Berkeley students should organize protest against Milo Yiannopoulos

coloredited_nishali-naik_milo
Nishali Naik/Staff

The Berkeley Against Trump coalition, previously known as the Berkeley J20 coalition, invites all solidarity-minded students and other members of the campus community to protest with us against far-right agitator Milo Yiannopoulos on Feb. 1. We will gather at 5 p.m at Sproul and show our unwillingness to allow our campus to be used to spread Yiannopoulous’s vile bigotry at this time when the forces of oppression are ascendant nationally. All those thousands who rallied with us on Sproul Plaza against the inauguration of hater-in-chief Donald Trump on Jan. 20 should join us to continue defending solidarity on our campus. The university administration’s refusal to cancel Yiannopoulos’s event is irrelevant — the campus belongs to the students, staff and faculty who run it, and in our numbers we will demonstrate exactly how we will run it. UC Davis shut down an event showcasing Yiannopoulous and pharma rich boy Martin Shkreli — we should all learn from this example.

Right-wingers have derided oppressed students standing up against bigotry as “special snowflakes.” We give no quarter to this slander and remind all potential allies: It was precisely the mass student organizing against racism and imperialism in the 1960s on this campus which led to an administration crackdown on free speech, birthing the Free Speech Movement (FSM). The powers that be have always been hostile to unyielding struggle against oppression, preferring half-measures like Chancellor Dirks’s recent statement, which offers lip service for values of inclusion and diversity.

However, many other well-meaning people are also on the fence about how to respond to Yiannopoulous’s impending presence. They are repulsed by him and the vile racism and misogyny that he spreads, but feel the culture of free speech on our campus should give us pause about shutting him down. We implore all of these people to revisit the actual history of FSM. The years 1963-64 were the height of the nonviolent direct action phase of the civil rights movement, nationally as well as at Berkeley. This was a time when, even in the liberal Bay Area, Black people were shut out of nearly all public positions of employment: clerks, cashiers, bank tellers, etc. The Berkeley chapter of the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE) led a series of militant demonstrations and sit-ins to win equal rights for Black people. It was because of this that the university administration banned organizations from using Sproul Plaza, and the FSM began. As FSM participant Joel Geier describes:

“This connection to the civil rights movement is necessary to understanding the Free Speech Movement. It wasn’t just about the right of unrestricted free speech. It was about the university response to the political pressures from the capitalist establishment of California, which was trying to crack down and stop the mobilization of campus activists taking on the racist hiring practices of California corporations. It was an attempt to shut down the civil rights movement on campus that was engaging in off-campus activity that was “illegal” by holding sit-ins against the “legal” right of the employers not to hire Blacks.”

It was in this context — one of massive, unpermitted demonstrations against bigotry and repeated arrests — that FSM leader Mario Savio famously implored students who were fed up with the how “odious” things were to put their “bodies upon the gears” of the university “machine” and stop it from proceeding:

“There is a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part; you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you’ve got to make it stop. And you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all!”
The Berkeley Against Trump coalition calls on all solidarity-minded members of the campus to fight for this true legacy of FSM. The far-right is getting organized against us — we must get organized against them. The first step is coming out en masse to kick Yiannopoulous and his hateful bile off our campus.

Mukund Rathi writes on behalf the Berkeley Against Trump Coalition, formerly known as the Berkeley J20 Coalition.

Contact the Opinion Desk at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter at @dailycalopinion.

• Praelium

The broken windows are upsetting. My grandmother, father, brother and myself attended Cal when it was affordable and under 5K a semester. Here’s what I learned. Logic: every human person is 100% human. Ethics: every person deserves 100% respect. Physics: the universe was created by God to share His goodness. Politics: every person has rights for speaking, assembling, declaring innocence, praying, and shooting. Plus, I learned how to support these sound conclusions with demonstrations at Cal. “All solidarity-minded students” in 1983 Poland gathered around Lech Walesa, prayed the rosary and defeated Jaruzelski, the role model of George Soros. Pray a rosary for peace in Berkeley.

• Robbins Mitchell

Well,Berkeley has pretty much been a hippie/lefty $h!tpot since the memory of man runneth not to the contrary…nothing new here

• jnarcus

The irony of UC being the place to shut down free speech is too rich.
    Keep at it all you social justice warriors. You will learn the way the sixties radicals learned, you are defeating your own cause.

• Man with Axe

You wrote: “…the campus belongs to the students, staff and faculty who run it.”

This is clearly false. The students have done nothing to acquire ownership of the campus. They are customers. The faculty and staff are employees. The campus is owned by the taxpayers of California. They could prove this, if they chose, by shutting the place down. They could expel all the students and replace them with other students. They could fire the faculty and staff and replace them, too. But the taxpayers are here to stay.

As I write this, after the riots surrounding Milo’s canceled appearance, those taxpayers might start thinking about what kind of institution they are supporting with their tax dollars.

