Open letters calling for cancellation of Milo Yiannopoulos event

Editor’s note: The following open letters are transcripts of emails sent by UC Berkeley faculty to Chancellor Nicholas Dirks and Associate Chancellor Nils Gilman. They have been edited for style and clarity.

Dear Chancellor Nicholas Dirks,

We are writing to implore you to cancel a planned speaking engagement by Milo Yiannopoulos, who has been invited by the Berkeley College Republicans on Feb. 1. We support both freedom of speech and academic freedom on campus, and realize that controversial views must be tolerated in any campus community dedicated to open debate and opposed to censorship. Although we do consider the views of Milo Yiannopoulos deplorable — he advocates white supremacy, transphobia and misogyny — it is rather his harmful conduct to which we call attention in asking for the cancellation of this event. We will enumerate some of his views below but also focus on his conduct — the repetition of which would clearly violate the codes of conduct that operate to keep the campus a harassment-free space for our whole community. We understand that if a decision to cancel were based on the political viewpoints he holds, we ourselves could become subject to censorship under other circumstances. We support robust debate, but we cannot abide by harassment, slander, defamation and hate speech.

As you may know, he has labeled Black Lives Matter a form of “black supremacism” and argues that the protest movement should be labeled a “terrorist organization.” He refers to principles of diversity at college campuses as “anti-White racism.” He has also denounced rape culture as a myth propagated by feminists “aimed squarely at undermining masculinity.” More serious, however, was his reference to women as “cunts” at a recent event at the University of West Virginia. He mocks campus cultures of inclusiveness and invites his audiences to ridicule people with disabilities. At a talk at the University of Delaware in October, he referred to transgender people as “mentally ill,” adding, “Never feel bad for mocking a transgender person. It is our job to point out their absurdity, to not make the problem worse by pretending they are normal.” In the same speech, he advocated “fat-shaming.” Apart from holding such noxious views, he actively incites his audiences to harass individuals. In July, Yiannopoulos was permanently banned from Twitter for what the organization described as “participating in or inciting targeted abuse of individuals” — he incited his followers to barrage an African-American actress with hate speech. We urge you to consider the seriousness of this claim and what it forebodes for his visit to Berkeley.

Yiannopoulos’ deplorable views pass from protected free speech to incitement, harassment and defamation once they publicly target individuals in his audience or on campus, creating conditions for concrete harm and actually harming students through defamatory and harassing actions. Such actions are protected neither by free speech nor by academic freedom. For this reason, the university should not provide a platform for such harassment.

When Yiannopoulos visited the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, on Dec. 13, he spoke in his public lecture about a transgender student at the university in derogatory ways, going so far as to project a picture of this student during his lecture, which was simultaneously broadcast on the Breitbart website. (Most of his talks are live-streamed onto the Breitbart site, as the UC Berkeley talk is likely to be if it goes ahead.) She was in the audience and he projected an older photo of her, referring to her as “he” and remarking that “the way you know he’s failed is I can still bang him.” He continued to ridicule and vilify her in front of the live campus audience and the online audience. The student was so disturbed by this experience that she withdrew from the university, feeling betrayed by the administration that had granted a platform to a speaker known to operate in this way and had failed to intervene and protect her from harassment. In a similar fashion, Yiannopoulos often makes use of a “target cam” during his lectures that zooms in on students in the audience and projects their images in front of the audience without first securing permission, as he speaks in derogatory and insulting ways against them and to them. Students are not public figures, and they do not agree to have their likeness projected in public or to be demeaned simply by virtue of attending an event. Moreover, Yiannopoulos is inciting — and, indeed, committing — harassment by singling out students as targets of derision for his followers. Such harassment risks violating our obligations under Title IX to provide an environment free of sex- and gender-based harassment — indeed, this speaker’s chronicled behavior sets a model for what we seek not to promote on campus through our own anti-harassment compliance workshops and videos. It is our responsibility to ensure that UC Berkeley students are not subjected to this same treatment Feb. 1.  

