Berkeley College Republicans required to raise up to $10,000 to host Milo Yiannopoulos

milo-yiannopoulos

Controversy continues to surround the upcoming campus visit of conservative Breitbart journalist Milo Yiannopoulos, as the campus administration is requiring that the Berkeley College Republicans raise up to $10,000 to host him.

BCR invited Yiannopoulos to visit the campus as part of his 18-stop tour across U.S. colleges. His impending visit has generated controversy across the campus community given his straightforwardness and extreme conservative views. UCPD has determined the $10,000 to be a rough assessment of the costs of security, according to campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof.

The $10,000 estimate is not an exact number, according to Mogulof. He added that UCPD cannot give a more accurate estimate until BCR has filed the proper forms, which it had not done as of Friday.

“The ballpark is $7,500 to $10,000 and that is solely based on the number of people (attending),” Mogulof said. “The final number will be based on objective criteria without regard for the content for the event.”

Mogulof said the cost estimate is dependent only on objective criteria, such as the event’s venue, whether it is open to the public and whether the speaker brings his or her own security — not on the content of the event or the views of the speaker.

According to ASUC President Will Morrow, charging student organizations for security costs is standard practice — other student groups, such as SUPERB, have to pay costs as well. He said when student groups invite a high profile individual to the campus, it is their responsibility to help cover the cost of security.

“I think it’s important that adequate safety and security concerns are readdressed in preparation for this event given the security and safety concerns that have arisen when Milo Yiannopoulos has spoken at other campuses,” Morrow said

But Celine Bookin, the head of communications for BCR, expressed her frustration with the $10,000 estimate, calling it unreasonable. She said requiring such a high cost allows the campus to indirectly prevent BCR from expressing its views, because it makes it difficult for BCR to raise enough money to host the speaker.

“The absolute magnitude of the charge is extreme and appears designed to make it prohibitively expensive, causing BCR to cancel the speaking engagement,” Bookin said in an email. “That would be a backdoor attack on free speech.”

David Craig, the treasurer for BCR, said the board is not commenting on the assessment at this time. He added, however, that BCR subsists from its ASUC grant of about $3,900 and does not do its own fundraising.

Some other campus organizations, however, said they have found UCPD’s estimates to be fair and accurate. Obadiah Lovrak-Hamrick, a concerts manager for SUPERB, said in an email that in his experience, the estimates the campus provides are pretty close to the actual cost of security for the events.

“The security costs usually mirror (UCPD’s) estimates exactly,” Hamrick said in his email. “The UCPD costs are often high and can be prohibitive, but they give it to you ahead of time so you can budget ahead of time.”

Yiannopoulos is scheduled to visit the campus Feb. 1.

Contact Michael Lee at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @_HyunkyuL.

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated the Berkeley College Republicans received $7,500 from an ASUC grant. In fact, BCR received $3,900.

• Count_Yob

In the aftermath of the riots and forced cancellation of Milo’s appearance the Berkeley College Republicans should demand their money back. They obviously didn’t get any effective security for it.

• garyfouse

I suggest the CR consult with their UCI counterparts. UC Irvine tried to suspend them for a year over a security detail in their own sponsorship of Milo. In the end, UCICR made the school look like a bunch of dopes.

I find it humorous how the poor cupcakes on the left are so afraid of Milo and what he says (conservative viewpoints). As a result, they try to stamp out free speech. Meanwhile, Milo laughs all the way to the bank.

• roccolore

The fascist left hates anything that is pro-America. I wonder if they would have forced the Muslim, anti-Jewish, or other leftist groups to do the same.

• Spikier Than Thou

Pretty sure Farrakhan paid for security, and he’s decidedly anti-Jewish.

Milo just whines about it because he’d like to cheap out and have his own goons handle security.

• Steven Richards

Is that you, Triggly Puff?

• JSpicoli

I like it when the UC Alumni Association calls previous donors like me and asks why no more donations. I tell them the blue eyed devil has the checkbook now biotch. Guess who aint cracking it open?

• lspanker

So the lefties are demanding $10K as insurance that their side won’t cause a riot?

PENAL CODE – PEN
    PART 1. OF CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS [25 – 680] ( Part 1 enacted 1872. )
    TITLE 13. OF CRIMES AGAINST PROPERTY [450 – 593g] ( Title 13 enacted 1872. )

CHAPTER 7. Extortion [518 – 527] ( Chapter 7 enacted 1872. )

518. Extortion is the obtaining of property from another, with his consent, or the obtaining of an official act of a public officer, induced by a wrongful use of force or fear, or under color of official right.
    (Amended by Stats. 1939, Ch. 601.)

