No-no on BB and CC: Don’t invalidate new minimum wage compromise

online-bb-cc
Caragh McErlean/Staff

At this point, you don’t get to decide whether the minimum wage increases to $15. It already will. Measures BB and CC, which both would have increased minimum wage to $15 by different years, have been superseded by an ordinance City Council passed in July.

Both must be rejected to uphold the validity of the council-passed ordinance.

The two measures would have increased minimum wage to $15 per hour, but one would have taken until 2019 and the other until 2017. Over the summer, Councilmember and mayoral candidate Laurie Capitelli negotiated a compromise that City Council approved. The minimum wage will now increase to $15 by 2018.

But it should be noted that Capitelli, who claims to be a champion of the approved minimum wage hike, had voted against an increase to $15 multiple times in years past.

Regardless, Berkeley voters should reject BB and CC. They’re unnecessary and would invalidate the hard-fought minimum wage compromise.

Endorsements represent the majority opinion of the Senior Editorial Board as written by the opinion editor.

• powerbus

There’s more to BB and CC than minimum wage, and the City Council’s minimum wage Ordinance has deleted a very important part of both. The requirement that service charges, which customers are led to believe are being paid to Employees, should actually get distributed to the employees is not a part of the City’s new Ordinance. The requirement that employers keep track of Service Charges collected and report them is not a part of the City’s Ordinance. The City has completely deleted the definitions of Employer and Employee, and changed the definition of Service Charge, and there’s no clear mandate for an Employer to give any part of the Service Charges collected to any Employees.

There seem to be several “No on CC” “Yes on BB” “No on CC and BB” and other pro City Ordinance campaign funds that have collected well over $30,000. What’s interesting is that they all were started by Andy Hoffman, the owner of Comal Restaurant which automatically tacks a 20% Service Charge on every bill. I’ve heard some people complain that the wait staff in his restaurants are not the friendliest. Maybe his campaign to keep Service Charges from being paid to staff explains why.

• Measure CC was put on the ballot because people signed an initiative petition. It will raise the minimum wage faster and is better for workers. Further, if CC passes, the city council can not willy-nilly undo it. And if, disastrously, BB passes — then the so-called “compromise” is out the window and minimum wage is postponed even longer.

NOBODY was authorized by signers of the petition for CC to “compromise” away the initiative. The compromise is a scab compromise — an abuse of voters who signed the petition.

Vote YES on CC.

Vote NO on BB.