UC Berkeley faculty rally in response to Trump victory

equity_emilia_bulfone
Emilia Bulfone/Staff

UC Berkeley professors and senior campus leaders led a rally of more than 400 people on the steps of Sproul Hall at noon Thursday, organizing in light of Donald Trump’s unexpected presidential win.

The rally, announced Wednesday night, was held to reaffirm diversity and inclusion on campus and allow community members to voice their concerns about the election. The demonstration was led by faculty equity advisers, who are appointed in each department to support equity and inclusion.

“People were feeling disempowered and physically threatened. I thought, what can I do?” said campus associate professor Mary Wildermuth, who organized the rally. “We should come together to show students that we support diversity, equality, inclusion — to show that we’re stronger together.”

The rally began with faculty members expressing their disappointment in Trump’s election. Many described their status as immigrants or children of immigrants and spoke out against Trump’s stance on issues such as climate change and LGBTQ+ rights.

Members of the community were then given time to speak about their own feelings regarding Trump’s win.

“We were all woken to the sad reality that structural racism is still alive and strong,” said campus senior Maria Cecilia Perez to the crowd. “The results of this election have ignited a movement against bigotry.”

The crowd included staff and students from UC Berkeley, Berkeley High School and Emery High School, as well as Berkeley residents. Many individuals held signs reading “Cal supports inclusion” and “United against Trump.”

“I’m here today because I believe in respect of all people and that every person matters,” said campus junior Paige Rosenberg. “I believe that we are really strong together and that all these differences that are trying to separate us will bring us stronger.”

Midway through the rally, students from Berkeley High arrived carrying a banner that read “Native Solidarity.” Though the high schoolers didn’t know about the rally, they decided to join when they saw the crowd, according to former Berkeley High student and California State University East Bay student Eva Sanchez.

Sanchez walked through the crowd with a cup of burning herbs and led a demonstration that encouraged the audience to place their right hand on one another’s shoulders.

“I am you and you are me,” Sanchez asked the crowd to repeat. “If I love and respect you, then I’m loving and respecting myself.”

Members of the Cuauhtli Mitotiani Mexica youth dance group performed a traditional Aztec dance as a closing ceremony for the rally, which ended about 1:30 p.m.

After the rally, more than 60 Muslim students attended an afternoon prayer in front of Sproul Hall at 3:30 p.m. Because of the nature of Trump’s immigration plan and statements about Islam, the prayer session was intended to provide a safe space for Muslim students.

The rally comes after two peaceful protests took place in Oakland and Berkeley on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, respectively, and a third, more violent protest that took place in Oakland Wednesday evening.

BAMN has organized another protest march from Berkeley to Oakland planned for Thursday night.

Contact Sakura Cannestra, Chantelle Lee and Lillian Holmes at newsdesk@dailycal.org.

• Art Lives

UC Berkeley is the center of the leftist universe. All anti-American sedition emanates from there and spreads like an insidious cancer. Maybe they should have considered indoctrinating students (throughout California and beyond) with a more advanced set of ideals then pure leftist idiocy. The special snowflakes have been kept in a tight bubble and now that it has burst, UC Berkeley is responsible for a lot of the bad that is going on.

• posidous

Guess they need to get educated. They can not read and understand the signs they are displaying. The English language is pretty hard to learn, just amazing that university professors are so ignorant.

• Dave Doleshal

I have never been in favor of panicking or unwarranted fear-mongering. However, when we see someone come to power who is gleefully praised by the leaders of the Klu Klux Klan, openly cheered on by the NAZI party, and enthusiastically endorsed by the leader of every fascist group, anti-LGBT politician, and lauded by the most xenophobic people, racists, and fanatically anti-feminist organizations on this continent, seems like faculty and students SHOULD be concerned.

• lspanker

Do you have any reason to believe that Trump would want their support or curry their favor? The fruitcake lefties said the same thing about Ronald Reagan in 1980, and it never happened.