• Josh

So, if I understand you correctly, this guy Yiannopoulus — a gay right-wing provocateur who cares about nothing but getting media attention and building his so-called brand — represents a 2017 version of Savio’s capitalist machine? And to extend this ridiculous metaphor, we all should applaud when a bunch of pseudo revolutionaries break and burn stuff because, don’t you see, they are throwing their bodies on the gears of this odious regime and saving us all from right-wing oppression?
    Mario Savio never advocated blocking anyone’s speech on campus, no matter how odious. He would have seen right through Yiannopoulus and realized that it wasn’t even worth the time of the protesters — most of whom just seemed interested in taking video on their iPhones that their parents bought them, or in the case of the pseudo-revolutionaries, breaking stuff to show how important their anger is.
    Don’t invoke Savio’s name (or free speech principles) unless you are prepared to understand what they mean beyond your own small window to the world.

• dee

Shouting out to the Berkeley protesters—not surprised violence has shown up, and not buying into it either. I won’t even write it out here, we know what happened and the plan is pretty clear that this will continue no matter how peaceful the protest is in reality. We are in alternative reality now.

Anyway, I figure some of you might be young enough to not remember this song, and even if you do, and liked it or not, there’s no better time than now to have a look and listen. You never know what point turns for something good and powerful, so keep on keeping on. Chin up.

Nickelback If Everyone Cared

• Jeremy Stanhope

I prefer Battle Hymn of the Republic

• Theurbanpoacher
  • garyfouse

Congratulations. You did your job. You have shut down free speech with a riot and shamed UC Berkeley once again.

• Berkeley Free Speech Movement
    October 1, 1964 – February 1, 2017
    Rest In Peace

of the three op-eds The Daily California ran opposing Milo’s event, none cared to cite a single example of his hate speech in their lengthy screeds… in the one editorial against him, there is reference to his harassing a transgender student in Milwaukee with a link… those not bothering to follow the link are left to believe he simply randomly attacked a defenseless student out of sheer hate, while those who did can plainly see, even though the article linked tried to make the case of harassment, he was making a cogent point about abusing Title IX by citing someone who already had put themselves into the public arena, albeit in his inimitable, irreverent and flamboyant mocking style… these ill-informed efforts in making Milo a scapegoat of imaginary oppression only served to rile up an ill-informed herd mentality… looking forward to reading The Daily Californian’s next editorial and/or op-ed as the smoke clears, because a simple spin justifying a riot won’t cut it… a thorough heavy-duty cycle for stubborn stains is gonna be needed here…

• AZTEX00

Mob rule at a liberal college campus. If we don’t like what you have to say, we’ll shut you down. Facism on parade, and I ain’t talking about Donald Trump.

Will The Daily Californian condemn the actions of these thugs? Or is this what the university and this newspaper stand for?

• Jeremy Stanhope

Will the Daily Californian pay for the damage after inciting the riot they got?

• Betty Tucker

Yes, that’s right Brooke. PULL ALL FEDERAL FUNDING from these idiots. Starting today

• Betty Tucker

Typical worthless whining entitlement Communist liberals at it again alongside the BLM/AKA black panthers/black bloc terrorist. What should have happened is what happened back in the 1960’s. Bring in the military and shoot these terrorist when they refuse to desist and desperse. But what do you expect from a state that allows anything goes and is full of nothing but perverted people, psychopaths, serial killers, terrorist, pedophiles, sexual deviants, worthless gang bangers, mentally ill and nothing but plain weridos? California is what you get. This state should be disacosiated from the united States. Let them kill each other off and handle thier own problems, since their so liberal minded and think the rest of the country are beneath them. I lived thier for 3years and don’t even want to drive through the worthless state, much less live there again. Disgusting and deplorable behavior from the supposedly elite of the country. Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha. Lol. What a joke

• Marc

Man, look at the mess you fools caused.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/protests-violence-prompts-uc-berkeley-cancel-milo-yiannopoulos-event-n715711

This is exactly the stuff that got Trump elected.

• Ribb Rotgut

The birthplace of the Free Speech Movement wants to kill free speech. This catastrophe tonight was a disgrace. The antifa anti-free speech liberal left are fascists. Y’all are going to help re-elect King Joffrey in 2020. Well done.

• tremereregent

Of course they’re rioting. It’s not enough that a faulty Electoral College system put a bonafide Neo-Nazi in the White House who turns prejudice into policy, but now one of his racist supporters wants to further exacerbate things? Rage has boiled over.

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/20/12226070/milo-yiannopoulus-twitter-ban-explained

And just think, Trump hasn’t been in office even a month yet, and already a complete disgrace. This party’s just getting started. Better strap in, folks.

• Psychedelic Chicken

Any one notice how almost all forums now have been taken over by the “alt-right”?

Scared yet where this is all headed?

• Scap

No it hasn’t. It is people who are in the middle in disbelief how dumb people are acting. Of course liberals on the far left think everybody who does not agree with them are on the far right and a bunch of other things. The far left is kind of scary in how they are acting much like the Germans in the 30’s.

• Psychedelic Chicken

Right wingers have demonized every movement of people fighting for the basic rights of human beings forever.

If you would have been around during the labor rights struggles surely you would have sided with those gunning down them thar Communists.

