Berkeley protest erupts after Donald Trump wins presidency

n3_mraphael
Mikaela Raphael/Staff

Update 11/09/16: This article has been updated to reflect new information about the protest damage and the status of an injured protester.  

Shortly after Donald Trump won the presidency on Tuesday night, more than 200 students poured into the streets of Berkeley, headed toward Oakland City Hall.

At about 11:30 p.m., protesters began marching down Telegraph Avenue in response to the presidential election results, chanting “Not my president” and lighting flares. After crossing into Oakland, protesters jumped onto Highway 24, with the scene quickly becoming chaotic.

“We don’t feel the government is hearing our voices when we say Donald Trump is not our president,” said UC Berkeley sophomore Esmeralda Cortez, who was at the protest. “The fact that he’s our new president says a lot about where our future and our generations are heading.”

n4_mraphael

Mikaela Raphael/Staff

A woman was hit by a car at about 12:15 a.m. on the eastbound side of the freeway near Claremont, with multiple reports that the driver of the car allegedly tried to flee the scene. Protesters subsequently created a barricade to stop the car and attempted to break the glass.

Paramedics later came to treat the victim and traffic was contained to one-lane.

California Highway Patrol transported the victim to a hospital with major injuries, according to CHP Officer Damian Cistaro. CHP also attempted to contain the protest, telling students to go home.

The woman is currently being treated at Highland Hospital in Oakland. The hospital described her condition as stable on Wednesday, according to CHP spokesperson Officer Sean Wilkenfeld.

After the incident, protesters exited the highway and began marching toward Oakland City Hall, where Oakland Police Department officers in riot gear blocked protesters at the intersections of Broadway and 14th Street and Broadway and 11th Street, as of 2:20 a.m.

One protester lit a newspaper stand on fire that was put out by police shortly after. According to OPD spokesperson Joe Wolfcale, five businesses in the downtown Oakland area reported vandalism to OPD as a result of the protest, including broken windows and graffiti. Protesters also set multiple garbage cans on fire, according to Wolfcale.

Oakland Police Officer Clifford Doan said that OPD would continue to hold the line until the protest was “under control.” According to Berkeleyside, OPD gave first orders for protesters to clear the streets at around 2:45 a.m.

The Trump victory was a stunning defeat for Hillary Clinton, who many projected to win prior to the votes being counted. Earlier on Sproul Plaza, students watching the election began burning Trump dolls as he pulled ahead in electoral votes.

n2_mraphael

Mikaela Raphael/Staff

Juan Alvarado, a campus third year transfer student, said he was at the Sproul watch party for hours then went home when it seemed obvious to him that Trump was winning.

“Then I heard the chanting, and I knew I was done coping,” Alvarado said, who later joined the protest.

Another protest is scheduled to take place on Sproul Plaza tomorrow at 12 p.m.

• David

The Democratic party for the followers is more of a cult of worship than a philosophy. They worship Hillary as a god, but, don’t understand any philosophy, not in the form of a slogan or rally.

• David

One student called for impeachment of Donald Trump. What do our Universities teach those students for someone to come up with statement like that. If that student is an example, these students have no idea what the Constitution says and what it is about. Did the DNC put them up to these protests? Universities have been used as recruiting activist centers by the DNC.

• roccolore

Liberals don’t protest. They riot.

• David

Liberals don’t discuss pros & cons. They promote agendas and you are expected to believe what they believe. Period.

• Woolsey

How predictable. These Cal students are the future members of the American elite and are upset that a candidate won that hasn’t been bought off by the Kleptocracy that runs the US government.

• David

The democratic party and government have a network marriage that works like a cartel and cronyism. We see examples of that DNC relationship with the FBI, DOJ, IRS and the Admin. They cover for each other or make problems disappear.

• bjc1961

He is your president. Now the Democrats have to figure out how to win the next election. If Hillary had won the Republicans would have to figure out how to the next election It’s what a Representative Republic does.

• Jawaralal_Schwartz

Berekeley students of earlier generations understood well that we must respect the elective processes in this country. That doesn’t mean we can’t oppose them in office and even try to remove them.
    Demonstrators today are either uneducated fools or just plain irresponsible,

• Mark Talmont

When are these fools going to figure out they lose all credibility when the pull an idiotic stunt like blocking the freeway? The SFGate site says the person hit was injured severely; this article insinuates that this was somehow the driver’s fault. If you barge onto a freeway at night don’t be surprised if something bad happens.

Other accounts describe smashed windows in downtown Oakland. And this accomplishes what? The people who endure the risks of running a business in Oakland have civil rights too.

• Juan Alvarado, a campus third year transfer student, said he was at the Sproul watch party for hours then went home when it seemed obvious to him that Trump was winning.

• Kurt VanderKoi

Protesters should renounce their US Citizenship and seek refuge in Venezuela!

• lspanker

Perhaps they should go to North Korea, which holds the same respect for the democratic process as they do. I hear Pyongyang is quite lovely in the winter…

• Ned Oneida

Yeah! Ship ’em out!! Pyongyang…super funny. I agree that anyone who steps in the way of the democratic process and protests a legitimately voted in president needs to leave. You’re always saying it like it is man, and I dig that about you!

• Bleu66

That is one motley crew!

• CalAlum99

Well, the good news for this group is that they’re in California, which is still very much blue. What’s up with Bay Area activists always having to jump on the freeways?

• ShadrachSmith

Activists hurt the Ds a lot this cycle. https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/549dfa37de1206093b1d902ec6ecc51db2092bd67d88d06fda46df29454b391d.jpg

The face of academic ethos, what’s her name from St. Louis. This destroyed the effectiveness of the DNC’s university based Jacobin mobs to intimidate political opponents. That snapshot was a tipping point for Obama’s Title IX OCR reign of terror. They won’t quit, but now they are a manageable nuisance.

• LibertyToad

You have to love statist “tolerance”. What a bunch of sore, baby, losers.

• lspanker

I had to laugh at the dimwit with the sign claiming Trump is a fascist pig. Talk about cognitive dissonance center stage.

• Sharon Lee Rose

idiots. I have not seen any Republicans riot. I have only seen democrats riot during this entire thing. This leads me to believe democrats are a type of radicals and a poor excuse of Americans. We republicans accepted Obama and we put up a great argument to stop corruption which was democrat Hillary. We prevailed. Amen. Charge these rioters with tough fines and teach them to humble themselves like republicans. Grow up America.

• lspanker

Not a Republican here, but I’m in total agreement. Thank you.

• lspanker

“We don’t feel the government is hearing our voices when we say Donald Trump is not our president,” said UC Berkeley sophomore Esmeralda Cortez, who was at the protest.

The people of this country have spoken. We had an election. Your candidate lost. GET OVER IT.

• jason graham

God you people need to join a cult. Strap on some reeboks and drink some kool aid then take a long nap!

• lspanker

Wow, what insight and maturity from you oh-so-enlightened “liberals”…

• roccolore

You Democrats are the cultists.

• Mara319

Well, tough.

• “We don’t feel the government is hearing our voices when we say Donald Trump is not our president,” said UC Berkeley sophomore Esmeralda Cortez, who was at the protest. “The fact that he’s our new president says a lot about where our future and our generations are heading.”

• why