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=518

• Mark Talmont

Why wasn’t this an issue when Farrakhan spoke in 2012?
    http://www.dailycal.org/tag/louis-farrakhan/
    the comments below the various op-eds there are instructive

For those interested here’s what happened at Milo’s speech at DePaul:
    http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/27585/
    it seems fair to ask what is the point of paying for the extra security when they don’t do anything?

TheFire keeps an account of these speech-denials. Score looks pretty lop-sided:
    https://www.thefire.org/resources/disinvitation-database/#home/?view_2_search=2016&view_2_page=2

CampusReform.org is another monitor of the madness
    https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=8573
    which typically doesn’t make the “news”.

• Spikier Than Thou

It may also be worth asking what sort of ‘discussion’ Milo’s fans wanted to have that evidently merited the police deciding that it was the protestors who needed shielding rather than the supporters or Milo himself. Thecollegefix seems to be of the opinion that a poli-sci major has better training and judgement in crowd control than trained police officers. Now, for all I know, he *might* have better expertise in crowd control – but I thought it was supposed to be the conservatives who deferred to the police by default in such matters?

I do see people campaigning against Farrakhan – rightfully, IMO.

• Flarp

If I were to be angered at anything it would at the Daily Cal.
    This is standard practice for any large event. The security money is only based on the number of people attending and the venue, as it should be. The fact that Milo is the speaker for the event is completely irrelevant.

There’s nothing out of the ordinary going on here. It seems that the Daily Cal just made this article to trigger a reaction over nothing.

Shame on you for posting this clickbait.

• Alt-Reich are vile scum.

• How about hiring the Hells Angels as security? Its been done before.

• Are you nuts? Why do we want conservative Breitbart journalist Milo Yiannopoulos to speak in Berkeley?

• lspanker

You have a point there. It must be quite horrible to be subjected to ideas you don’t agree with but can’t refute.

• Shirkhan

Troll who responds to his own comments detected.

• lspanker

Where did I respond to my own comments, child?

• Shirkhan

You logged in as Eveningstar and posted a fake liberal response.

• lspanker

JFC, you’re even more stupid than I thought…

• WhiskeyRocks

You’re breathtakingly ignorant and delusional.

• David Skurnick

It’s unfair to force the College Republicans to pay this money, when their opponents who are the threats to security. If the speaker were a civil rights leader and racists were threatening violence, I’m sure UC would find money in their budgtet to provide adequate security.

• JimRossi

Well-put, sir.

• b1443959

Any examples of this having happened before? (asking because I don’t know, not because I’m disagreeing)

• David Skurnick

According to the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE), this psecial security charge is based on content, so it’s prohibited by the 1st Amendment (when the univeristy is public). Some colleges have withdrawn the security fees when FIRE intervened. E.g. see https://www.thefire.org/?s=secuirity+fees+conservative+speakers+

FIRE has a specific discussion of MIlo Yiannopoulos at https://www.thefire.org/milo-yiannopoulos-tour-highlights-dangers-of-security-fee-censorship/

• Shirkhan

Your source is wrong. I organized for the Black Student Union and Students for Justice in Palestine — we had to pay for our own security for large events.

• lspanker

I organized for the Black Student Union and Students for Justice in Palestine

That pretty much tells us all we need to know about you…

• Shirkhan

And your response pretty much tells us all we need to know about you, Adolf. We’ll beat you now like we beat you in 1945.

• lspanker

And your response pretty much tells us all we need to know about you, Adolf.

Funny, given it’s your side (Palestinians) that wants to kill the jews, not mine.

• Shirkhan

I’m jewish.

• lspanker

No, you aren’t. You lie.

• Shirkhan

לנאצים מעולם לא היה אכפת מעובדות.

• David Skurnick

Shirkan — three questions:
            1. Were your events at a public or private university?
            2. Did you get a lawyer and try to get the security fee rescinded on Constitutional grounds?
            3. How large was the security fee? Was it small enough to be comfortably affordable, or was it very big, like UC Berkeley’s demand of $10,000?

• Shirkhan

1. The events were at UC Berkeley
            2. No. There is no constitutional rights to have your event funded by the state.
            3. We had to pay thousands of dollars.
            4. Sorry to disappoint you.

• lspanker

Funny how you didn’t specify the exact amount. Can we call you “Shirky” from here on due to your desire to evade answering the question?

