The counterargument to Milo Yiannopoulos at UC Berkeley

On Thursday, Chancellor Nicholas Dirks released a statement to the UC Berkeley community discussing the “tension between rights and values,” articulating that while the administration may not condone Milo Yiannopoulos’s words and actions, they will not be shutting down the event.

Chancellor Dirks chose to use the language of “tolerance,” suggesting that Milo Yiannopoulos’s presence at UC Berkeley is an act of tolerance — that allowing Yiannopoulos to carry on his “Dangerous Faggot Tour,” which has incited violence, hateful rhetoric, white supremacy, transphobia and misogyny, is a defense of Berkeley’s history of tolerance and a fight for the freedom of speech. Mr. Chancellor, we strongly disagree.

We, as a community, cannot label this as “tolerance” or “academic freedom.” To do so is to say that we tolerate the message Mr. Yiannopoulos, and others of his “ilk” as you so rightly called them, are espousing. Tolerance, as advocacy and freedom, is not meant to be boundless. As with all freedoms, there are both responsibilities and limits. Here, too, we must clearly define those responsibilities and draw those limits: Tolerance ends where harm begins.

To the Chancellor, to those of Berkeley College Republicans who continue to defend this event (which we are sure not all members do) and to others in this community that support the event still being held:

Perhaps from your position of privilege, you have been unable to hear the voices of members of the LGBTQ+ community and their allies, imploring you to intervene on their behalf. Perhaps, from your position of privilege, you cannot see, first-hand, the impact that hate speech and an environment of intimidation can have on those who are vulnerable — those occupying more precarious social positions — than you. Perhaps, from your position of privilege, you can see these things, but choose to look away.

However, we do not have this privilege, and neither do the various groups which Yiannopoulos’s words, actions and those motivated by him attack. The fact that you have failed to affirmatively intervene on behalf of myself and students like me, that you have allowed this affront to our core values as a community to escalate unchecked right up to the very point that it threatens to impact you, stain your image, threaten your well-being and endanger your ability to work productively in this community, all while turning a blind eye to the harm that has been and continues to be done to this campus, is frankly morally repugnant.

In your letter, you state that “the anticipated cost of … additional preparations and measures will be borne entirely by the campus” and are expected to “far exceed the basic security costs that are the responsibility of the hosting organization,” going on to assert that you will “not stand idly by while laws or university policies are violated,” implying that you will hold student protesters, rather than the BCR, accountable for the consequences of an event that is being hosted beyond their control.  In so doing, you imply that the targets of hate speech will be the ones who must shoulder the burden and consequences of student resistance to hate speech that has a direct and destructive impact on the health and well-being of vulnerable members of this community. This is victim-blaming, plain and simple. It is an intolerable and unconscionable re-victimization of an already vulnerable community.

This is not a conversation about academic freedom. Indeed, it is not even a conversation about free speech. It is a conversation about safety and equitable access. As faculty across this campus have brought to your attention, the actions that Yiannopoulos incites at his events are not only harmful and dangerous, they also constitute harassment which violates Title IX protections to the provision of an environment that is free of sex- and gender-based harassment. This is a conversation about our values. The email sent to the university yesterday suggests that we share similar values, but having these shared values is not enough. Your thinly veiled reference to the political climate we are now entering suggests you understand this. This very climate demands we not only have these values, but that we act visibly, and stand up vehemently for these values. And quite frankly, given this campus’s rich history of LGBTQ+ individuals and mobilization, we will not stand for anything less.

Luis Tenorio and Miranda Smith are members of the Graduate Assembly. Contact the opinion desk at [email protected] or follow us on Twitter

• FuzzmanX

All five republicans assembled. All thousand non-repubs did too. But you aren’t a total failure at everything you have ever attempted.

• Carlee Veldezzi

Campus Progressives are doing us all a service by demonstrating why we can make zero exceptions when defending free speech. They are, through action, showing us that once you decide that “all speech is tolerated other than X”, that will be exploited and abused consistently.

As this very cookie-cutter, typical progressive “think”-piece so aptly demonstrates, all one needs to do now to shut down and silence someone who you disagree with is to label that persons beliefs “hate speech”. This vague term makes it impossible for people who actually believe in liberal values (in the classic sense) to even defend against the accusation, because to do so, makes you an advocate for “hate speech”.

We already saw the result of this insane notion at UC Berkley. Something the writer here, no doubt, thinks was a great victory. Yet, it is going even farther than that. Lately, these same individuals have been openly defending those who are committing violence against others. The defense being touted? They were “Nazis” or “Neo-Nazis”.