I mean, wouldn’t it be fantastic to still have child labor. and sweatshops as the norm?

Do right wingers still dream of returning to those good old days? Yes?

Gilded age here we come!!

We don’t need no meat packer inspections!!!

Honey, get the kids on the workers’ bus. Off for another 12 hour day!!

• Two Americas

My reply to that character is on hold. Unbelievable. No possible reason that I can see.

• Scap

I wasn’t aware of anybody on the right or left who wanted to bring back child labor. You bring up people’s basic rights but that is the exact thing that is going on tonight, or lack of it. What I see is a bunch of babies having a tantrum trying to sensor somebodies right to speak. Then I see a group of morons attacking people for no reason and looting Starbucks. They keep reporters away with violence and want only free handouts.

• Two Americas

I certainly am noticing that. I am also noticing a strange coalescing of right wing and left wing talking points, with many who seemed to be leftists not so long ago now apologizing for Trump and repeating extreme right wing taking points.

• Psychedelic Chicken

I was referring to those of whom you speak as Trump Neo Leftists, but now I’ve settled on “alt-left”.

• Two Americas

OK. Good to see you. It has been lonely here. The whole country has lost its collective mind.

You never can know ahead of time just who will be on which side when it finally comes down. Good to see you here.

• Psychedelic Chicken

You too. Take heart, you are not alone. Talking to myself here as well.

By the way. I called into this publication, and suggested that an investigation should be undertaken regarding these Black Bloc jerks.

I highly suspect, that these Black Bloc jerks have alliances with forces NOT of the left actually opposing Trump.

I am being somewhat snarky calling them Breitbart Black Bloc, but their actions certainly would align with Breitbart style tactics.

Trump no doubt has some VERY deep and dark power aligned behind him.

These are very dangerous times.

• Ribb Rotgut

Fool. The violent antifa left are the real deal. Ironically, they are the fascists.

• chasrmartin

Good job, guys. You got your demonstration.

• Psychedelic Chicken

And it is not the fault of peaceful protesters that Breitbart Black Bloc showed up.

• Psychedelic Chicken

A lot of struggles that millions have benefited from, including you, happened during the sixties.

You think Milo is enlightened in this regard? Have you read his right wing screed?

Protest more and often, as fascism has arrived.

I mean, look how this forum is being dominated by right wingers that in reality couldn’t care less about an intellectually honest exchange of ideas.

They want dominance in culture and governance, which of course leads to repression.

They always want the bad ___ strongman, wars of aggression, and what they really love, beating up on poor people.

• lspanker

You and your ilk brought it here, not Milo.

We’re not the ones rioting to shut down opposing points of view, you demented fruitcake.

• NoeValleyJim

You assault and kill people in turban, brown people, gay people and anyone else who you don’t like. You do it every day and you do it all over America.

• Marc

@Pschedelic Chicken,

A lot of struggles that millions benefited from, including myself happened in the 1770’s too. And if somebody was always quoting “the (17)70s” I’d say the same thing to them.

I bet if you didn’t have your cell phone to look it up, you could not define fascism. It has a real meaning, and is a real system of government. At fascism’s core is a non elected dictator. WWII was a war against fascism i.e. fascist governments.

“We” democratically elected the db in the white house. So no, fascism is not coming or here.
      If elections are canceled and the constitution suspended, talk to me. Until then, be very, very grateful you do not live under a fascist/totalitarian/authoritarian government.

“I mean, look how this forum is being dominated by right wingers that in reality couldn’t care less about an intellectually honest exchange of ideas.”

Thats odd that you say that, because most of the posts that took issue with the article are being very “intellectually honest” by calling out the author’s twisted logic.

I am not right wing and by reading the posts, I’d guess most of those folks posting aren’t either. Although I can’t speak for them, I’d guess most of them are like me, tired of ignorant extremism, of every color and persuasion.

• Bob

Very well said.

• NoeValleyJim

Do you think that Milo Y. is an ignorant extremist?

• sven holmes

Congrats

Someone should bill you for all of the people who are in the hospital, the destroyed trash cans, windows, property, and cars.

You should be held liable for this.

we did it reddit!

• lovestohike

Freedom of speech is something that these people protest.

its sad.

Regardless of how you feel on the issues, lets protest peacefully not violently.

• garyfouse

What an irresponsible op-ed. Why did you not say peacefully protest? Tonight’s events just unfolding show how irresponsible this is. The Daily Cal should be ashamed.

• Jeremy Stanhope

I think this is the same Mukund Rathi who is a supporter of Hamas and virulent anti-Semite who came to us via UT Austin.

• IWC IWC

Wow guess the students are anti free speech. Ironic

• roccolore

Democrats are fascists who hate free speech.

• Krummholzt

The alt-right, even Milo’s milquetoast version of it, is an existential threat to modern liberalism. It is more intellectually interesting and rigorous 90% of social science being generated on modern campuses, and culturally, it’s fresh, exciting, and far more appealing, particularly to young, tech-savvy people, than the tired, 1990s era, critical race and gender silliness that we still give people degrees for, for some reason. No wonder TDC finds it so threatening that it must protect people from even hearing about it. They are right to be fearful.