• Mark Talmont

TheFire, while nominally conservative, distinguishes itself markedly from leftist groups by actually standing up for free speech regardless of the source. They helped win a suit filed after a similar issue arose when students at the University of Western Michigan invited rapper Boots Riley to speak:
          https://www.thefire.org/western-michigan-u-settles-boots-riley-speech-tax-lawsuit-stand-up-for-speech-scores-fifth-victory/
          You can follow the link there for more info on their ongoing StandUpForFreeSpeech project; note that conspicuous by their absence from these disputes are the ACLUers and the so-called “Open Society” groups funded by Rothschild front man Soros. Sadly their mobs keep winning, recently managing to prevent Ben Shapiro from speaking at DePaul U
          http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-depaul-speech-schapiro-edit-1118-md-20161117-story.html
          Though he went off-campus and effectively defeated their purpose; maybe the BCReps should just consider that alternative.

• JimRossi

I’ve had experience with the FIRE and respect their work.

• Shirkhan

Who told you that the opponents are the threat to security? Looking at Trump rallies and the violence of alt-right people toward people of color, it seems to me like the threat actually comes from Milo and his neo-Nazi clan that has gathered to troll this website.

This is not a university-sponsored event. UC should not fund the Republican party, or neo-Nazi factions within it.

• lspanker

Looking at Trump rallies and the violence of alt-right people toward people of color

Liar – 98%-99% of the violence at Trump rallies was directed AGAINST Trump’s supporters, not “people of color”. Just because clowns like you repeat that nonsense over and over doesn’t make it true.

• JSpicoli

^^^^^^This

• Shirkhan

Pulling numbers out of your hat and saying that they’re true works at Breitbrat, not anywhere else in the world.

• lspanker

They aren’t “pulled out of my hat”. Go look at the various and sundry photos and videos of violence at Trump rallies, and you will clearly see that it’s filthy lefties like you were responsible for nearly all of it.

• lspanker

Speaking of numbers, you still can’t tell us how much previous speakers had to put up for security deposits, can you? But then again, given you’re an admitted BLM and pro-Palestinian activist, you’re used to not telling the whole truth, are you?

• Redx Baron

The article tells you how much previous speakers paid… Other clubs (like SUPERB) say the estimate was fair and inline with events that they’ve been involved with.

“Some other campus organizations, however, said they have found UCPD’s estimates to be fair and accurate. Obadiah Lovrak-Hamrick, a concerts manager for SUPERB, said in an email that in his experience, the estimates the campus provides are pretty close to the actual cost of security for the events.

Triggered over your own lack of reading comprehension/patience to finish an article.

• Shirkhan

The Berkeley College Republicans have finally shown everybody where they are standing: together with white supremacist.

• Nathan Hale

I bet you don’t have the courage to attend and say that to Milo. You would find it challenging.

• Shirkhan

Yeah, I’m really peeing my pants. Grow up.

• Nathan Hale

Urinary incontinence is a symptom of bladder cancer, oh infected one.

• dwss5

Nathan Hale wrote:
        “I bet you don’t have the courage to attend and say that to Milo. You would find it challenging.”

I agree, but our thread’s most obvious troll DOES seem to be sufficiently courageous to respond here…..

• Redx Baron

I’d gladly say it to Milo. The Alt-Right was founded on 4chan and then nurtured through the Daily Stormer.

In fact, you know what, since reality doesn’t seem to dawn on these right wingers very well: http://www.dailystormer.com/a-normies-guide-to-the-alt-right/

Straight from Andrew Anglin himself.

• Nathan Hale

Milo is not a white supremacist and he will humiliate you in front of the audience. I will look for you in the video.

• lspanker

Coming from a BLM supporter, that’s a laugh. It’s merely what you eejits say any time you can’t win an argument.

• ShadrachSmith

It’s called the ‘heckler’s veto’. It is the administration giving campus SJWs the power to control speech on campus because the administrations likes SJWs better than you.

It is the administration granting illegal powers to favored groups to impose factional tyranny. Insofar as that matters.

• Shirkhan

“According to ASUC President Will Morrow, charging student organizations for security costs is standard practice — other student groups, such as SUPERB, have to pay costs as well. He said when student groups invite a high profile individual to the campus, it is their responsibility to help cover the cost of security.”

…But don’t let the facts confuse you, dude.

• ShadrachSmith

BS. 10k is a heckler’s veto. Why lie?