Do you see where this is heading? Label speech you don’t like or agree with as hate speech. Now you can shut it down. Label people you don’t like and people who say things you don’t agree with as “Nazis”. Since these are no longer human beings, but simply detested “Nazis”, your every action against them is justified, noble, even!

Does any of this sound familiar to points in history that you can recall?

• Tshaj Lij Lis

>that you have allowed this affront to our core values as a community

This is the purpose of free speech. People will always be offended. Whether it is a preacher down the street calling you to repent, a pro-choice advocate, or Milo- we all have the right to state our opinions. Even if they aren’t popular. What these authors are advocating is simply- this speech makes me sad or offended- therefor we shouldn’t allow it. That is not only illegal, but to use these authors’ words, “is frankly morally repugnant.” All through life, people ARE going to disagree and with you and offend you. Welcome to a free nation.

• Jenny Everywhere

I think people are unclear on the concept of what “incitement” means.

Incitement is when you TELL others to do something, or suggest a chain of logic intended to lead them to determine that something is necessary. Simply saying things you don’t like and make you angry is not incitement. Milo didn’t “incite” one man to shoot another at one of his appearances. He didn’t say “hey, you! Go out and shoot someone to prove you love me,” or some such nonsense. He didn’t say “people who don’t like me have to die”. He never actually told anyone to do anything of the sort. In fact, he’s told people NOT to commit acts of violence.

This “disagreement is incitement” nonsense is a total non-sequitur. It’s right up there with “disagreement is hate”. They’re both invalid. Just because I disagree with someone doesn’t mean I hate them. I also might hate what someone SAYS as being inane, insane, or flagrantly vile, but that doesn’t mean I hate the person who said it. While we’re at it, let’s include this concept that “upsetting words equal violence”. Violence is physical injury or potential physical injury. Unless someone’s words are causing your ears to physically bleed, perhaps from volume, or containing high-powered ultrasonics, the words themselves or their meanings aren’t going to do you actual physical harm. You do not have the right to respond to something someone says as if they physically assaulted you. Words do not equate to violence. I was raised in the “sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never harm me” day and age, when what someone SAID was automatically assumed to be just a bunch of hot air, harmless.

Hurt feelings are not equal to physical injury. Heck, hurt feelings are not equal to MENTAL injury! I used to get emotionally distraught and frustrated when they would pre-empt my favorite TV show to air sports, back when I was a kid. I LOVED Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In, and would be peeved beyond reason when it’d be preempted for baseball. They used to handle such things so irrationally back then, as if the Monday night baseball game was just SO unexpected, a complete surprise…even though it had been scheduled for months. They’d be advertising Laugh-In in the commercial break immediately prior to it being preempted, too, as though it was a breaking story from a reporter on the street, responding to some sudden tragedy. But guess what? Even though my feelings were horribly hurt, *I LIVED THROUGH IT.* I wasn’t scarred for life. I didn’t develop PTSD over it, and seeing a baseball cap didn’t “trigger” me. It made me mad and frustrated me, but I was not bleeding from anything, there were no broken bones poking out through my skin, and I was neither vomiting nor suffering from explosive diarrhea.

Words can’t cause you injury. Disagreement does not equal hatred. Emotional upset is not physical damage. These are all mistakes; I looked them up.

And Milo has never incited violence. People have used Milo’s words as excuses FOR violence, but if he didn’t say “go hurt people and break things,” he did not incite hurting of people or breaking of things.

Oh, and one final clue. If person A says they really like person B, that does not imply that person B likes anything about person A. A reprehensible human being or group might claim to “endorse” Milo, but that does not mean that Milo in any way approves of anything that group stands for. It’s like Trump and the KKK — just because the KKK says they endorse Trump does not mean that Trump likes or endorses them back. He’s not a white supremacist just because some white supremacist voted for him. If Charles Manson listens to 50 Cent albums, does that mean 50 Cent approves of psychotic murderers? OF COURSE NOT.

• carlos

Luis and Miranda, nice to see you or your friends out there two nights ago bashing women with flag poles or macing them in the face. Congratulations on permanently giving Milo the moral high ground. Please remember that the US supports free speech, not the fascist thuggery your group engaged in. Cheers.

• Man with Axe

You conflate speech with which you disagree with harassment. That is a category error.

Harassment requires the speaker to speak to you directly. Merely expressing ideas which you find hateful is nowhere in the same moral or legal realm as harassment.

