Nostalgic sugar cookies

cookies
Avanti Mehrotra/Staff

It was Christmas Eve, and my sister and I hadn’t done any baking whatsoever, causing us to go into a frenzy: How can a holiday season possibly go by without baking? Since we were simultaneously eager to bake something and hesitant, given our previous homemade sugar cookie fiascos, we searched the web for a recipe that could be made in 30 minutes or less. Though we ended up combining a few recipes and adding modifications, we were absolutely blown away by how delicious these cookies turned out. They give Whole Food’s Gianna’s cookies quite the competition, and the best part is that this recipe doesn’t require freezing the dough.

So if you’re feeling nostalgic for the holidays after this first week of school, give these cookies a try.

What you’ll need:

Makes 16 cookies

Avanti Mehrotra/Staff

For the dough:

1/3 cup unsalted butter

1/2 cup granulated white or brown sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 egg

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour

Food coloring (optional)

For the icing:

½ cup powdered sugar

3 tablespoons milk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

What you’ll do:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. In a bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar until the texture is similar to that of cream cheese.
  3. Add the vanilla extract and egg, and mix until everything is combined.
  4. Mix together all of the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.

Avanti Mehrotra/Staff

5. Slowly add the dry mix to the wet mix, and combine until a dough is created.

Avanti Mehrotra/Staff

6. Sprinkle some flour on a cutting board, and knead and roll out the dough on the floured surface.

Avanti Mehrotra/Staff

7. Once the rolled-out dough is about 1/2 thick, cut out the cookies into whatever shapes you’d like.

Avanti Mehrotra/Staff

8. If you’d like your cookies to be different colors, you can add food coloring to the dough.

Avanti Mehrotra/Staff

9. Place your cookies on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for about eight minutes.

Avanti Mehrotra/Staff

10. Even if the cookies are a little soft, if the bottoms of each cookie are brown, take them out of the oven and let them cool on a cooling rack. Because of the heat, they will cook a little more while cooling.

Avanti Mehrotra/Staff

11. While the cookies cool, mix the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract in a bowl for the icing. Add food coloring to the icing if you want to.
  12. Once the cookies have fully cooled, decorate your cookies with icing and sprinkles. The icing will harden after an hour or so.

This recipe is so simple and so delicious that your friends and family will beg you for the recipe. Enjoy!

Contact Avanti Mehrotra at [email protected].