Dining on a dime

brunch food
Juliet Hemmati/File

During winter break, many of us stuffed our faces with delicacies priced far beyond the allowances of our bank accounts. Now that we’re back, though, the only thing to your name is the $20 you found in a pair of pants while doing laundry (score!). Yet, friends are asking left and right to grab a coffee or a bite to eat and catch up. That’s why we at the Clog are supplying you with a list of places to go to when both pockets and stomachs are empty.

Alfonso’s Cafe

If you’re looking for a hearty breakfast without breaking the bank, Alfonso’s Cafe is the place for you. Located between Chaucer Street and Bancroft Way, this small café packs a big punch. Many items are under $10, and you can choose any meal ranging from omelettes to crepes. Plus, there’s plenty of outdoor seating for when the weather is as bright as your sunny-side-up egg.

Farm: Table

While this simplistic and modern title may leave you with the suspicion that the only thing you’ll be able to afford is water, don’t be fooled. San Francisco’s Farm: Table, which lies in Nob Hill near the Powell BART station, is a haven for hipsters and health nuts alike. Its menu varies depending on what’s in season, which means it always serves the freshest produce. And even better, most of the menu stays between $7 and $8. This is a fantastic place to check out if you’re in the city and looking for quality food without breaking the bank.

Imm Thai Street Food

Found in the heart of Downtown Berkeley, Imm Thai Street Food offers delectable Thai food to satisfy everyone at the table. With appetizers such as fresh spring rolls or its crispy pumpkin appetizer, it’s a great place to stop in at if you’re looking to socialize with friends over snacks and tea. Its entrées receive even more praise, including curries with a kick and flavor-packed soups. You can snag one to go or enjoy the atmosphere of this Thai treasure, with most entrees being under $11.

Flacos

Leaf-eaters and meat-eaters alike flock to Flacos looking for authentic Mexican cuisine. Located on Adeline Street, this revolutionary restaurant serves all-vegetarian food. While some may be scoffing already, wondering where the carne asadas are, skeptics are forced to eat their words once they try a bowl of pozole or a tray of taquitos. Plus, this restaurant holds the title for having some of the best vegan tamales in the area.

Cinnaholic

If your sweet tooth is driving your decisions regarding where to dine, there is only one place to stop: Cinnaholic. Featured on the TV series Shark Tank, this dessert spot has delectable, gooey cinnamon rolls for all. Not only can you customize what goes on your $5 baked good, but also everything is “dairy & lactose-free, egg-free and cholesterol-free.” So go indulge yourself in these sinful cinnamon buns without the guilt of selling your soul to pay for it.

Now that you have the go-to spots for cheap eats, go out with friends and explore these places that will leave both your stomach and wallet happy.

Kirsty Fowler is the assistant blog editor. Contact Kirsty Fowler at [email protected].