You have no obligation to go to hear a speaker that you already know you are not going to like. And if you don’t go, how can his speech constitute harassment of you?

Are you so super-sensitive that you will be upset beyond all help by someone you don’t even hear speaking? And if that’s true, what difference does it make to you whether he is spewing his hateful message a few hundred yards from you or a few thousand miles from you? You can’t hear him in either case.

• Ohio9

The gist of this article is “say what we want to hear or else shut up.” Milo hasn’t broken any laws or advocated violence against anyone. The notion that anything he has done up to now is harmful simply makes no sense. Yeah he’s a troll, but he’s a totally harmless and lawful one. Let him speak his mind and move on.

What’s funny is these extremist protesters are actually vindicating him. He depicts his opponents as pampered brats who can’t handle something as simple as harsh words. Articles like this show that at least in some cases he is correct.

• JimRossi

Tenorio and Smith have absolutely no idea what they are talking about – but I support their right to say it. It’s called free speech. I suggest people actually listen to Milo Yiannopoulos and make up their own minds. Here is a short clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG6FkKOTLS0

• Christopher Fulton

Out of interest in hearing differing opinions I purchased 2 tickets to this event. My wife is a high school English teacher who teaches a course on Social Justice. She has more in common with the protestors who will be at this event than with the speaker, but we are both interested in what he has to say and hearing his response to the questions that will be asked.
    It makes me sad to say that I genuinely fear for my wife’s safety if we go to hear this gay man speak at the University of Berkeley.

• disqus_lCik0TlIfq

You can read what he has to say on Breitbart where all his speeches and writings are presented. He supports those who want to engage in ethnic cleansing. He erases people and harms they experienced from history just like his former boss, Steve Bannon (who erased the Jews from the Holocaust on Friday). Please do read what he’s said, just in case the event is canceled. You will realize that it’s best that he not be given an official forum at Berkeley.

• JimRossi

This nonsense from someone using an anonymous alias.

• disqus_lCik0TlIfq

Milo’s own words:

“The really interesting members of the alt-right though, and the most numerous, are the natural conservatives. They are perhaps psychologically inclined to be unsettled by threats to western culture from mass immigration and maybe by non-straight relationships. Yet, unlike the 1488ers (outright Nazis), the presence of such doesn’t send them into fits of rage. They want to build their homogeneous communities, sure — but they don’t want to commit any pogroms along the way. Indeed, they would prefer non-violent solutions.”

• JimRossi

I will be there with a large, ethnically diverse group of fellow students. You are welcome to join up with us (ping me on LinkedIn, where I am an editor and Top Voice: https://www.linkedin.com/in/cleantechconartist/) Here is a clip of Milo’s “hate speech.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG6FkKOTLS0

• Christopher Fulton

Thank you Jim. We may join you. I will assess the situation and if it seems safe, my wife and I will attend and introduce ourselves.

• Out of interest in hearing differing opinions I purchased 2 tickets to this event.

Kudos to you both. The Left badly, desperately needs more people like you two rarities, both the enquiring nature of your open minds and, where you think it warranted, to speak out against injustice whether it be found on the Left or the Right.

If you went, I hope you weren’t hurt by the riot.

• JP

First it was affirmative action, now it is “affirmative intervention” to evade equal treatment under the law.

• @nsmartinworld

The Young Totalitarians.

• Ryan

Where does defense of the gay community come into play when the man you’re ‘defending’ against is himself gay? Are you implying he wants to incite violence against gays? Is he inciting violence against anyone? Or is he just saying things you don’t want to hear?

The funny thing is that open calls to violence only seem to be coming from the left. Madonna talks about bombing the white house and people cheer. People gather to riot against trump, and on wednesday the left will gather to protest against free speech.

• lspanker

The autocratic and totalitarian tendencies of the Left have been pretty much laid bare to the general public over the last several months, but they have yet to figure that out themselves. Cognizance of how one is viewed by others is a challenge when one lives his/her life in an ideological bubble.

• Ryan

It’s weird. I lean left on a lot of things. I’m highly liberal in my views. But I also believe a government’s priority should be to its people. Nationalism is the opposite of a bad word imo, and should be a prerequisite for a politician. People call Trump a nationalist as an insult. I don’t get it.

Popular leftism is essentially against America and they can’t help but show that in everything they do.

