Berkeley police arrest man after multiple gunshots on Telegraph Avenue

alerts_DapreeDoyle_file
Dapree Doyle/File

Update 11/o6/16: This article has been updated to reflect new information from BPD Lt. Andrew Rateaver and details about the suspect in custody. 

Berkeley Police Department arrested an 18-year-old man early Sunday morning after responding to reports of multiple gunshots near the intersection of Telegraph and Durant avenues about 1:50 a.m.

Earlier that morning, about 1:30 a.m., a large crowd of people had congregated in front of Pappy’s Grill and Sports Bar on Telegraph Avenue, partying in the street, according to a UC Berkeley student in the vicinity, Robert Becsenescu.

“They would stop cars and hit them,” Becsenescu said, adding that the crowd looked to be made up mostly of nonstudents.

With the crowd growing rowdier, Becsenescu said a man took out a gun and shot three times in the air.

At 2:33 a.m., Berkeley police arrested Meleko Norris on suspicion of willful discharge of a firearm, carrying a concealed weapon, carrying a loaded firearm in a public place, being a felon in possession of a firearm and being a prohibited owner in possession of ammunition, booking documents show.

There were no injuries reported during the incident, according to BPD Lt. Andrew Rateaver.

Berkeley police responded within minutes of the initial reports, according to BPD officer Christopher Schulz, and cordoned off the street. By about 2:20 a.m., the area had been reopened for traffic.

Residents of Channing-Bowditch Apartments gathered across the street in front of Maximino Martinez Commons after evacuating when fire alarms were triggered. Two fire trucks from Berkeley Fire Department responded to the nearby area.

Norris is currently being held at Berkeley Jail on a $240,000 bail. His arraignment will be held Tuesday at 9 a.m. at Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse.

Contact Alexander Barreira and Alexandra Yoon-Hendricks at [email protected].