• Spikier Than Thou

While the ‘shut him down’ rhetoric makes me uncomfortable, the fact of the matter is that milo’s ‘Gamergate’ movement has repeatedly used fraud and threat of violence to attempt to silence people they see as ‘SJWs’. milo is, at best, a fellow traveler of the perpetrators. The fact that at least two of the ‘swattings’ occurred shortly after the women targeted had made statements which severely damaged milo’s social standing leads me to suspect that his involvement in Gamergate may well run deeper than has currently been disclosed.

(edited to correct capitalization of milo’s name.)

• Paul Cavanaugh

You are being dishonest. If you’re going to tar Milo with all the sins of anyone he’s ever shared a position with, if you’re going to blame Milo for some 4chan troll that swatted someone two years ago, doesn’t that mean every BLM supporter needs to own the murder of cops in Dallas last July? Doesn’t that mean every BLM supporter needs to own the gleeful celebration of these murders on twitter by other BLM advocates?

Fellow traveler my rear end. You want it both ways. You want to run clear and clean of anyone on YOUR side while vilifying anyone on the side you disagree with. Guilt by association, but only if YOU are the one deciding the associations.

We are all individuals. Milo has just as much right to speak as you or anyone else does. Milo and I agree on very little but he has a right to speak. What is happening tonight is an atrocity.

• Spikier Than Thou

Milo has every right to speak.

Blaming Milo for every alt-right twit who cannot be compared to a mammalian elimination orifice without insulting mammalian elimination orifices ould be unfair.

Blaming Milo for the alt-right twits who act on his behalf, targeting his enemies, with his full awareness of their actions, is, on the other hand, rather more reasonable.

• Jeremy Stanhope

“Milo’s ‘Gamergate’ movement”? Since when has it been his movement? He reported on journalists colluding in secret. The Gamergate movement was underway long before he even noticed it and who even pays attention to 4chan?

• Spikier Than Thou

He was the primary publicist for Gamergate, assuming you believe the hypothesis that ‘Milo Yiannopoulos’ is a real person and not simply an actor hired by Bannon. (The actor hypothesis only makes sense if we assume that Steve Bannon is stupid enough to BELIEVE that the left will dismiss logical criticism if the person making the argument is a member of a ‘protected class’. Since Steve Bannon is provably stupid enough to think that he can control UK political appointments, most competent observers are of the position that Steve Bannon may, in fact, be stupid enough to believe that having a gay man support his arguments will completely unravel leftist opposition.)

• Jeremy Stanhope

Yiannopoulos exposed secret collusion amongst some so called journalists. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Spikier Than Thou

‘Secret collusion’? Boy started a fascist pressure campaign to try to chase people whose politics he disapproved of out of the game industry. That’s the same exact same type of censorship his fans pretend to be against.

I also find it extremely suspicious that there were false police reports filed against at least two game developers shortly after they had made statements which lowered his social standing. How many people care enough about the reputation of a Breitbart columnist to commit actual crimes on his behalf?

• justiceplease

I wonder how many of the comments below are just Yiannopoulos sockpuppets: after all he is a self-professed troll!

Anyway, the sad thing is that a big protest gives this self-aggrandizing jerk exactly what he wants: a crowd that inflates his status as a legend in his own mind. I suspect at some point he will stage an attack on himself so he can parade around as a martyr. However, this protest has to occur because the Chancellor set everyone up. The free speech issue was a red herring: Yiannopoulos can speak any time he wants. It would in fact be amusing to see him trying to out-yell the various would-be Prophets of Berkeley wandering around Telegraph Avenue. The issue is that the Chancellor enabled Yiannopoulos to amplify his voice by providing a stage and a megaphone.

This Chancellor should have simply cancelled the Yiannopoulos visit on the grounds that he has incited violence against women and purveys racist hate speech. Followers of his GamerGate controversy threatened to rape and kill women, published their personal location information to actualize those threats, and forced them to flee their homes. One group on Reddit engaged in an elaborate plot to “drive” one woman to suicide. This is not about free speech: it’s about how fascism gets propagated.

I also have news for the campus Republicans that invited Yiannopoulos to speak: Yiannopoulos sucks as a figurehead for your political position. Are you really about racism and misogyny? Do you really think that trolling on the Internet equates to some sort of real life empowerment? Trump isn’t President because he is the King of Internet Trolls: he’s President because he won the backlash vote of the declining regions of the country. Supporting Yiannopoulos’s speaking tour just assigns credit where it doesn’t belong, and it makes campus Republicans look like misogynistic White Supremacists by association.

• Spikier Than Thou

You make a good point to the conservatives – what swung my own vote from Stein to Clinton wasn’t love of Clinton – it was the fact that Trump was willing to work with the people responsible for Gamergate’s wave of petty terrorism. History pretty clearly shows that the people who come into office at the head of a horde of thugs tend to get worse once they have the power of the state on their side.

• roccolore

Fascist Democrats like you are the misogynists and racists. You support radical Islam and the cop-hating BlackLivesMatter. Fascist Democrats like you want to shut Milo down, yet you have no problem with those who advocate killing gays and Jews. Fascist Democrats like you hate free speech.