• Dave Doleshal

I don’t know how to accurately predict what Trump will ACTUALLY do. Presumably more level-headed mainstream Republicans will warn him against such alliances. However, we’ve just been through an election in which Trump at least seemed to be actively courting racist, xenophobic, sexist, and anti-feminist sentiments, as if he WANTED to be seen as someone sympathetic to such notions and trying to attract support from such segments of the population. He seems to be selecting staff members of this ilk. Reagan was indeed a conservative, and therefore could not have helped but receive the support from at least SOME such people. However, Reagan never seemed to be greatly wanting to attract such supporters, and seemed to be quite genuinely disturbed by their presence in a way that Trump does not.

• lspanker

we’ve just been through an election in which Trump at least seemed to be actively courting racist, xenophobic, sexist, and anti-feminist sentiments

“Seemed to be” is exactly what the media wanted to portray. If you think CNN, CBS, MSNBC et. al. were trying to present an even-handed look at the facts, then you’re quite naive. The MSM on this country actively supported Hillary, and saw it as their duty to slant the coverage as needed.

• roccolore

It’s not surprise that liberals rally AGAINST America.

• lspanker

As Ann Coulter once pointed out, the real reason the liberals were opposed to fighting terrorism had nothing to do with their approval of religious fundamentalism. They were happy to fight religious fundamentalists, they just didn’t want to be on the same side as the United States.

• Ned Oneida

Yeah! I hate it when people blatantly ignore a chance to work towards meaningful change and instead opt for empty vitriol towards their fellow countryman. Stupid libs are always doing this, right lspanker?

• lspanker

Meaningful change doesn’t start by smearing half of the country and telling them they are “deplorables” because they dare dissent from the officially sanctioned PC views. Your attempts at snarkiness make it clear that you don’t get it…

• Ned Oneida

Right! You’re absolutely correct yet again. Although a candidate called half the nation deplorable; I didn’t. And actually, don’t you often make disparaging comments against those awful nasty baby liberals? I mean, in effect aren’t you doing the exact same thing? Hey! You and Hilary are like soul sisters or something!

• ShadrachSmith

You twits did more to elect Trump than you will ever know. And here you are pathetically bringing more ridicule on Ds even after the election. Don’t be a stranger :-)

• Grandpa Dino

I love that ‘inclusion’ excludes everyone with whom they disagree! Whoopee!

• Donna Ma

What is the educational fee in Berkeley? 50 000$ per year? Trump promises lower medical insurance, grants for kids from poor families, development of small towns and development of industries. However, rich kids do not care about such things. They want their parents continue to rob the poorest.

• Kurt VanderKoi

Actually, Cal DOES NOT support diversity. There is a reason UC Berkeley is sometimes referred to as “The People’s Republic Of Berkeley”. Cal supports politics of the LEFT.

• Donna Ma

Clintons and all previous presidents, who are the part of mafia that ruled the world, destroyed Iraq, Somali, Libya, Syria, Ukraine and ets., covered entire world with military bases. I wonder why the immigrants and refugees from the above mentioned countries want Clinton as e president.

• garyfouse

Sounds like everybody at Berkeley is a victim. Instead of respecting the decision of the voters in what was a fair and orderly election Tuesday night, Berkeley professors stand there and reinforce the myth that the Big Bad Trump is coming after them.

Take a deep breath because everything is going to be fine and life will go on. We are a nation of laws and a constitution that protects everyone equally. What Trump intends to do is secure our borders (finally) and try to keep people out of our country who would do us harm. What’s wrong with that?

Get on with your studies and get on with your lives.

• keeplearning

I think folks are responding to things like Trump’s calls to prevent people from entering the U.S. based on their religion, to forcibly deport 11 MILLION people who live here (please think about the reality of that), bring back torture, commit war crimes (“carpet bombing” and targeting the families of “our enemies”), punish women who obtain abortions, imprison political opponents, and punish/censor journalists for unfavorable coverage. His degrading comments about women and casual bragging about sexual assault are also troubling, as is his complete denial of climate change. The KKK and white supremacist/white nationalist groups are celebrating. Marginalized groups are being violently targeted and/or threatened in Trump’s name, and attackers are empowered by the intolerance rhetoric they are hearing from him.

We need to protect, respect, and listen to each other. Please challenge violence and intolerance when you see it.

• garyfouse

Points well taken. Trump was hardly my choice to get the nomination. He is not a politician and indeed made intemperate statements about what he would do as president. I was also troubled by his comments about women. In the end, the reason I voted for him is because I could not stomach the utter corruption of Hillary Clinton.

