Get your professor to notice you before it’s too late

clog.professor.schiffer
Emma Schiffer/File

Now that classes have officially come to an end, the only thing between you and complete freedom (well, at least until grades come out) is RRR week and, of course, finals. But while you’re celebrating another completed semester, you’re suddenly hit with the realization that you just spent thirteen weeks in a class with a professor or GSI who doesn’t actually know who you are. And making sure they do is important for when they submit your final grade. You want to be their favorite face in the crowd so they can give you your favorite grade. But now that classes are over, how on earth are you supposed to get your professors to notice you in a mere week, something that clearly failed to happen in the past 13?

Don’t fret, because one week is more than enough time. We at the Clog have come up with some clever ways to catch your professor’s attention and make sure they remember exactly who you are before it’s really too late.

Go to office hours

This is by far the easiest thing you can do in order for your professor to finally meet you and realize that you’ve been sitting in their class for a very long time now — fourth row, second seat from the left. Plus, you can actually ask them clarifying questions on any topic covered. Who knew office hours could be so helpful? As long as your questions are intelligent, they’ll enjoy how engaged and interested you are in the course material. Note: this usually looks more impressive when there’s no immediate test.

Go to more office hours

In fact, when you’re there for the first time, go ahead and make appointments for every single day for the rest of the week leading up to the final. Your professor will love your commitment to learning and will certainly reward your efforts when it comes to grading time. And don’t worry about being annoying — you have to make up for all the missed office hour sessions over the past weeks, and that takes priority over their feelings. They understand. They’re probably human too.

Find them around campus

And when we say “find,” we definitely mean to closely watch when they come in and leave their office, break for coffee, go to classes (sit in on all their classes if you’re really dedicated), take their lunch break and leave at the end of the day. Now that you know when and where they are at any time during the day, just pretend you coincidentally run into them around campus. This is an excellent tactic in order to get them to recognize your face quickly and efficiently.

Bring up their research

Whether you’ve taken our advice and gone to their office hours, or decided that stalking them in FSM is a better approach, make sure you do two things. First, greet them, but once the formalities are out of the way, quickly bring up their research and mention how interesting you think it is. Professors don’t have much time, so it’s important to get to the point as soon as possible. They love talking about the research they’re working on, and they will definitely remember your apparent and genuine fascination. In return, you’ll be compensated with a higher grade — so it’s really a win-win situation.

Whether these strategies are effective in achieving your end goal depends on how much effort you’re willing to put in during RRR week. The results may be uncertain, but even if your professor hates you by the end of the week, at least there’s no way they’re going to forget who you are now. Alternatively, you could just put the same amount of time into studying and getting a high enough grade that you won’t need your professor to know who you are anyway. But that’s no fun!

Contact Jenisha Sabaratnam at [email protected].