• justiceplease

ok.

• Spikier Than Thou

Is there anyone who advocates killing gays or Jews giving a speech within a mile of BART this month? I’ll happily show up to protest them, even if it means I’m going to be on the same side as you are for that show.

• Jeremy Stanhope

You truly do not understand who is emulating the behavior of fascists here. The RIOT (not protest) tonight was classic Brown Shirt behavior. Campus groups should have the right to invite whomever they wish to speak without interference from the school administration. That was the essence of the FSM that started in Berkeley.

• justiceplease

What riot? I was there until midnight and didn’t see any rioting.

• Jeremy Stanhope

The riot was those guys shooting fireworks at police, throwing barricades through windows, injuring people, breaking windows with baseball bats, etc. You just make yourself look worse by trying to pretend.

http://www.abc10.com/news/local/california/after-berkeley-riots-president-trump-threatens-to-take-away-federal-funds/395787440

• justiceplease

I didn’t see any of that, but the bat-chasing occurred downtown with the black masks, not at the student protest on campus. The black masks later came up the hill to infiltrate the protest: I don’t know when the barricades were thrown, but the black masks did that as well.
            I did see small fireworks, but I didn’t see any that were “shot at” the police. They were shot into the air, and they added to the July 4th festive atmosphere.
            The police usually tell stories about bricks being thrown at them to justify a decision to use gas or other mass-target weapons on protesters. The only campus police I saw were up on the MLK balcony, though. If anyone hurled anything, it got nowhere near them.

• Spikier Than Thou

From my angle, I did see fireworks that appeared launched at the police – some sparklery stuff that, while more light than boom, really shouldn’t be thrown at people. (This would be sometime in the 5PM-7PM window). At some point there was also a large plume of smoke that I believed to be tear gas at the time (later reports, IIRC, suggest it was just a smoke bomb) – however, given that the smoke bomb appeared centered roughly where the fireworks were coming from, I can’t fault the police on that one.

Someone was throwing something loud; I wasn’t able to tell 100% which side it was coming from, but the fact that the cops were flinching and none of the protesters appeared to be reacting as if they were being fired on suggests to me that it was Black Bloc with the loud fireworks.

Personally I could do without so much ‘festive atmosphere’. Milo’s little cult has done enough that I am not going to mourn the windows or the lightpost, and Berkeley PD are evidently sufficiently familiar with Black Bloc party favours that they didn’t escalate the situation (at least while I was there), but I seriously doubt that I’m the only one whose emotional reaction to a stray explosion is to think someone’s brought guns or non-toy bombs to the party.

• justiceplease

The smoke was something people threw on the bonfires to make smoke. When I first got there, I saw the students on the edge toward Telegraph run across the street a couple of times. I didn’t understand why since nothing was going on as I walked further in toward the center. From your account, they could have thought the smoke was the UC police gassing the students. They did threaten to do so a few times to try to disperse the protest.

If the police did throw smoke bombs, they could have been responsible for starting the various riot they were (ostensibly) trying to prevent. Those students running across the street could have started a contagious panic. Luckily people in Berkeley are used to protest shenanigans, and they tend to remain level-headed. As I said, I just kept walking toward the center to see what was actually going on.

It sounds like you may have been too far away to judge the distance of the mini-fireworks/Roman candles from the police. None of them appeared to get near the police to me. The police, on the other hand, were dressed like storm roopers: they had black armored gear and helmets. I think it was logical for the police to protect themselves, but they might want to be less obvious about it. That sort of clothing evokes a totalitarian police state.

• Spikier Than Thou

When the smoke plume went up, someone vaguely in my vicinity announced ‘Tear Gas!’, a few bandanas went up to airway-protection duty, and the crowd generally edged away from the bonfire a bit.

I was pretty near, but around the corner of the building, so if the sparklers were being launched wide of it I might have misjudged direction. The vertical angle was very definitely within that of the building, though, and I’m pretty sure I saw one of the fireworks land on the balcony.

I wonder if high-vis armour (the yellow reflective stuff crossing guards etc have) would be more conducive to peaceful crowd control? If I’d had armour I would have brought it, given the Seattle incident.

• justiceplease

I thought it unfortunate that the University police were dressed like every cliche of the Totalitarian State: black armor, jackboots, army-style helmet, etc.

Your memory of the smoke plumes matches mine.

• lspanker

You chose what to see, and what not to see. You’re not even in touch with reality.

• justiceplease

At least I’m in Berkeley. You’re not even in California.

• roccolore

You black supremacists are the racists and misogynists who defend copkillers, rap music, and radical Islam. You black supremacists are the fascists who hate Jews, hate gays, and defend ISIS.

• justiceplease

Thank you for finally laying out your divide-and-conquer tactics. I was a bit confused about what the neo-nazis were trying to do. Now it’s clear! Thanks!

• roccolore

You Democrats are the Nazis.

• Paul Cavanaugh

The author writes: “UC Davis shut down an event showcasing Yiannopoulous……….. — we should all learn from this example.”