Trump will never deport 11 million people because it is impossible. He will greatly increase border security, which is badly needed. I say this as a person who has been married to a Mexican immigrant for 41 years (legal immigrant). I fully understand the reasons poor Mexicans are forced to come to the US to support their families. I fully understand that the overwhelming majority are decent, hard-working people. Yet, we must have a way to stop the criminal elements from coming here, those who bring drugs, the cartels and the gangs.

I believe that what Trump will do is secure the border, cut off funding for sanctuary cities (who defy federal laws) and focus on the criminal illegals. Once that is done, I’ll bet he will join with Dems to find a way to regularize the 11 million others which would allow them to stay and work. The flood has to be stopped, however.

As for American Muslims, the American people have been pretty good in not punishing innocent Muslims for the crimes of others. I hope that continues. Yet, we must recognize that we face a threat. ISIS has fighters in Syria and Iraq who came from every Western country. We must carefully vet anyone who comes here.

I’ll bet you will find that Trump will be a much more moderate president than you expect.

• Taehwan Kim

I really hope I also had your ability of staying extremely optimistic.

You are just assuming somehow he is going to be a different person than someone who he has been up to this moment, once he’s in the oval office. I find it more reasonable and realistic to perceive him as a extremist, bad-tempered white supremacist-misogynist who thinks global warming is a conspiracy theory, because just everything he has been saying and doing indicates that way. And I can only make a judgement of someone based on what one does or says. I cannot predict his true intentions or whatnot.

I really, really do hope he has been acting for his entire life for whatever reasons, and turns out to be a moderate, reasonable person. But you have to understand it is basically impossible for many because of his all track record. I feel it is more likely that his approach to immigration will cause a lot of victims like Central Park Five (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Park_jogger_case). I think it won’t hurt anyone to do peaceful protest like this, because it is just sending a message that he should be cautious not to repeat the same mistake like that. People have real fears. And they have rights to express that.

• garyfouse

I’m not sure what relevance the “Central Park 5” has to Trump. Are you referring to the Central Park jogger rape case? What’s the connection?

• Stephen M

“I’ll bet you will find that Trump will be a much more moderate president than you expect.” You may well be right about that, but at this point it is just a guess based on wishful thinking. Another guess, based on what he himself has said and done, is that he will be a disaster both domestically and internationally. But he will find scapegoats and pick fights, both domestically and internationally, to distract from his failures. Something tells me he learned a few lessons from Putin’s domestic Russian popularity.

• lspanker

You may well be right about that, but at this point it is just a guess based on wishful thinking.

Seems you do a lot of “wishful thinking” yourself, given your need to pigeon-hole every into your little left-right world view.

• roccolore

Fascist Democrats like you are the intolerant ones who defend terrorists and jihadists. You support the black KKK BLM, Mexican KKK La Raza, Muslim KKK CAIR. You are the sexist for being pro-abortion and pro-Islamist. You are the racist who defends copkillers. You are the bigot who hates our troops. Fascist Democrats like you not only cause hate but you will also fake the hate for sympathy.

• Stephen M

Trump was elected by about 25 % of eligible voters. He won. Great. But his whole campaign was xenophobia, sexism, ignorance and lies. People are going to react to that and rightly so. Given everything he has said why wouldn’t people be very scared?

• garyfouse

What are you scared of? That he is going to secure our borders? That he is going to deport 11 million people? (Impossible) Maybe you’re afraid he is going to grope the White House interns.

• Stephen M

You seem fairly thoughtful, doesn’t having an arrogant, narcissistic, ignorant and temperamental man as commander in chief of the US give you any cause for concern? It does me.

• garyfouse

Yes but having a corrupt person like Hillary gave me more pause for concern. I voted for what I thought was the lesser evil.

• Stephen M

I don’t get the corrupt Hillary stuff. I don’t think that the facts bear that out. I have to hand it to Republicans, they have done a great job of vilifying her for the last 30 years. I just hope that you don’t end up with a 1950s Supreme Court and an immense debt. For the rest of the world, I really worry that he will scapegoat some country and attack them to distract from his failures at home. The only thing important to Trump is winning for himself.