• Ra

He already HAS incited violence against the gay community. Remember the anti-trump protester who was SHOT by the gun toting pro-trump attendee in Seattle a few days ago? A professor who organized resistance to Milo has received death threats, he’s been doxxed and he’s been targeted SPECIFICALLY for homophobic slurs. Just because the right wing has one pet gay, doesn’t mean they are somehow now immune from their general homophobia.

• FreedomFirst

But no mention of course of the violence that the fascist faux-liberal community has COMMITTED against him and his fans. One pet gay is more than enough to blow the left’s whole bankrupt thought system to bits. Thanks to that reality you can be sure that Milo has received the most death threats but he doesn’t seem to be whining endlessly about them.

• Ohio9

Nice attempt to lie by omission. The guy who shot person at the rally may have acted in self defense. That’s why he has not been charged with a crime yet. Funny how you left that part out.

But whether or not it was self defense, attempting to blame the shooting on Milo is absurd. He’s not responsible for what other adults do, and he didn’t tell anyone to shoot anyone else.

• roccolore

Democrats made excuses for Omar Mateen. Democrats claim to be champions of gays, then defend the Muslims who kill gays.

• Echo

Lol actually it was a trump supporter who got shot by an “antifa” pig. Milo was speaking in Washington when it happened and he was informed that one of his speech goers who couldn’t make it in had been shot through the stomach. Once again you’re being fed lies.

• Tshaj Lij Lis

>Just because the right wing has one pet gay,

So a gay man is conservative so he is a “pet”? Will you call a black conservative an “uncle tom”? You’re a bigot with your head deep in the sand. The left is the only one that has been calling for violence for a long time.

• Megan Arkenberg

“If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them.” Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies (1945).

• FreedomFirst

So why did we extend unlimited tolerance to the left wing bigots who took over academe ages ago? Fortunately, tolerance is being modeled fairly well by MILO. He’s infinitely more tolerant of his intolerant SJW foes than they are of him.

• JimRossi

Fatal flaw in Popper’s argument, which is well discussed, is WHO gets to decide what is intolerant. I will decide for myself, thank you.

• FuzzmanX

The “free speech” argument is nonsense. These hate mongers run a hate propaganda website. Inviting them REWARDS intollerance. They don’t need Cal’s help to enrage people with their poisonous rhetoric. But feel free to invite them to speak, if you are too stupid to see that a riot will result.

• lspanker

The only reason a “riot” will result is because your side is immature, irresponsible and violent. Republicans and conservatives didn’t riot when Obama was elected, yet the left has engaged in widespread hysteria and thuggery.

• JimRossi

Several of us who voted for Obama and worked on his campaign are also going to hear Milo speak. Many people call “hate speech” and fascism anything thing they disagree with – often using anonymous identifiers online. Cowardly.

• darling137

Congrats. You and your ilk, who’ve already reduced the words “rape”, “sexist”, and “racist” to blanket but meaningless insults, have done the same with the word “hate”. It is so misapplied and overused that it’s like the boy crying wolf one thousand times. No one truly believes you any more. I watch a Milo clip or see something on Brietbart and then hear the hysterical description from the far left and I wonder if they were looking at the same thing as me.

• FuzzmanX

Thanks, but you are brain dead.

• darling137

Funny coming from one of those folks who doesn’t understand that free speech doesn’t mean “You can talk and discuss…as long as I agree with it.” The riot resulted from a bunch of blackshirts in masks, probably from outside the university but nevertheless echoing the sentiments of the protesters.

• FuzzmanX

Zzzzzz

• darling137

Awww, does Fuzzman need nappy time?

• roccolore

You fascist Democrats are the hatemongers.

• lspanker

This is a conversation about our values.

And your values are about using any means possible to silence the opposition. Next…

• FuzzmanX

I’m next. Editors of Non-So-Bright-Bart are hardly being silenced. Please stop acting like you are owed a public forum for hate speech. You don’t have that right.

• Ryan

It basically is a right. Freedom of speech. Freedom to meet peacefully.

This isn’t the UK

• FuzzmanX

You are welcome to open you gaping maw and spew hatred, yes. That is *free speech* The Constitution doesn’t guarantee you an audience.

• roccolore

Fascist Democrats like you want to criminalize any criticism of radical Islam.

• FuzzmanX

Radical Islam not a problem. I’m most concerned about retarded Christianity.

• roccolore

Liberals are the retards who defended the San Bernardino attacks, which liberals blamed on the Christian victims.

• FuzzmanX

Right.

• roccolore
          • FuzzmanX

The Muslims are gonna get you first.

• roccolore

Clintonites like you make excuses for ISIS.