The recent announcement that the campus administration is requiring that the Berkeley College Republicans raise up to $10,000 for security costs, of course, in no way pre-empts the possibility that there will be incitement, defamation, slander and harassment at this event. We have heard Dan Mogulof’s explanation that there is little more that the campus can do, that the First Amendment prohibits the university from censoring events and that campus regulations stipulate that registered student organizations are separate legal entities from the university. We are still left with questions we ask you to answer.

As we understand it, RSOs such as the Berkeley College Republicans get a discount on the rental for Pauley Ballroom. Has the university subsidized Yiannopoulos’ talk through this discount? How do you reconcile this with our obligation to prevent sexual harassment and the named function of our Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination?  

If the event goes forward, as we hope it does not, what does the administration plan to do should the speaker harass someone in the audience? What measures in general will be taken when lecturers invited by students also feel free to pass from protected speech to harmful conduct? UC Berkeley’s obligation to protect the campus community from harm ought to take precedent over contractual obligations with registered student organizations, if and when an invited speaker has made it clear that harassment is characteristic of his presentations.

We direct your attention to several reports of his conduct as well as successful efforts on the part of other universities to cancel his events, including the problems faced by universities that did not anticipate his harassment tactics in advance. His talks scheduled at New York University, the University of Miami and Florida State University last month were all cancelled; the NYU administration cited concerns for community safety, and De Paul University has issued a statement claiming that Yiannopoulos will not be invited back to campus. Other campuses, Yale University and Columbia University, have postponed his visit — in Yale’s case, “indefinitely.”

We urge you to cancel the planned speaking event for Milo Yiannopoulos as soon as possible.

After receiving a response from Associate Chancellor Nils Gilman, the faculty group responded with a second open letter:

Dear Associate Chancellor Nils Gilman and Chancellor Nicholas Dirks,

Thank you for your rapid response. Your response, however, leaves several of our key questions unaddressed. You are committed, as we are, to freedom of speech. But the Campus Code of Conduct draws a clear line between the freedom that we as a community value and defamation or harassment. Milo Yiannopoulos’ actions at the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee campus and elsewhere crossed that line, and there is every reason to expect that he will reiterate those actions on every stop of his tour. This administration claims to be profoundly concerned with preventing harassment, and the occasion for actualizing that concern is directly before you now. An unwavering commitment to free speech and dissent does not oblige the campus to suspend its prohibition of harassment.

In our view, Yiannopoulos’ actions at UW Milwaukee and during other recent talks do not constitute “expressive activity,” as you phrase it, but rather pass into the different legal category of harassment and incitement. Given this precedent, the campus needs to clearly state how it intends to uphold our legal obligations under Title IX to promote an environment free of sex- and gender-based harassment.

Since Associate Chancellor Nils Gilman’s letter insists that the student organization that invited the speaker has sole responsibility for the sponsorship of the event, we ask you to respond to the following questions: Firstly, what does the administration plan to do should the speaker harass an individual in the audience? Secondly, given that Yiannopoulos’ past actions do meet the definition of harassment, are the organizers aware that they may be legally vulnerable for “aiding and abetting” the harassment of a fellow student? And thirdly, will the campus administration take it upon itself to defend any legal claims pertaining to such harassment, defamation or the likely Title IX violations should the talk go ahead? If not, we urge the administration to alert the student organizers about their potential vulnerability in case of a legal suit or code violation, keeping in mind that any member of the community may report witnessed harassment. The right to free speech does not override the university’s legal responsibility to protect students from harassment and to uphold the Campus Code of Conduct, which we also ask students — including student groups — to abide by. We draw your attention to the following paragraph from the state-mandated sexual harassment training course (emphasis added):

“The law prohibits harassment that is discriminatory. Harassment is illegal when individuals are treated differently based on their protected characteristics (race, sex, religion, and so on). Of course, just because behavior isn’t illegal doesn’t mean it’s appropriate. At the University of California, we hold ourselves to a higher standard and strive to promote a culture where everyone is supported to reach their fullest potential. To do that, we need to address problems before they hurt our community.”