I find this statement far more evil than anything Milo has ever said. Those who wish to crush free speech are not my allies and not my friends. I supported Clinton and I detest Donald Trump in every way imaginable however he would have never become president if it weren’t for the intolerant bigots on the left demonstrating to the nation that they can’t handle a debate.

I am physically sickened by all of this and if God forbid someone gets seriously injured tonight, as happened when AntiFa protested in Sacramento last year, You will absolutely create a million new Trump supporters by morning.

• EBGuy

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.
      I do share your concerns about BAMN/AntiFa/BlackBloc violence. This may be the first test for our newly appointed police chief and recently elected mayor. I’m hoping the rains dampen the enthusiasm for anyone wishing to burn down the city.

• Ribb Rotgut

These antifa fascist fools don’t realize they are driving people from the left.

• jacob v

Another reporter attempting to shut down someone else’s right to free speech. What hypocricy!

• Spikier Than Thou

If it was OK for milo to try to shut down programmers’ free speech, why is it suddenly bad when someone else does it to him?

• roccolore

Fascist Democrats are the ones who hate dissenting opinions.

• Psychedelic Chicken

Right wingers are all inclusive don’t you know. Chasing that fallacious call to hypocrisy argument are you?

• Spikier Than Thou

Are you trying to call milo a fascist Democrat, or are you repeating a talking point without regard for the fact that it makes you look like a bot?

• roccolore

No, I calling the left-wingers who “protested” against Milo fascists.

• NoeValleyJim

Protesting is fascism? It is actually called out a right of The People in our Constitution. I recommend you take a look at it someday.

• roccolore

Ignorant Democrat, they were not protesting. They were rioting and setting fires. Fascist Democrats like you hate free speech and will do anything to prevent someone from speaking.

• NoeValleyJim

Were you there? Overwhelmingly people were protesting. At least 2000 people were protesting. A small fringe group, probably 100 strong showed up and started rioting.

• roccolore

And not one liberal denounced the riots. Instead, they blamed Milo.

• NoeValleyJim

Not true at all. You are too ignorant to be worth having a discussion with. There is proof of your ignorance right in this discussion forum where many liberal student complained about the violence. Who do you think showed up at 5 AM the next day and started cleaning up the mess? Liberal Berkeley college students, that’s who!

• Psychedelic Chicken

What, protesting someone’s speech isn’t free speech?

He surely has the freedom of speech in tact granted by the Constitution, whether his event is cancelled or not.

Do I have to spell out why that is the case?

When Trump and his effing right wing thugs were violently throwing out people speaking out against him, did you come to their defense regarding their right to speak?

Escorting them out the door sans the violence would NOT be a violation of free speech.

I know this is way too complex an issue for right wingers to grasp.

• Jeremy Stanhope

Protesting is free speech, but when the ‘protest’ crosses the line of interfering with someone else’s right to free speech it becomes fascism. They are no better than Brown Shirts.

In any case, this wasn’t a protest, it was a violent riot; another notable characteristic of fascism.

And yes, “escorting them out the door” is most definitely is a violation of free speech. How you could call it anything else is baffling. Perhaps you should sit in on a class by John Yoo or Ken Bamberger.

• lspanker

Chicken Boy here is clearly several steps beyond being your garden-variety idiot troll. He’s clearly a narcissistic sociopathic and suffers from impotent rage issues. Let us all pray that he winds up on the receiving end of the same type of violence he wishes upon others who dare express views for which he disagrees.

• lspanker

When Trump and his effing right wing thugs were violently throwing out people speaking out against him

You are clearly confused by the difference of throwing someone out of your forum, and shutting down someone else’s forum. All your lies, insults, and contortions will do nothing to convince the majority of us that you are anything other than an immature, violent, ignorant and mentally ill human being who uses his perverted “reasoning” skills to justify sociopathic behavior.

• NoeValleyJim

You Trump lovers aren’t in the majority. I know you think you are, but you aren’t even close. Already 40% of the country thinks he should be impeached.

“New poll numbers suggest Donald Trump will take office with historically low approval ratings. “

• VladiRad

Protesters are so essential to Milo’s brand that he would hire them himself if he didn’t get any. Stop making fools of yourselves.

• lovestohike

sorry wrong and fake news

• VladiRad

lol wut

• Psychedelic Chicken

Looks like he did. Breitbart Black Bloc strikes again!!!

• VladiRad

Why are college students encouraged to do objectively bad and counterproductive activism nowadays? They’re not kindergartners, their actions have ramifications for the left.

• NoeValleyJim

Hand wringing moderates hated the anti-war movement in the late 60’s and the Civil Right’s movement in the early 60’s too. But they were both eventually successful.

• VladiRad

The anti-war movement wasn’t successful. As for civil rights, they were peaceful, had charismatic leaders, no burning down buildings and rioting, and were on TV getting sprayed with firehouses. These antifas are objectively counterproductive.