• lspanker

I don’t act like I own anything. You’re the one behaving that way.

• FuzzmanX

When you learn to think about other people, you’ll get why other people want Milo to die.

Suck it.

• roccolore

Democrats like you are fascists who hate free speech. How ironic that you also want a gay man to die. Democrats are like ISIS.

• FuzzmanX

You don’t know what Facism is. Good luck with your learning.

• roccolore

I know what fascism is and I saw liberals practice it during their “peace rallies.”

• FuzzmanX

Watch a documentary about The Third Reich and then tell us how much you think you know about Facism, angry right-wing person.

• roccolore

You left-wingers are the angry fascists who riot.

• FuzzmanX

Please SPEAK about where $22B for a pointless wall will come from.

• roccolore

Clintonites like you attack the idea of an American border wall while defending a similar wall along Mexico’s southern border.

• we arent the ones trying to suppress free speech

• JimRossi

Not up to you to decide what hate speech is. 1st Amendment is clear: no abridging of free speech or free assembly.

• FuzzmanX

Come to Berkeley and let all of us tell you what we think, since you think you deserve to be listed to. Is that the free speech you think you deserve, after hating everything you label Liberal? Thank God for idiot Milo and his token Alt Right fans. Hope he made it to the airport in one piece, NOT.

• JimRossi

Learn how to spell, and try using your real name, coward. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/uc-berkeley-2017-social-justice-means-mob-rule-jim-rossi

• FuzzmanX

Internet free speech proponents issue threats.

• FuzzmanX

Such a man. I still wouldn’t hire you. We don’t have any openings for boot lickers where I work.

• JimRossi

Why don’t you reveal your name, coward?

• FuzzmanX

Why don’t you blow me, tough guy.

• JimRossi

Let’s meet up,talk is cheap.

• FuzzmanX

You might have an STD, fool.

• Tshaj Lij Lis

This kids, is how you lose a debate.

• FuzzmanX

Kind of like the three that Donald lost. How’s the first 3 weeks of hatred working out. Been deported yet?

• roccolore

You Clinton supporters are the hatemongers.

• FuzzmanX

Yes.

• FuzzmanX

Kind of like your President that doesn’t understand Equal Protection.

• roccolore

Clintonites like you support special privileges for certain groups.

• Graison Mitio

“I hope the person that said mean things is dead because I am unable to understand the fact that people are allowed to say unpopular things”

• FuzzmanX

You think you’ve found a way to force others to listen to the voices in your head

• Tshaj Lij Lis

>hate speech

Is it that simple? How about this, i declare everything BLM says, and everything you say, HATE SPEECH! Now what? Stop with your Hate Speech against conservatives and white people Fuzzman. You are not allowed to talk in public and we are going to beat up anyone who supports you. Please stop acting like you are owed a public forum for hate speech.

Do you see the issue? Just because you don’t like what someone is saying, doesn’t mean you have the right to silence him.

You can keep drinking the koolaid, but this is not an argument you will win.

• FuzzmanX

Your parents must be thrilled.

• lspanker

Perhaps from your position of privilege, you have been unable to hear the voices of members of the LGBTQ+ community

Oh, give us a break. How can we NOT hear you, given that you people can’t ever shut up for a moment and let anyone else speak?

• FuzzmanX

Please go to Berkeley on Wednesday, since you don’t seem to know anything.

• lspanker

I have no real desire to go back there at the moment. Unlike the majority of you left-wing agitators, I have this thing called “work” and I get paid to show up at it.

• FuzzmanX

Then shut up about free speech in Berkeley. You arr 100% wrong.

• roccolore

Fascist Democrats like you hate free speech.

• FuzzmanX

You must have flunked Poly Sci.

• roccolore

Fascist Democrats like you think rioting and looting are free speech.

• FuzzmanX

Facist Democrats = Alternate Facts

• roccolore

You Democrats ARE fascists. You are anti-Jewish, anti-Christian, pro-abortion, pro-Islam, anti-military, and anti-police. And as we have seen, you hate free speech and you will riot to stop it.

• FuzzmanX

Anti-idiot. You forgot that.

• roccolore

You Democrats are the idiots who riot and commit arson.

• FuzzmanX

Yeah, that was all of the Dems in Berkeley and I had time for a riot. Less FoxNews, more interaction with living society.

• roccolore

MSNBC and CNN have brainwashed you. No surprise that you make excuses for riots. Funny how those who defend riots aren’t the ones whose homes are torched by “peaceful” leftists.