We consider it likely that both code and Title IX violations will occur during the proposed talk at UC Berkeley (and prior talks have been broadcast before an international audience). “Hate speech” is not the only way that speech can be regarded legally as conduct. Any threat or incitement to injure or any verbal action that produces a hostile climate is also arguably unprotected. What legal and administrative course of action does the university plan to take to preempt the harassment of the campus audience at this proposed event, and what course of action will the university take in the event that a member of the campus community is subjected to harassment?

Sincerely,
Elizabeth Abel, Professor, Department of English
Wendy Brown, Class of 1936 First Chair, Department of Political Science
Judith Butler, Maxine Elliot Professor, Department of Comparative Literature
Ian Duncan, Professor, Department of English
Donna Jones, Associate Professor, Department of English
David Landreth, Associate Professor, Department of English
Saba Mahmood, Professor, Department of Anthropology
Linda Rugg, Professor, Department of Scandinavian and Associate Dean of Arts and Humanities
Elena Schneider, Assistant Professor, Department of History
Susan Schweik, Professor, Department of English
Estelle Tarica, Associate Professor, Department of Spanish and Portuguese
Katrin Wehrheim, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics
Damon Young, Assistant Professor, Departments of French and Film and Media Studies

The following UC Berkeley faculty have signed onto these letters after they were sent:
Gregory Levine, Associate Professor, Department of History of Art
Lauren Williams, Professor, Department of Mathematics
Jon Wilkening, Associate Professor, Vice Chair for Graduate Affairs, Mathematics
Janet Sorensen, Associate Professor, English
Leslie Salzinger, Associate Professor, Gender and Women’s Studies
Khalid Kadir, Lecturer, International and Area Studies
Tamara Roberts, Associate Professor, Music
Clélia Donovan, Lecturer, Spanish and Portuguese
Elisa Tamarkin, Associate Professor, English
Julia Bryan-Wilson, Associate Professor, Modern and Contemporary Art
Jeffrey Skoller, Associate Professor, Film & Media
Déborah Blocker, Associate Professor, French, with an affiliation in Italian Studies
Rachel Morello-Frosch, Professor, Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management & School of Public health
Katherine Snyder, Associate Professor, English
Mark Goble, Associate Professor, English
F. Alberto Grunbaum, Professor, Department of Mathematics
Dan O’Neill, Associate Professor, East Asian Languages and Cultures
Soraya Tlatli, Associate Professor, Department of French
Barbara A. Barnes, Lecturer, Department of Gender and Women’s Studies
Colleen Lye, Associate Professor, English
Charles Hirschkind, Associate Professor, Anthropology
Saba Mahmood, Professor, Anthropology
Ivonne del Valle, Associate Professor, Spanish and Portuguese
Daniel G. Chatman, Associate Professor, City and Regional Planning
Patricia Penn Hilden, Professor, Department of Ethnic Studies
Katherine Sherwood, Professor Emerita, Department of Art Practice
Charis Thompson, Professor, Department of Gender and Women’s Studies
Ayse Agis, Continuing Lecturer, Gender and Women’s Studies
Minoo Moallem, Gender and Women’s Studies
Lawrence Cohen, Sarah Kailath Professor of India Studies, Department of Anthropology
Emiliano Gomez, Lecturer and Academic Coordinator, Department of Mathematics
Paola Bacchetta, Associate Professor, Gender and Women’s Studies
Ian Agol, Professor, Department of Mathematics
Joanna Picciotto, Associate Professor, English