• b4benjamin

Yes, we can fully expect the Berkeley leftists to do what leftists do all over the country, shut down free speech. Professors regularly indoctrinate their students there as they do at UC Davis and campuses around the country. They tell their students “denying someone’s ability to speak who disagrees with you is your act of freedom of speech”. Franklin and Jefferson, who believed that the way you preserve your own freedom of speech was by defending the free speech of those with whom you most vehemently disagree, are turning over in their graves.

It is this preposterous thinking and activity that has made Milo so popular. Interesting enough, the free speech movement of yesteryear was born at UC Berkeley with the far leftist Mario Savio. Today, the person who is championing a fresh new free speech movement across the country is Milo Yiannopoulos.
    What he has figured out is that the more he is protested, the more popular he becomes. If no one showed up to protest, no one would even know his name. But he says it best “they know they are bringing me fame and fortune and yet they just can’t stop themselves!”

Yeah, bring it on UC Berkeley. You’re turning him into a superstar!

• James

Not a super star: a super villain. He isn’t getting positive “fame and fortune” — he will crash and burn with the rest of this morally bankrupt alt-right movement, and go down in history as one of the super stars of a reprehensible crypto-fascist movement.

• roccolore

You fascist Democrats have no morals.

• Joseph Powell

Spoken like your typical amoral liberal.

• NoeValleyJim

No Milo is not a champion of Free Speech. He actually organizes group harassment, intimidation and death threats against people who disagree with him. He uses violence and intimidation to silence his political opponents. He was even banned from Twitter.

He has argued that his political opponents should be put in internment camps and that women should not be allowed to use the Internet.

Don’t make him something he is not. He is no fan of Free Speech.

• Michael Cavallaro

The left is now officially dead. SJWs and Neoliberals killed it. RIP.

• Khalisnky

So what are we regular liberals supposed to call ourselves now? “Moderates”?

• Emma

I suggested below your best tactic if you’re this angry is to ignore him. Protesting and trying to shut him down just feeds in to his narrative. He thrives off of this controversy, and you’re giving him more of it and bringing him more attention, which he wants. And you’re helping him prove himself right to his audience. Surely that’s not what you want, so I suggested shunning him instead.

But there is another option. Dare I suggest, you could actually…attend? As a guest, not a protester, and even….hear him out? That’s what I did. I didn’t attend in person, as he hasn’t come to my, area but I’ve watched some of his speeches on YouTube. I don’t get outraged so easily, so it wasn’t difficult for me, but for those who find it difficult, you could consider it a lesson in challenging yourselves – hearing out the opposition, and trying to understand the other side. And that way, if you so choose, you would be able to respond in a meaningful way, using reason and logic to rebut the arguments that you oppose. You’d also be able to see for yourself and gain a better understanding of why protesting is so counterproductive when it comes to someone like Milo.

• Emma

Or. Students who do not wish to hear him speak could simply not attend, and allow their fellow students who would like to listen to go ahead and do so.

• Emma

BTW, Milo has a book coming out. It is apparently about political correctness and censorship and the right to free speech. By protesting him, and even writing an article about him to suggest protesting him, you’re giving him the attention he craves, and feeding right in to his narrative. He loves being this controversial figure, that is how he’s gained his “fame”. Many of you don’t seem to see that he is purposely trying to create more controversy and agitate you, and you’re letting him. You’re even helping him. Don’t let the joke be on you.

• justiceplease

You make a good point, but a protest has to happen so Yiannopoulos can’t claim “silent majority” since no one protested him.
        The Chancellor is the one who screwed up here. Yiannopoulos wouldn’t get the chance to use the protesters if he had simply cancelled the event. It’s the Chancellor who is giving this circus clown a stage to begin with.
        But don’t assume things will go down the way Yiannopoulos wants every time he stirs the hornets nest. Selma worked out real well for the goals of the KKK, didn’t it?

• Alex S.

“Selma worked out real well for the goals of the KKK, didn’t it?”

If you want to make a Selma analogy, the people trying to shut down the event are the ones in the role of the Klan here.

• justiceplease

How so? I see a large group of people crossing a bridge (let’s equate that to Sproul Plaza) to protest racism. The speaker is the embodiment of White Privilege, threatening decades of civil rights gains.

• Alex S.

What I see is a large group of people crossing a bridge (sure, let’s call it Sproul Plaza) to peacefully attend a talk. And a bunch of goons harassing them, trying to prevent them from attending (or, in the words of the goons, “shut it down”) because they disagree with the event’s ideas and are unwilling or unable to counter them with rational debate.

I have no doubts that a few of the goons will threaten and assault some of the would-be attendees, as the goons did in Selma; and I hope that the attendees will stick together, watch out for each other, and not go out of their way to provoke or instigate but protect each other from attacks … by any means necessary, to borrow a phrase.

Don’t give me that “protest racism” or “white privilege” nonsense to try and make the thuggery into something noble. It’s not. Yiannopoulos may be obnoxious, but his critics can’t identify a single racist thing he’s said or done. They are unable to debate his ideas (see the numerous videos on Youtube of him engaging and challenging critics), so they throw labels at him to short-circuit debate.

• justiceplease

While we’re talking about racism, you might want to look up the origin of the term “goons”.Look up “thugs” while you’re at it. White Privilege is so endemic that people aren’t even aware they are projecting it.

