Cal women’s swim and dive defeats Arizona, Sun Devils

wswim_asleshakumar_file
Aslesha Kumar/File

At a time when Arizona — known for its dry air and high temperatures —  is barely cracking 60 degrees, the Cal women’s swim and diving teams brought the heat. The Bears scorched the Wildcats and proved hotter than the Sun Devils this weekend during their trip to the Grand Canyon State, beating both Pac-12 opponents by large margins.

Desert action kicked off Friday for the Bears with a 118-119 meet win over Arizona. Cal was dominant in its first event, finishing the 200-yard relay with a final time of 1:38.17. As the final leg of the relay for the Bears, Farida Osman blasted through the competition with a time of 22.15. And with a time of 3:20.86, the Bears placed first place in the 400-yard freestyle relay to take both relay events.

Freshman Olympian Abbey Weitzeil shined in the 50- and 100-yard freestyle, sweeping both events with scores of 22.52 and 49.90, respectively. Coming in second in the 50-yard was Arizona sophomore Katrina Konopka with a time of 22.91, who was also the first Wildcat to finish the 100-yard at 50.69.

A pair of Cal seniors had a great showing in the pool, with Marina Garcia placing first in the 200-yard breaststroke at 2:16.33 and Celina Li defeating Arizona runner-up Hannah Cox in the 200-yard individual medley by .38 seconds with a final time of 2:01.88.

The Bears came right back with a 181-111 victory against the Sun Devils the following day, winning 14 of 16 events.

After placing in a distant second the previous day against Arizona in the one-meter springboard, sophomore Phoebe LaMay bounced back with a score of 317.63. She not only blew away the competition, but she also broke her own school record for the event in the process.

Among other dominant performances were sophomores Amy Bilquist, who came in first in both the 100- and 200-yard freestyles, and Kathleen Baker, taking the 100- and 200-yard backstroke. Weitzeil followed her impressive Friday performance with another exceptional show Saturday, taking the 50-yard free with a time of 22.58.

With the Pac-12 Championships around the corner, the Bears will hope to end the 2017 season on a hot note by closing out the regular season with three meets at home.

Chris Tril is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]