• Shirkhan

Come on. All the organized alt-right supporters here can very easily raise $10k. No?

• ShadrachSmith

The hecklers veto violates the rule of law. Can we start with that? You know the 10k ‘non-refundable damage deposit for things other people might break’ is a bit over the top. Can we agree on that? Then you can lecture me some more, but can we agree the 10k fee is inappropriate/illegal?

• Shirkhan

No, we can’t agree on that.

First, because your quote about “non-refundable damage deposit for things other people might break” is actually not a quote. It’s something that you made up.

Second, because in reality, the charge is for security and has been asked from every single student group that organizes large events in campus.

Third, because if you had bothered to read the article you would have learned that the 10k figure is just an estimate, not a final number. When the final number comes we could talk about whether or not it is overblown.

Look, reality is that you guys are not even bothered by this expected charge. It’d be easy for the neo-Nazis of this country (aka “alt-right”) to raise the money. You just want to self-victimize and whine even when you don’t have any basis for doing that. So whine on.

• lspanker

Funny, but the imaginary “Neo-Nazi” Trump supporters hiding under rocks in your fertile imagination have engaged in far less wanton violence, and done far less damage than the deceased guests of honor of your various BLM demonstrations or the Palestinians for that matter.

• JimRossi

I’m not sure what the “alt-right” is, but I’m pretty sure I don’t belong to it. But I DO support free speech, and have written Milo Y. to welcome him to UC Berkeley.

• Shirkhan

If you’re really not sure what “Alt-right” is– I strongly encourage you to do research. And if you support free speech – then rest assured, your hero is speaking everywhere, spreading hate and violence and celebrating his privilege. And he will speak in Berkeley, too.

• ShadrachSmith

I strongly suggest you spend the weekend reading from Project Syndicate, Soros’ Open Society official meme source. You will, in just a week-end, find everything you believe and the current state of the art sophistry supporting that belief.

You are smart, and educated. Why defend SJW factional tyranny in the 1st place? Why not defend 1st amendment principles instead? Why not defend every man’s right to speak the truth as God gives him the light to see it?

• Shirkhan

Of course I will defend every person’s right to speak. But Yiannopoulos doesn’t need any such defense: he speaks loudly and clearly everywhere. What you’re asking is that California taxpayers will fund his speaking events–and this is something I fundamentally oppose.

• lspanker

It’s hilarious listening to someone who actively promotes both BLM and pro-Palestinian demonstrators lecture “others” about spreading hate and violence. How many guns has Milo waved at police officers, and how many car bombs has he set off again? You’re in no moral position to preach to others, bro…

• C Bierbauer79

Diversity does not come from the sewers Nathan Haill. But perhaps you do and you feel lonely on the surface.

• lspanker

Diversity does not come from the sewers Nathan Haill.

It doesn’t come from little left-wing autocrats who tremble at the concept of ideas that don’t meet their approval either.

• lspanker

BTW, why aren’t you back over at the Denver Post posting your usual anti-Semitic screeds, or over at the EBT rag posting about how the Queen (Elizabeth Windsor) needs to die?

• Nathan Hale

Intellectual diversity strikes fear into your heart. But, its not my problem. Its yours. You cling to simplistic ideas.

• C Bierbauer79

Just $10K ? That’s round offs for the Koch Suckers er Brothers.
    If the flakes can’t pay, they can’t play (and that’s a Donald Trump quote).

• lspanker

Come back and tell us that when your special snowflakes pay for their own education.

• dwss5

Article title:’Berkeley College Republicans required to raise up to $10,000 to host Milo Yiannopoulos’

Where have all the vocally anti-Republican crowds (decidedly expressed as anti-TRUMP!) been hiding out for the last week or so??
    Are MOST of ’em on Winter Break with their out-of-town families, doing Winter $ports in the Sierras/Tahoe, Snowbirding down to SoCal/Mexico, or what????

• Shirkhan

And where have all the republican (decidedly expressed as TRUMPISTS!) been all these decades when Cal student groups have been asked to pay for the security in their large-scale events?

• lspanker

When was the last time that happened again?

• ISmellBS

Hmm. Read the article – it tells you right there. Basically a modern day version of lmgtfy

Continues to perpetuate the belief that right wing folks are literally all uneducated and trash.

• JSpicoli

Good one lady

• lspanker

Do tell us what the fee was for the speaker of the previous event, and who is anticipated to cause such trouble.

