Democracy is dangerous

Euphoric Dyphoria

J Jung_online

After the results of the election, I simply watched as the votes trickled in. I wasn’t particularly surprised with the outcome, though the potential impacts of the Donald Trump presidency wouldn’t be internalized until many days later. This was America’s choice for president and undoubtedly the end result of the political system in the United States.

At first, some responded by decrying the Electoral College as an outdated system, not representative of American democracy. Hillary Clinton’s winning of the popular vote, now by a margin greater than 1 million votes, provided a rallying call for those who believed that the democratic process failed along the way, fueling change.org petitions to have Clinton become POTUS.

I’m sorry America, stop signing your petitions and calling the election rigged on Facebook. Donald Trump is your shiny new turd, the prize you won on Decision Night 2016. You can denounce his politics and his Electoral College victory all you want, but Donald Trump is the legitimized outcome of American democracy.

How could that be? How could a misogynistic, racist, homophobic demagogue like Trump become president of the United States? Because the nature of the political system relies upon the votes of the 60 million Americans whose priorities either align with Trump or who are so insulated from his dangerous rhetoric that they can afford to ignore it. Because millions of white Americans either are unconcerned about the safety of people of color, queer individuals or undocumented immigrants, or are actively seeking to destroy, demonize and deport these populations. Because America is misogynistic, racist and homophobic, easily swayed by demagogues and by emotive appeals to nationalism, by sexual abusers and politicians, by rapists and frauds.

And this statement will clearly make some individuals uncomfortable. They cry out that there are millions of Americans furiously upset with the results of the election, with Trump and the new, hostile and dangerous climate. They shout in disgruntled protest that American democracy elected Barack Obama, the first Black president! American democracy fought for Hillary Clinton, the first female candidate in a presidential election nominated by a major party! American democracy espouses freedom, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, and is working to protect people of color, queers and marginalized populations!

While all of those things sound true, they don’t change material reality. This new hostility and danger created by Trump is actually only the overt bubbling-up of hate and violence that has existed in America since before transgender bathroom restrictions, before separate but equal, before U.S. military service members massacred 150 to 300 Americans at Wounded Knee, before Americans owned, traded in and killed other Americans for profit.

Obama was the first Black president, but his administration deported more than 2.5 million undocumented individuals, more than any other president in American history, earning him the moniker of Deporter in Chief. Obama approved relentless drone strikes on civilian populations, inciting hatred and condemnation across the Middle East and across Muslim communities.

Clinton stood in 2008 and said that marriage was between a man and woman, and though she was widely praised for having same-sex couples in her announcement for her bid for president, these queer individuals served only to politically pander — to convince that somehow, Clinton does not represent the same political establishment that demonizes, criminalizes and trivializes queer individuals through its legislation, the same establishment that only commodifies and uses queerness as a political tool to increase its constituency and get votes.

Many postelection thoughts, especially by my more privileged or white peers, reflect attitudes of unity in the political process. They want more inclusion in the political process, accounting for more disgruntled or unrepresented voices, obviously not of more marginalized people-of-color communities, such as indigenous groups; not of the millions of former felons who are disenfranchised; not of more transgender individuals; not of more differently abled individuals — but of white Americans. They advocate not to leave behind the millions of working-class Americans who feel as though Trump is an empowering figure who best represents their political interests in order to reunite our country and prevent any further division.

Regardless of how much rural white Americans feel disenfranchised by the political system, by the Grand Ol’ Party, by their elected representatives, their votes for Trump still make them responsible for the legitimization of white nationalism and the alt-right, for the emboldening of white supremacy and openly racist and violent groups, for the dehumanization and invisibilization of minority populations and marginalized groups. And unfortunately, this is America, and this is who American democracy caters to. Their unabashed racism and xenophobia do not make them any less American than any Clinton supporter or Bernie Bro. Their xenophobia and misogyny does not strip away their American citizenship or their proud white heritage tracing their family back to Minutemen revolutionaries and slave-owning plantation owners.

American democracy is the vehicle, the catalyst by which voices such as Mike Pence, Rudy Giuliani, David Duke and the KKK, Stephen Bannon and Breitbart, and Donald Trump become the gatekeepers of rhetoric and politics in the United States.

