UC Berkeley receives 85,000 freshman applications, marking another campus record

sproulfile_rgarner
Rachael Garner/File

More than 85,000 high school students applied to be part of UC Berkeley’s fall 2017 freshman class — a record-high number.

The 85,000 applicants represent a 3 percent increase from last year, according to a campus news release. Applicants’ academic measures, such as grade point average, are similar to those in last year’s applicant pool, on average.

California resident applications increased 7.6 percent from the previous year. Additionally, applications from underrepresented-minority high school students in California — specifically African American, Native American and Chicano-Latino — increased by 6 percent, the press release said.

The increase in UC Berkeley applicants comes along with a record number of applicants to the UC system. About 171,449 applied for freshman admission to at least one of UC’s nine undergraduate campuses — the highest number of applicants yet — according to a press release published Monday by the UC Office of the President.

“This year’s applications affirm, once again, that Californians’ demand for a UC education keeps getting stronger,”said UC President Janet Napolitano in the press release. “This is a testament to the excellence of California’s public research university, and reinforces the imperative to continue working with our state government to preserve UC’s quality and affordability, and to ensure there is a place at the university for every deserving California student.”

The record number of UC applicants also reflects an increase in the number of in-state applicants. Among the 171,449 applicants, more than 111,600 California high school seniors applied to the fall 2017 freshman class at a UC campus, a 6 percent increase from last year.

UC admissions decisions will be announced in the spring.

Chantelle Lee is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.