• lspanker

As grossly unfair as Milo is being treated here, I’m willing to cough up a donation to allow him to speak, as a way of extending the middle finger to my alma mater for their autocratic and hypocritical behavior. Where can I make a contribution?

• Bob Sten

American university administrators=left wing echo chamber

• Bob Sten

Milo has the leftist indoctrinators scared.

They cannot handle diverse viewpoints, so they use this cowardly tactic to silence dissenting opinions.

ALL, read the book “the rape of alma mater”

to see what pathetic worms college administrators and the humanities professors are.

• YaReally

Yay, Milo is going to the DepolaBall! Love this guy, silly that one was to pay to protect the event from SJWs. Yareally what are they going to do? Oh, shout and scream.

• cleftintwain

This guys old “alt-right” buddies, a group of neo-nazis(literal, self proclaimed neo-nazis), have declared a “holy crusade” againt him and stated that they will be present at any and all of his public appearances. Maybe up that security estimate to 20K.

• Nathan Hale

Fake Comments are far worse than Fake News.

• Ricky Seedo

Why make up b.s?

• Spikier Than Thou

Do they actually show up or are they just trying to big up both of their images with a public feud? I note that their picture of Milo is the most flattering one I’ve ever seen anywhere, which suggests alliance… and he was the conduit for a few of their articles on Breitbart.

Regardless, $10K of security should be enough to keep the Nazis in line.

• Paul Ramirez

Fee $peech. You have the right to speak, but we’re going to silence you by charging outrageous amounts of money.

• ShadrachSmith

This is a Heckler’s Veto issue: Berkeley charging a $10k up front, non refundable, damage deposit for things SJWs might break.

• Shirkhan

First Berkeley is not charging a “damage deposit for things SJWs might break” – you made it up. Read the article.

Second, if this is too expensive for him, he can find a venue 20 feet away from campus and exercise his free speech there. Nobody is violating his free speech.

• ShadrachSmith

Happy new year.

• Freedom Guy

It’s a public university and the 1st Amendment applies. Alternative channels of communications may be inadequate. Organized protests designed to put pressure on the university to deny access to a speaker are engaged in an unconstitutional “heckler’s veto.” If this were an individual you wanted to speak on campus, e.g., Cecile Richards of Planned parenthood, conservative students would not organize to prevent her from speaking. This is only a tactic the Left employs to censor messages it opposes. That creates a favorable environment for Leftist students, disfavor able for conservative students. That is inherently unjust.

• Spikier Than Thou

Demands that a given speaker be censored are not unique to the left – radical antifeminists have threatened terrorist attacks in an attempt to silence feminist speakers, for instance.

• Charlotte Ruse

To compare a misogynist racist to Cecil Richard from Planned Parenthood is totally insane.

• iritegud

Seriously? Cecil Richard is a genocidal terrorists who profits from the sales of baby body parts, murder of innocent children and female dissoluteness. You’re insane because you think the baby you bear is expendable without spiritual consequences. Choose to close your legs, not kill your accident.

• Charlotte Ruse

You sound like a religious fanatic who also happens to be a misogynist. It’s impossible to have a rational discussion by someone who is so far removed from reality.

• Shirkhan

He can and does speak everywhere. I really don’t get why California taxpayers should pay for his events.

• Freedom Guy

Because they pay for every Leftist. This is America, where equality and justice for all – including conservatives on college campuses – should be respected.

• vandyhoops12

People perceive Berkeley as a liberal echo chamber and they have no desire to change that and embrace diversity of thought.

• ShadrachSmith

I love Milo.

• Shirkhan

Did you bother to read the article before commenting?

(1) The university is ALLOWING the lecture to take place.

(2) It is only asking the organizers to pay for security, which is standard practice.

• vandyhoops12

$10,000 is not standard practice- show an example of a liberal speaker who paid similar fees. This is Berkeleys attempt to censor since they are morally bankrupt (the UCs are also fiscally bankrupt due to years of liberals managing the system).

• Shirkhan

Please, please, please read the article and not just the title. This is embarrassing. The price has not even been determined, and the university has already declared that it will only be based on the number of people attending:

Anyway. You are welcome to show an example of a student-organized event of a similar size that was charged less. If you have proof – show it. Otherwise, please don’t make non-sense claims and embarrass yourself again.

Bye Felicia.

• JimRossi

Cal wouldn’t need $10k of security if a bunch of wing nuts weren’t so intent on preventing the man from speaking.

• Shirkhan

No. Every large event needs security. This request is not specific to this one.