• FuzzmanX

No. I’m definitely thinking all by myself. College education, anyone?

• FuzzmanX

You can say whatever you want. Don’t expect a loving crowd and polite applause. Please come back, Milo.

• roccolore

Fascist Democrats like you are cowards.

• FuzzmanX

You are clueless. Facism is like Nazi Germany, which is like the GOP now. Alt facts, alt news, etc.

• roccolore

You Democrats are fascists: Anti-Jewish, anti-Christian, pro-abortion, pro-Islam, anti-military, anti-freedom

• FuzzmanX

Anti Jew?
            Trump has his finger in Benji’s pooper.

Anti Islam?
            Didn’t somebody named Donald just attempt illegal travel restrictions?

You have the hate problem. I merely pity hateful idiots. If you don’t want to fight, don’t act like a bully.

• roccolore

You liberals are the hatemongers and bullies who hate free speech, hate Jews, hate Christians, hate our troops, hate police officers, hate Israel, and defend terrorists.

• FuzzmanX

I’m a VETERAN, you pizza gobbler.

• Echo

I’m going tomorrow night! Very excited for many reasons! I will be shouting, “MILO,” from the top of my lungs the whole time! I’m a lesbian and never once took anything Milo has said as a gay hate message. You’re all blind and ignorant. I’m done posting here because it seems you now have to have your comment approved by this ‘newsletter’ so free speech obviously doesn’t exist here unless you’re a libertard.

• FuzzmanX

Hope your hateful ledbian body didn’t get too burned or bruised last night. Must be lonely being a Trumptard Lesbian.

• Echo

Lol, you’re comment screams hypocrisy so loudly it’s laughable. You defend women and their ‘inequality’ and shame white male ‘supremacy’, you ‘fight’ for gays and say it’s wrong to demean them and ‘hate’ on them, it’s wrong to say anything that might be even remotely offensive or hurt their feelings yet here I am, a gay woman and you’re harassing me and attacking me for my political viewpoints. Oh and what balls of steel you must have attacking someone online on a discussion board. How brave of you. Keep it up sweetheart. I’m going to let you cretins destroy your own ’cause’ with your blind ignorance and hypocrisy. Lucky for you I can take some heat…unlike poor Leslie ;) Oh, and work on your English skills, they are lacking. Someone didn’t finish HS….

• FuzzmanX

Isn’t it fun being so angry? You must want others to hate you as much as you hate yourself.

• Tshaj Lij Lis

You triggered Fuzz? She put you in your place!

• FuzzmanX

Your mom asked if your homework is done

• Katatetorihanzo

You might get more from the experience if you adopt a more critical eye to Yiannopoulos rhetoric. Let me start with a fundamental question. Does his message have any value other than causing conflict, chaos and significant security expenditure? Does he inspire you to destroy or to create?

• Tshaj Lij Lis

Does BLM inspire us to destroy or create?

• Katatetorihanzo

Create…a safer interaction between police and civilians according to the motto: “to serve and to protect.

Destroy… Police brutality

• ChumpooX

Why does everyone assert that Republicans are privileged? Most poor people vote Republican. Look at the Latino communities of Florida. There are a lot of platitudes in this article that are indicative of the small-minded UCB personality that jars on everyone’s nerves. The LGBTQ+ community is one of the most vocal and politically active in the Bay Area, if not also the USA. They can defend themselves. Why does everyone think that they need to be a cowboy and stand up for their rights? I mean it’s good to have solidarity but if the LGBTQ+ community as an organized population doesn’t really care about this guy, then why is everyone else soo butthurt?

Anyway, just my two cents. But OMG Milo’s hair though?!

• FuzzmanX

No, ignorant people vote Republican. You imply that being poor is equivalent to being ignorant. The GOP is anti-poor.

Please name a single disadvantaged Republican politician.

• ChumpooX

Abraham Lincoln

• FuzzmanX

You just got an F. He’s still dead.

• lspanker

Please name a single poor Democrat politician since the days of Harry Truman.

• FuzzmanX

Donald cares about you. XD

• FuzzmanX

Barack Obama.

• darling137

Tim Scott? Maybe Tom Cotton? Duffy? Depends how one describes “disadvantaged”

• roccolore

You Democrats are the ignorant ones.

• Echo

Please name a single disadvantaged Democratic politician? Hillary isn’t, Bernie isn’t…soooo

• Tshaj Lij Lis

>No, ignorant people vote Republican.
        You have no credibility making such a blanket statement. Over generalizations and your emotions should be left out of debate.