The reality is that American democracy has never truly represented or protected people of color, indigenous groups, queer individuals or plenty of other marginalized groups in society. These groups are included when convenient and are sidelined when not. They are included when they vote for Clinton, when they vote blue or lean left. They’re sidelined when they protest too disruptively, when they prioritize their safety over white money, material protections over ideological consensus.

If American democracy doesn’t represent me, doesn’t protect me and uses me only as political capital to win votes, then why should I protect it? I’m not sure what a better alternative should be, but at least I can start by saying that what we have now has never failed me so spectacularly as it did in 2016.

J Jung writes the Wednesday blog on genderqueerness and transitioning. Contact her at [email protected]

• Kill TalmudScum

Whiny Third World welfare parasite anti-White racist J Jung wrote:

“If American democracy doesn’t represent me, doesn’t protect me and uses me only as political capital to win votes, then why should I protect it?”

That’s an excellent question. Here’s an answer for you: WHY DON”T YOU GET YOUR BIG FAT STUPID AFFIRMATIVE ACTION REAR END BACK TO THE BROKEN DYSFUNCTIONAL THIRD WORLD TOILET THAT YOUR PEOPLE BUILT????

Then you won’t have to worry about democracy anymore.

• Kill TalmudScum

Hmmm, I guess you could go back to the broken Third World toilet that you and your welfare-parasite family crawled out of, and complain about that for a while? I mean, why live in such a “racist, misogynistic” society as AmeriKKKa, when you could go live in the wonderful broken violent third world toilet that your low-IQ idiot grandfather built?

• FreedomFan

Yes America is just awful. Gee I wonder why Democrats lost. Carry on.

• lspanker

Here’s something far more dangerous than Trump being elected:

Mexican Mayor Arrested After Hundreds Massacred and Cooked in Network of Ovens

Mexican authorities have arrested the former mayor of a rural community in the border state of Coahuila in connection with the kidnapping, murder and incineration of hundreds of victims through a network of ovens at the hands of the Los Zetas cartel. The arrest comes after Breitbart Texas exposed not only the horrors of the mass extermination, but also the cover-up and complicity of the Mexican government.

On Thursday morning, Coahuila state authorities arrested Sergio Alonzo Rodriguez, the former mayor of Allende, Coahuila, on the charge of aggravated kidnapping, information provided to Breitbart Texas by the Coahuila government revealed. Rodriguez was the mayor of Allende, Coahuila in March, 2011, when a commando of Los Zetas kidnapped dozens of people who were then murdered and incinerated.

Earlier this year, Breitbart Texas published the results of a three-month investigation into how Los Zetas were able to kidnap, torture, execute and incinerate approximately 300 victims–including women and children–between 2011 and 2013. Approximately 150 of the victims were taken to the Piedras Negras state prison where cartel members used 55-gallon drums to incinerate the human remains.

Mexican court documents obtained by Breitbart Texas revealed that the wave of terror unleashed by Los Zetas began as an internal spat between Los Zetas, resulting in the leadership ordering the murder of every individual related, connected or associated with two former members. The kill list included women and children. Court documents and testimonies from victims’ relatives revealed that while the kidnappings began in 2011, they continued well into 2013 when the crimes came to a temporary halt.

Despite the magnitude, news outlets in both the U.S. and Mexico largely ignored the story as cartels continued to reign in that country with impunity. After Breitbart Texas’ exposé, authorities charged a handful of Los Zetas members in connection with the incinerations inside the prison, but public officials had managed to escape scrutiny.

The governor at the time of the massacre, Humberto Moreira, was accused and later released in Spain for having been a surrogate of the Los Zetas cartel–however he, too, has managed to avoid facing a judge in Mexico. Moreira had various assets seized by U.S. courts.

The arrest of the former mayor comes just one day after CNN’s Jake Tapper tweeted out Breitbart Texas’ exposé on the incineration of hundreds of victims in Allende. Tapper’s tweet set off a social media storm among U.S. journalists who have largely ignored the horrors carried out by cartels in Mexico.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2016/11/17/mexican-mayor-arrested-hundreds-massacred-cooked-network-ovens-breitbart-expose/

• Nunya Beeswax

I agree, democracy sucks. We should change our system of governance to Dictatorship by Oppressed Tumblrinas.

• lspanker

You just love assuming the role of the perennial victim, don’t you?