• Grandpa Dino

Don’t worry about an immense debt. Your democrats have already ‘accomplished’ that!

• lspanker

You have to admit that, even for a liberal, Stephen is absolutely clueless about these type of things…

• Stephen M

A lot of leftovers from The Bushies:

The difference between the projected and actual debt in 2011, the budget office said, could be attributed largely to:

$3.5 trillion – Economic changes (including lower than expected tax revenues and higher safety net spending due to recession)
            $1.6 trillion – Bush Tax Cuts (EGTRRA and JGTRRA), primarily tax rate cuts but also some smaller spending increases
            $1.5 trillion – Increased non-defense discretionary spending
            $1.4 trillion – Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq
            $1.4 trillion – Incremental interest due to higher debt balances
            $0.9 trillion – Obama stimulus and tax cuts (ARRA and Tax Act of 2010)[47]

• lspanker

Obama had 8 years to do something about it, so why didn’t he?

• lspanker

I don’t get the corrupt Hillary stuff.

Then you need to broaden your sources of information from the mainstream media mouthpieces who function as nothing but mouthpieces for the DNC.

I just hope that you don’t end up with a 1950s Supreme Court and an immense debt.

We ALREADY have a massive debt – $18 TRILLION and counting. Where have you been again?

The national debt grew the most dollar-wise during President Obama’s two terms. He added $6.494 trillion, a 56% increase, in seven years.

https://www.thebalance.com/us-debt-by-president-by-dollar-and-percent-3306296

You know what’s absolutely hilarious about you liberals freaking out about Trump? Just about every nasty, negative thing you can come up with about him is also a trait of Hillary, and just about every fear scenario you can cook up (hatred, division, poor economy, out of control debt) is already fait accompli. Seems your type does an awful lot of projecting…

• garyfouse

I suggest you pick up a copy of Clinton Cash by Peter Schweitzer. It describes the Clinton Foundation. You may think it’s a hit piece, but the FBI reportedly interviewed him several times. Keep in mind that the investigation into the foundation is on-going. This is corruption on a massive scale.

As for the emails, I spent 8 years total stationed overseas with DEA in Thailand and Italy. During that time I worked in the embassy in Bangkok and the consulate in Milan. All of our communications were through the State Dept. communication system and we had to deal with their categories of classification. It was absolutely incredible to think that the secretary of state was so careless in her handling of classified communications. The general public has no grasp of the enormity of her transgressions in this area.

• Stephen M

Yeah, It does seem to be a hit piece… I’m waiting to see Trump places his companies in a blind trust…

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/may/05/clinton-cash-bill-hillary-scandal-book

• garyfouse

But is it true? That is what is important.

• Stephen M

Really? “According to a new NBC News/SurveyMonkey poll, seventy-two percent of registered Republicans “still doubt” the President’s place of birth. Forty-one percent outright disagreed with the statement, “Barack Obama was born in the United States,” while only twenty-seven percent of Republicans agree.” What does truth have to do with anything ? When will you believe it’s not true? If the birther thing tells us anything the answer is never.

• lspanker

Nothing like changing the subject when you can’t answer the question, huh? This isn’t about Obama – nobody cares about him anymore, he’s washed up and done with. It’s about how much you know about the candidate who you desperately defend – and from what we can tell, all you know about her is that she had a [-D] next to her name, and that was enough to get your vote and support.

• garyfouse

The election should have taught you about polls. I believe Obama was born in Hawaii.

• Stephen M

My point exactly, you only believe what you want to believe.

• lspanker

The national polls were pretty good.

Yet you’re all shocked and butt-hurt about the results, go figure…

• Kathy Pearson

Oh Gary, I hope you read this. I knew Trump was going to get elected. The media’s coverage ensured it but she a coworker who had 3 kids by 3 different guys, never married, got daycare assistance so she could afford to work. Qualified for food stamps, SoonerCare/Medicaid for her kids, probably lived in hud-subsidized housing given how little we earned, asked me what about Trump, he would be good to vote for, right? I knew then it was all over but the shouting. People like that elected him. And i think people like that deserve him and everything he does. Tell me why the first 10 milluon immigrants that Regan naturalized did not scare you or your party. What is different this go round? Their assumed political persuasion? Are they making too much money an hour now? What’s different? Does Trump towers not have immigrant help luke everybody else?