Laura C. Nelson, Associate Professor, Gender & Women’s Studies
Cori Hayden, Associate Professor, Anthropology
Hung-Hsi Wu, Emeritus Professor of Mathematics
Geoffrey G. O’Brien, Associate Professor, English
Scott Saul, Professor, English
Kevis Goodman, Associate Professor, English
Mary Ann Smart, Gladyce Arata Terrill Professor, Music
Stephen A. Rosenbaum, John & Elizabeth Boalt Lecturer, School of Law
Jake Kosek, Associate Professor, Geography
Victoria Robinson, Ethnic Studies
Celeste Langan, Associate Professor, English
Hertha D. Sweet Wong, Associate Professor and Vice-Chair, Department of English
Alastair Iles, Associate Professor of Environmental Policy and Societal Change
Anne-Lise François, Associate Professor, English and Comparative Literature
Davitt Moroney, Professor, Music; University Organist
Jean-Paul Bourdier, Professor, Architecture Department
Natalia Brizuela, Associate Professor, Spanish & Portuguese
Line Mikkelsen, Associate Professor, Linguistics
Darcy Grimaldo Grigsby, Professor, History of Art
Shannon Steen, Associate Professor, Theater, Dance, and Performance Studies
Morris W. Hirsch, Professor Emeritus, Mathematics
Jenny Harrison Professor, Mathematics
James Vernon, Professor, History
Debarati Sanyal, Professor, French
Christine Rosen, Associate Professor, Haas School of Business
Waldo E. Martin, Jr., Morrison Professor of American History and Citizenship
Robin Einhorn, Preston Hotchkis Professor in the History of the United States
Kristin Hanson, Associate Professor, English
Patricia Baquedano-Lopez, Associate Professor of Education
Joseph Wolf, Professor Emeritus, Mathematics
You-tien Hsing, Professor, Geography
Glynda Hull, Professor, Education
Richard B. Norgaard, Professor Emeritus of Energy and Resources
Ellen L. Simms, Professor of Integrative Biology
Katherine Snyder, Associate Professor, Department of English
Kathleen Donegan, Associate Professor, Department of English and Associate Dean of Arts and Humanities
Trinh T. Minh-ha, Professor of Rhetoric and of Gender & Women’s Studies
Suzanne Guerlac, Professor, Department of French
Mel Y. Chen, Associate Professor, Department of Gender and Women’s Studies
Margaret W. Conkey, Department of Anthropology
Mariane C Ferme, Professor, Department of Anthropology
Lyn Hejinian, John F Hotchkis Professor of English
Michael Watts, Professor Emeritus, Geography
Antonio Montalban, Associate Professor, Mathematics
Samera Esmeir, Associate Professor, Rhetoric
Louise Fortmann, Professor Emerita, Dept of Environmental Science, Policy and Management
Ramona Naddaff, Associate Professor, Rhetoric
Daniel Boyarin, Taubman Professor of Talmudic Culture, Near Eastern Studies and rhetoric
Joseph Lavery, Assistant Professor, Dept. of English
Lynn Huntsinger, Professor, Dept Environmental Science, Policy, and Management
Daniel Boyarin, Taubman Professor of Talmudic Culture, Near Eastern Studies and Rhetoric

• Skookum John

I’m looking forward to Milo’s triumphant return to Berkeley, with a hundred FBI agents, a SWAT team, and a parade of paddy wagons to haul away the Black Bloc thugs. Conspiracy to violate civil rights — rights like engaging in free speech on the campus of a taxpayer-funded university — is a serious felony that can get the offender ten years in Federal prison. I am sure Trump and Sessions are salivating at the prospect, and I applaud them. It’s time to use the entire force of the Federal government to suppress the anti-free-speech left wing fascists on our college campuses. They are enemies of humanity. Teach your kids to hate them.

• US Patriot

Since when did homesexuals become the voice of alt-right? This is why LGBT should be castrated and/or converted.

