The cause of death for the couple who died in their South Berkeley apartment Jan. 23 is still undetermined, according to an email sent by Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Officer Byron White on Monday.
This information comes at a time when many media outlets, including CBS, the Daily Mail and the New York Daily News, have been reporting that officials have determined the couple, Roger and Valerie Morash, died from carbon monoxide poisoning from their 3D printer. Berkeleyside also reported that the couple may have died from carbon monoxide poisoning, though it attributed the deaths to speculations of a laser cutter’s emissions.
White said in his email, however, that the cause of death still has not been confirmed. Berkeleyside has since removed the reference to the laser cutter from the headline and lede of the article.
“Over the past few days, information has circulated that a cause of death has been determined in the recent suspicious deaths on Deakin Street,” White said in his email. “The Berkeley Police Department has not yet made a determination of the Morash’s cause of death. The Berkeley Police Department is waiting for the report from the Coroner’s Office on the Morash’s cause of death.”
In his email, White explained that Berkeley Fire Department, BFD’s Hazardous Materials Team and PG&E responded to the scene and tested the building for any contaminants, including carbon monoxide, radiation and gas leaks. According to White, none of these agencies found any traces of those contaminants in the building.
White said in his email that he was told that the coroner’s office is giving the Morash case priority. He added that the report “may be provided to us in a week or so.”
Check back for updates.
A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Berkeleyside had reported that carbon monoxide emitting from a 3-D printer may have caused the death of the couple. In fact, Berkeleyside had reported that carbon monoxide emitting from a laser cutter may have been the cause of death.