• lspanker

Yeah, It does seem to be a hit piece…

Yeah, it’s a “hit piece” even though it’s thoroughly researched with plenty of supporting evidence, but you hear some half-baked rumor about the KKK and you accept it as gospel truth and run around like Chicken Little crying that the sky is falling – because it’s about the other candidate, not yours.

• roccolore

You Clinton supporters deserve to be villified.

• lspanker

You seem fairly thoughtful, doesn’t having an arrogant, narcissistic, ignorant and temperamental man as commander in chief of the US give you any cause for concern?

And Hillary, the woman who don’t consider input from others, calls half the country “deplorables”, threw furniture in violent fits on more than one occasion in the white house, and unleashes obscenities on those who get in her way, is “none of the above”? Give us a break, you’re so far removed from reality that it’s not even funny.

• roccolore

You are the ignorant one who defends illegal aliens.

• DON Cheri

That has already been done…Billy boy had no issue with that

• lspanker

They never have an issue with it if it’s one of their own, which is the reason why nobody in their right mind takes those bloviating arse-clowns seriously.

• Kathy Pearson

He could grope a white house intern but you know what he WON’T be doing….. Marrying Marla Maples. Oh wait, bad analogy…. He already did it.

• dwss5

Stephen M wrote:
        “But his whole campaign was xenophobia, sexism, ignorance and lies. People are going to react to that and rightly so. Given everything he has said why wouldn’t people be very scared?”

The appropriate acronym for what it may seem to many people you are almost Desperately and MISTAKENLY trying to actually stoke and make worse is the big “F” of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.)
        E.g.,
        – Fear from those “very scared” people who are [currently] lashing out with essentially useless Anger and Violence.
        – Fear of ferreting out all local Trump supporters, attacking them (physically and via Social Media) and possibly planning future retaliatory measures against them such as the current CEO of GrubHub has implied doing.

Am now curious what form of YOUR OWN stoking of Uncertainty and Doubt on the fait accompli of Trump’s Presidency will be?

• Stephen M

People are legitamately afraid. No one truly knows what expect from him.

• roccolore

You liberals are the cowards. Go back to your “safe space.”

• Stephen M

C’mon bud, look who is afraid. America is shaking in it’s boots at the thought of another terrorist attack. Too terrified to let in humanitarian refugees from Syria. Will the US have the balls to let in women and children from Syria? Liberal Canada has already taken in 30 000…

• roccolore

So why are liberals demanding “safe spaces” with coloring books and pillows because of the election?

• lspanker

That’s what is so frustrating in dealing with these hysterical anti-Trump morons. They have no concern over terrorists and violent criminals being able to walk across our borders, but are hysterical about the guy who actually wants to deal with the problem.

• lspanker

Funny how you wanted to elect the same woman who with Obama’s approval caused the mess that created the refugee crisis in the first place… and you call US “idiots”?

• Kathy Pearson

Wait! Hillary Clinton ordered the invasion of Iraq? How did I miss that. Good thing we have you repubs to keep us all straight and informed. Should I have put straight in quotes? (Wink, wink.). (Uh….. That’s a reference to right wing intolerance of anything different and not cookie-cutter look alike, in this instance anything not traditionally acceptable heterosexual. Personally, I am ecstatic Trump won. Am a firm believer in you reap what you sow. Can’t wait to watch it all play out. Repeal the ACA, bring back preexisting conditions exclusions. Please take tax dollars abs give them to the rich so it will be cheaper on
            Them to send their kids to private superior schools. Build the wall no matter what the cost. Repeal NAFTA, too. You’re ready to give up Mexican produce, right?

• roccolore

You are the ignorant sexist who defends radical Islam. You are the xenophobe who lives in an all-white neighborhood while lecturing on diversity. You are the liar who defends terrorists and copkillers.

• Stephen M

You are an idiot bud.

• roccolore

You’re the idiot who supports terrorists and illegal aliens.

• lspanker

Nah, you’re the idiot. All you do is hysterically spout the nonsense that has been stuffed in that small skull of yours by your handlers.