• MSC545

If people are fearful of being the subject of Milo’s camera, or cannot stand to hear his views, they are certainly free not to attend his talk. Nothing compels them to do so. If they do attend, knowing ahead of time what Milo is likely to say and do, they assume the risk of being offended, or perhaps even the risk of engaging in critical thinking.

Disregard of the First Amendment is a far worse offense than anything Milo has ever said or done.

• Catherine Montalbo

You leftist hypocrites never cease to amaze. “Free speech for me, but not for thee!” I am thrilled the University will not give in to your petulant demands. Respond to speech you don’t like with MORE speech. Attempting to silence anyone whose speech you find offensive always backfires.

• TheOne BillyGunn

I am damn proud to say that not one of my professor’s signed on to support censorship. Free Speech Movement forever. Does anyone remember what Voltaire said?

• jim hoch

So all of these faculty put together cannot write a letter that can be published without editing?

• JimRossi

As a Cal grad student and campus editor for LinkedIn, I wrote the chancellor and Yiannopoulos SUPPORTING his visit to UC Berkeley. That’s NOT because I agree with everything he says or does, but because I support free speech as the best path to knowledge and freedom. Harassment can be anything anyone doesn’t want to hear, and that’s a one-way ticket to an Orwellian digital dictatorship.

• Neighbor

Singling out particular students (without warning) for ridicule and other stunts he has pulled go beyond free speech. He has no real beliefs, he’s a troll. Believe me, if Ann Coulter was speaking I would not object although I find her views repellent- it is NOT about his opinions.

• Rational_Db8

No, in fact it doesn’t go beyond free speech. Not by a VERY long shot. If it did, the vast majority of comedians would be immediately out of business. Whether he does or doesn’t have “real beliefs” (are you a magical mind reader that you would somehow know this anyhow?), or if he is or isn’t a “troll” according to your view is utterly moot. He has a right to free speech, and the campus Republicans have a right to be able to freely assemble and hear the free speech of anyone they choose to invite – no matter how obnoxious YOU may feel that person is or how much YOU might disagree with them. So very clearly your opposition to him IS about his opinions and your dislike of them, plain and simple.

The free speech protection was designed ESPECIALLY for speech that others might find to be offensive. Otherwise, what’s the point?

• Neighbor

harassment is not the same as speech.

• Rational_Db8

Yes, in fact harassment IS the same as speech the vast majority of the time. So long as it’s not physical, not stalking, not libel or slander, and not the equivalent of yelling “fire” in a crowded theater, it’s legal – and that very very clearly includes what many would call “harassment.”

• roccolore

Democrats are fascists who hate free speech.

• garyfouse

Amazing how people can get PhDs and be professors without knowing the first thing about the First Amendment.

• Rational_Db8

You wrote:

“Amazing how people can get PhDs and be professors without knowing the first thing about the First Amendment.”

I couldn’t agree more. It’s also utterly amazing to me that the editor felt the need to edit professor’s letters for style and clarity!!

From the editors just before the article:

“Editor’s note: The following open letters are transcripts of emails sent by UC Berkeley faculty to Chancellor Nicholas Dirks and Associate Chancellor Nils Gilman. They have been edited for style and clarity.” [emphasis added]

So exactly what did the editor cover up? Professors are incapable of actually writing clear letters? Their “style” needs to be edited?? It’s absurd. Their letters should have been published exactly as written, and let the chips fall where they may. Not cleaned up to suit the editor’s preferences or biases – or worse, to try to manipulate how readers might feel about the letters.

• garyfouse

Yes it is amazing. I will follow up on this. Since when do student writers edit the writings of professors?

• Rational_Db8

I didn’t even catch that it was students as the editors! Likely because I’m not familiar with the publication, and didn’t think to check that aspect.

But that would make it even more amazing and egregious. I very much hope that what they did was pretty minor and innocuous – but unfortunately wouldn’t be at all surprised if it went well beyond that, particularly if it’s student editors rather than professional media/journalism editors (although gawd knows the professionals can be incredibly egregious that way themselves!).

