude.

• Abdul Keddou

These filthy gender-benders and racist minorities do NOT speak for this Arab-American. I unequivocally oppose the racist hate group Black LIES Matter. BLM is built on a lie because violent thug Michael Brown NEVER had his hands up and NEVER said “Dont shoot.”

• Tom Bombadil

Seriously, how do you people even call this journalism? You fail to acknowledge the fact that they’re blocking all the white students from passing and that they’re allowing anyone non-white to pass. You fail to acknowledge the fact that they’re apparently trying to cure “racism” with racism. Your lack of journalistic integrity is staggering.

• elrod

Kids are confused between rights and privilege.

• Abdul Keddou

They are not confused. They are fascists.

• MarineAssassin

I find it peculiar that the people who have the most issues with the idea of people of color are people of color. They see themselves as “people of color” rather than just men or women. As a result, they are forever anchored by their “victim” mentality. I often see this behavior in most adolescents who pretend to be adults. If these snowflakes want safe spaces, then they don’t belong at a university. And if they are desperate for “safe spaces for people of color” then I suggest that they contact Toby the Clown Foundation for an admission packet to clown college.

• RichmondVaCane

Future historians will look back on this Age of Political Correctness and shake their heads the way we look back on the Salem Witch Trials and shake our heads.

• righthandofthewolf

where is a terrorist when you need one!

• MarineAssassin

They are locked arm-in-arm at Sather Gate.

• TheRatiocinator

• carlos webber

By the way, how black do I have to be to enjoy a Safe Space ? Someone give me a number.

• lspanker

How about ?

• carlos webber

So am I black ?!?! I self identify as black. That should be enough.

• carlos webber

I love it when racist people protest racism. Best comedy on the Internet.

• carlos webber

Lets Hear ! Go Queer !!!

• Alex

Screw these guys.

• 1776

Why didn’t you include the part about the protest when the protesters were letting minorities through the gate but blocking white students.

• their thuggish nature shows true

• slargusparg

They are holding the school hostage because they don’t like the safe spaces that were provided for them. It is interesting how Democracy is touted as so great on the left. It is becoming a very familiar pattern where people of color (aka black people) use force, threats, and extortion to get their “demands” met without offering sacrifices themselves. To take up the spot of a more qualified white or Asian student and then complain about your lot and make demands and threats to those providing everything to you is the very definition of “privilege”.