Just as a point of observation: repeating the same non-sense doesn’t make it true.

• JimRossi

Then stop repeating nonsense. Pot calling kettle black.

• Shirkhan

Oh, aren’t we funny today!

Get a job.

• JimRossi

I’m Cal’s campus editor for LinkedIn and a Top Voice: https://www.linkedin.com/in/cleantechconartist
            Try using your real name when you troll people – less cowardly. Best – JIM ROSSI.

• Shirkhan

You’re an internet troll wearing a poorly tailored suit. Get a life.
            Best, SHIRKHAN

• JimRossi

You know you are a coward. Come say that to my face, coward.

• Shirkhan

Coward.

• JimRossi

Email me at [email protected] & we’ll arrange a place to meet face to face, anonymous little coward.

• Shirkhan

Oh, so now you’re inviting me for a fight? Grow up.

• JimRossi

C O W A R D. Do you need some diapers?

• dwss5

JimRossi wrote:
            “Then stop repeating nonsense. Pot calling kettle black.”

LOL and right on!
            Clearly, we have a bona fide bottom-feeding TROLL in our midst……..

• JimRossi

Try using your real name “dwss5” – it’s less cowardly. I am Cal’s campus editor for LinkedIn and a Top Voice. Find me here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/cleantechconartist
            & use your real name if you have the the guts for it.

• dwss5

Going off on a bit of a tangent to the topic at hand…….
            JimRossi wrote:
            “Try using your real name “dwss5″ – it’s less cowardly. I am Cal’s campus editor for LinkedIn and a Top Voice.”

OTOH, as Cal’s campus editor for LinkedIn and self-proclaimed “Top Voice”, perhaps you would be keenly aware that MANY (if not most?) people posting online other than yourself would rather use a username/alias OTHER THAN their Real Name.

I think this has much more to do with Privacy Reasons than simply your “having the guts for it”.

• JimRossi

You know you are a coward.

• Spikier Than Thou

Use of real names in Milo-related arguments is unwise; I know of a couple devs who got swatted shortly after getting in very public disputes with him.

• Guest

The kids in my class who couldn’t get into an Ivy, MIT, or Standford ended up at Bezerkeley. And no, they weren’t that smart or intellectually curious.

• JimRossi

It’s a great school, just a lot of loudmouths. And it’s often as hard or harder to get into than those schools.

• Tricia

Milo is a performance artist. He challenges us to think about issues in ways that are disturbing and uncomfortable. And as with truly great performance art, he reveals the true nature of some who have denied that nature in themselves and projected it on to others (i.e., fascism).

• Nathan Hale

Berkeley’s administration is afraid of the power of intellectual diversity. More ominous is their collective fear of the thugs who threaten conservatives with violent suppression of free speech.

• justiceplease

Misogyny and racism are “extremely conservative views”? He’s welcome to free speech, but neither the University nor the City should have to pay for his “alt right” platform.

• Jason

Yes, liberals now have many inconvenient truths to face, and ignoring them is tearing up your credibility with average reasonable people. If Berkeley’s student body is so uncivilized that it cannot refrain from violent behavior for 2 hours and consider the ideas (without accepting) of opposing thought, then they should shut the campus down. You have no intellectual curiosity. You have perverted the purpose of a University. When did it become acceptable in liberal circles to meet ideas with violence?

• lspanker

You have no intellectual curiosity. You have perverted the purpose of a University. When did it become acceptable in liberal circles to meet ideas with violence?

Word.

• Shirkhan

I don’t have intellectual curiosity when it comes to anti-intellectual neo-Nazis. We’ve heard everything you had to say and seen everything you had to do in the 1940s. Nothing new with you guys.

• rob420bie

Buzzword alert! You forgot sexist, trans-phobic, homophobic, Islamophobic, patriarchal, etc. Thanks to the “alt-left” and their persistent and overwhelming misuse of these words they have lost virtually all of their original meaning. These words are the progressives way of saying “I have no valid argument to refute what you have just said and I wish to end any further discourse on the matter”.

• Ricky Seedo

Are you a teacher?

• lspanker

Nah, she’s a known dumb bunny liberal troll who frequents Berkeley-relates sites.

• Bob Sten

It’s not free speech when left wingnut administrators charge a prohibitive fee because of the violence and disruptions leftist snowflakes cause.

• lspanker

Nothing like making up absolute BS when you can’t refute somebody’s views…

• ShadrachSmith

Have they taken off your ankle bracelet yet?