I hope someone does look into it – and takes the editors to task for it regardless. It’s grossly inappropriate whether they’re students or professionals.

• Suddenlysusan23

Just ignore it and move on. You’re giving these people what they want.

• Kurt VanderKoi

UC Berkeley staff should not have a problem with Milo Yiannopoulos speaking. After all domestic
    terrorist Black Lives Matter co-founder Alicia Garza spoke at the UC Berkeley School of Law lecture hall.
    http://www.dailycal.org/2016/11/08/black-lives-matter-co-founder-alicia-garza-speaks-to-uc-berkeley-students/

• Typhoon

Look at the long list of professors who propound the virtues of tolerance in their lectures, yet wish to practice intolerance in reality. Hypocrites one and all.

• Richard Saunders

Please, please, please President Trump, you must find a commission that investigates the Marxist brainwashing and indoctrination taking place in American universities.

These Marxist monsters need to be exposed. Their thuggery and intimidation must be investigated and revealed to the public at large.

• So much for the tolerant left….

• Count Ease

The full email exchanges and list of signatures can be found here:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/13mTOQ7wVst6voLMg6Pvr-3uJ2Fbn7zcXg_Bkx8mGDOk/edit?usp=sharing

• Jorge Carolinos

Thanks for the link, the complainers are really awful.

• laura

These illiberal faculty members are repeating a script which ironically includes slandering a gay man.
    I despise censorship as much as I despise Trump. Let Milo speak.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16eu_m3fRKZ6WGzvsMHH3xXXHa9u3K8KNF2UPrnMdiHI/mobilebasi

3) Faculty Script
    Subject: Please speak out against campus visit by hateful agitator Milo Yiannopoulos
    Attn: Professor X
    I am writing to ask you to take action to keep Berkeley students safe by speaking out against an upcoming visit to our campus by a racist, xenophobic, transphobic, misogynist agitator and serial harasser. Milo Yiannopoulos has been invited to speak by the Berkeley College Republicans (BCR) on February 1, 2017 as part of a nationwide speaking tour across college campuses.
    As a prominent representative of white nationalism and ‘men’s rights,’ Milo Yiannopoulos is a champion of hate speech against people of color and women. He equates Black Lives Matter with “black supremacism”[1] and argues that the protest movement should be labeled a “terrorist organization”[2]. He interprets the desire for diversity at college campuses as “anti-White racism”[3] and has gone so far as to set up a Privilege Grant exclusively for white men to help this demographic pursue postsecondary degrees in the face of alleged institutional discrimination[4]. He has received particular notoriety for his support of Britain leaving the European Union[5] as a way to end immigration of people from “ordinary Muslim communities” which he alleges “import…regressive social attitudes into the West”[6] He calls for a 5-10% cap on the number of women in STEM programs because “they can’t cut it in highly competitive environments” and any higher proportions are “a criminal waste of public funds.”[7] He encourages men to flush their partners’ birth control down the toilet, stating “birth control makes you fat” and “women on the pill are more likely to cheat.”[8] Finally, he denounces rape culture as a myth propagated by feminists “aimed squarely at undermining masculinity.”[9]
    The University already knew all of this when they approved the BCR invitation to Yiannopoulos, but the situation has since become even more dire for our students. I refer you to this Milwaukee, Wisconsin Journal Sentinel article relating the details of an incident that occurred during Yiannopoulos’s visit on December 13, 2016, as part of the same speaking tour that will bring him to Berkeley. Yiannopoulos singled out a transgender student during the event, naming her and projecting her picture to both the audience at UWM as well as the audience watching the event live streaming at Breitbart.com. He misgendered the student while also using sexually demeaning language to belittle her gender identity (“The way you know he’s [sic] failed is I can still bang him [sic]”). Yiannopoulos is inciting (and indeed, committing) harassment by singling out this student as the target of derision for his followers. I fear (and even expect) Berkeley students will receive the same treatment if he is allowed to come here on February 1.
    Students have been contacting the University administration to implore them to cancel this event, but they have responded that they are bound by the First Amendment, and that this speaking engagement does not reflect an endorsement of Yiannopoulos’s views. However, the Berkeley College Republicans, as a Registered Student Organization, receive financial benefits such as reduced fees for event spaces from the University. The administration is indeed endorsing this event in the form of fiscal support, and I imagine that you as faculty are as disgusted by this as I am as a student. We know Berkeley to be better than this.
    Our university is lucky to have an active and vibrant transgender community who fight for their own and others’ rights to equal education access. The same is true of our undocumented students, another favored target for this hateful agitator. Nothing would be simpler–or, indeed, more predictable–than for Yiannopoulos to find and target vulnerable Berkeley students in the same way that he went after the Milwaukee student referenced above.
    I urge you, as a faculty member with a voice of influence and a secure position, to speak out against this atrocious invitation and protect the safety of marginalized students on campus. Please do not stand idly by and let our campus become a megaphone for hate, harassment, and incitements to violence.
    You can take action by spreading the word among colleagues and fellow faculty members, and contacting the following individuals:
    UC Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks’ office
    Phone: 510-642-7464
    Email: [email protected]
    Dan Mogulof, Assistant Vice Chancellor, Public Affairs
    Phone: 510-642-3715
    Mobile: 510-919-6954
    Email: [email protected]
    Michael Emerson Dirda, Communications Manager, Public Affairs
    Email: [email protected]
    Thank you for your time and your integrity,
    Name
    Please send this email to the following faculty:
    Link to Faculty Emails (please add more faculty contacts as you see fit, especially from your own departments if you are a graduate student–once you contact a faculty member, please make a note on the spreadsheet of when you contacted them and whether and how they responded, so that we do not have multiple emails being sent to the same faculty)

