KALX DJ, Berkeley barista confirmed dead in Oakland fire

Update 12/06/16: This article has been updated to reflect additional information from the Oakland Police Department, Highwire Coffee Roasters and the Oakland Fire Department.

Update 12/07/16: This article has been updated to reflect additional information from the SFGate

Chelsea Dolan, a DJ for campus radio station KALX who went by the moniker Cherushii, and Em Bohlka, who worked at Berkeley’s Highwire Coffee Roasters, have been identified as victims of the Oakland warehouse fire that took place Friday, according to a press release issued by the city of Oakland on Monday night.

In the new press release, the city of Oakland released the names of 10 more victims of the fire — among them UC Berkeley student Jenny Morris who was earlier reported by a friend to have died. Another campus student Vanessa Plotkin, Morris’ roommate, is still missing after reportedly attending the event, as is UC Berkeley alumnus Griffin Madden.

The other seven identified victims are Micah Danemayer, Riley Fritz, Alex Ghassan, Michela Gregory, Edmond Lapine, Benjamin Runnels and Jennifer Kiyomi Tanouye. SFGate also reported that Jonathan Bernbaum, a Berkeley High School alumnus, died in the fire.

On Sunday, the city of Oakland initially released the identities of seven victims, including UC Berkeley alumnus David Cline, Nick Gomez-Hall, who worked at Counterpoint Press in West Berkeley, and Donna Kellogg, who worked at Berkeley’s Highwire Coffee Roasters.

Of the 36 confirmed dead, 26 of the victims’ families have been notified and the city of Oakland has released the names of 17. City officials are working to identify three more victims through scientific identification, according to the press release. The identity of a 17-year-old victim has been confirmed but is being withheld from the public, as the victim was a minor.

According to Oakland Fire Department Battalion Chief Robert Lipp, officials have managed to resolve many of the instability issues with the warehouse. The parapet wall that was presenting the greatest danger has been removed and some of the flooring has been stabilized. Only one corner of the warehouse remains unstable, Lipp said at a press conference Tuesday morning. Officials will work towards stabilizing this last corner throughout the day.

As of Tuesday morning, no additional victims have been found and approximately 85 percent of the building has been searched, according to Lipp.

Contact the Daily Californian News Staff at [email protected].

• tjimmel

I am so sorry to hear about Cherushii. She had such a great show on Thursday night. She drew me into college radio again and I tuned into her show whenever I could. She picked out such great, sublime music for her sets. I never knew how she found all the music for good shows week after week. I started to realize she was mixing in her own music, too, and was just more impressed. I never knew her real name.
    I am so so sorry to hear about this and all the others who died in this tragedy.