Cause of death for Berkeley couple still unknown after completion of autopsy

Update 1/26/2017: This article has been updated to reflect new information obtained from East Bay Times.

The autopsies for the couple who died in their South Berkeley apartment Monday have been completed, but the cause of death is still undetermined, according to Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Officer Byron White.

The couple, who were identified as Roger and Valerie Morash on Tuesday, were found dead in their apartment at 3028 Deakin St. on Monday afternoon, along with their two dead cats. Although BPD, Berkeley Fire Department and PG&E have investigated the area, all their tests came up negative.

Although both autopsies have been completed, the coroner’s report has not, White said in an email.

“At this time, a cause of death has still not been determined,” White said in his email. “Because of this, this incident remains classified as a suspicious death.”

According to East Bay Times, a toxicology report has been ordered on the couple.

White said in his email the coroner’s office also removed the remains of the dead cats, but he did not know if the coroner’s office will be conducting a necropsy for the two cats.

According to White, BPD received a noise complaint Sept. 22, 2015, regarding the apartment complex. The complaint was in response to the sound of a generator running and the smell of burning rubber.

“In that call for service, a police officer later contacted the complainant about the issue but the generator was no longer running,” White said in his email. “The City of Berkeley has not received any same/similar complaints about this apartment unit.”

Check back for updates.

Chantelle Lee is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.