• Grandpa Dino

Open presentation of different opinions or points of view . . . not allowed by ‘progressive’ institutions like my alma mater. Welcome to1984 . . . again.

• George Fletcher

I voted Trump and ive always thought Milo is a genius at manipulating the left into revealing their hypocricy, but I do think Milo went **way** over the line with the crossdresser or whatever at Michigan. Putting a students face up and making fun of them. I actually watched the video to see if they were exaggerating and thought it was pretty f*cked up. I don’t approve of his/her/whatever’s lifestyle. I agree with Milo that telling people the truth to their face is “tough love” and makes their life better, but putting the student up on a big screen and asking ‘do you know about this guy, chris johnson? ewww, let’s all laugh at this freak.’ in front of hundreds of thousands of people is just cruel.

Milo claims that confronting fat people and trans people and whatever is good because it helps them be better and i do agree. kids these days cannot handle criticism and we can’t all just shrug our shoulders and give up on confronting our flaws, but there is a difference between confronting someone in person vs. singling them out and cutting them down in front of an audience of literally hundreds of thousands so that everyone can have a laugh. if we treat Milo like a saint who can do no wrong then now we are the hypocrites. we have a big opportunity in this country to lead with Trump from the moral high ground and can’t let the left take that back from us with this bullsh*t.

I know Milo will never apologize but in this case it would be the right thing to do, then move on, and stick with what he’s saying that makes sense (about race and victimhood and free speech in this country) instead of picking on helpless mentally ill kids and getting rich in the process. America needs love and unity to move forwards.

• JimRossi

That’s a really thoughtful and nuanced perspective, George. Thanks for sharing it.

• Arafat

Indeed, but meanwhile Berkeley gives free reign to SJP building “apartheid” walls, claiming Israel is committing ethnic cleansing and physically challenging pro-Israeli speakers.

One never hears of many UC Berkeley professors giving a sh*t about SJP’s antics. It’s clear Berkeley defines harassment as something the right does and only the right.

• Patriarchy Pete

Progressives are losing — deal with it.