People in Selma walked across the bridge:the police stopped them with violence. So again, you might want to read up on your history.

Demanding that an event that promotes domestic terrorism be shut down is not violence. It’s not even censorship. It’s simply self-defense.

Also, someone who just keeps blabbing away, saying anything to get his way, is not winning a debate: that’s just being a sociopath. There’s no way to have a debate with him because he isn’t even referencing the same world as his interlocutors. He just says whatever he wants, true or not. Crowds of hundreds of people are showing up to tell Yiannopoulos that he’s wrong. He hasn’t won any debate. He’s just figured out how to get paid for saying outrageous stuff: much like a professional clown. As I said before, the Berkeley campus Republicans are who will lose the most from this, because they’ve now affiliated themselves with a clown.

• roccolore

You Democrats are the racists, goons, and thugs.

• justiceplease

lol.

• Scap

Not sure how this is self-defense on acting like morons because a guy is speaking who some students disagree with. This is a school who wants to segregate black students again, hates Israel, and no longer believes in free speech.

• justiceplease

Keep trying. Yiannopoulos doesn’t have quite enough materials for his book yet, and he needs his stooge followers to come up with more stories about the horroble Left tnwarting their Will to Power.

• roccolore

Democrats support racism.

• Jeremy Stanhope

The speaker is a member of an oppressed minority and an immigrant. Aren’t those worth double bonus points in the world of civil rights?

• justiceplease

Not if he’s spewing alt-right memes and supporting fascist dictatorship.

• Jeremy Stanhope

If you’d like to see fascism, check that mirror in the morning.

My guess is you favored the dictatorship that just left office.

• justiceplease

You might want to compare Obama’s Executive Orders in his first week of office to Trump’s. And then there’s that whole “draining the swamp” thing…

• roccolore

Fascist Democrats do not protest. They riot.

• Jeremy Stanhope

So you are in favor of suppressing free speech is what I am hearing. You think the school administration should decide who campus groups can invite as speakers. It is fine when you are in agreement with what the school decides, but suddenly when it is your speaker the school is banning you want others to support your right to free speech. If you are not willing to defend others right to free speech don’t be surprised when yours is gone as well.

• justiceplease

You need to check on your hearing.

Yes, I do think schools have the right to invite whoever they want. Otherwise, I could just whine about “free speech” and insist all American universities sponsor my speaking tour. Woot – I want to talk about emojis as art~

• Jeremy Stanhope

My hearing is 100%. But it seems you have a lack of understanding here. The speaker was invited by a campus group. The speaker didn’t insist the university host him. A public university has no right to tell campus groups who they can and cannot invite as speakers. Especially not at Berkeley where students fought to allow ANYONE on campus for the purpose of political speech, not just those favored by the administration.

• justiceplease

I’ll stipulate the campus Republicans invited him: and in doing so, they threw away any chance they had of posing as the “reasonable middle”. Do they really want the campus Republican party to be affiliated with neo-nazi racists and misogynists? Standing up for “free speech” is a weak cover for the real issue here.

Yiannopoulos is not just committing an act of “political speech”: he is bullying others to block their speech. Being a bully won’t get you arrested unless a crime occurs, though. But wait – a number of crimes have occurred as a result of Yiannopoulos’s encouragement. I guess you call rape threats and death threats, along with address information of the hoped-for target, mere “thought crimes” until the murder or rape actually occur? Yiannopoulos is an accessory, an accomplice, and a co-conspirator in these crimes. And he’s getting away with it under the COVER of “free speech”!

• lspanker

Yiannopoulos is not just committing an act of “political speech”: he is bullying others to block their speech.

From what alternate reality are you posting again?

• NoeValleyJim

You must not be familiar with Gamergate. Milo organized harassment and attacked so many feminists that many of them stopped posting in fear of their lives. He was eventually banned from Twitter for his harassment.

• Hayden Drury

UC Berkeley students and staff are playing right into Milo’s hands by trying to suppress free speech. He benefits from this attempted ban, his followers are more galvanized and he is elevated to hero status because of this stupidity. If you want examples of hate speech, reference the Women’s March speeches from last week. Hillary lost, Trump is POTUS, so next time run a candidate that’s not corrupt and maybe you’ll have a victory. Until then, you will continue to lose.

• Khalisnky

Goldstein! GOLDSTEIN!!!

• William Television

If you strip away much of the sensationalism and taunting / bully-like antics of Milo (which contributes to his bank account), what’s left are rational arguments that (if one pays attention) reveal themselves to be liberating and promote true left-leaning-liberal ideals. I say this: The Alt-Right’s golden boy has more in sync (ideologically) with liberal values than mainstream right wing republicans.

I am a liberal and finally opened up my ears to this “noise” from Milo, and it turns out… we need to listen.

• Matthew D Cleaveland Jr.

Heh. The special little snowflakes can’t handle an opposing view point, nor can they defend their own. And people wonder why Trump won.

• jim hoch

Since the hosts had to pay for security it’s fair that the protestors pick up part of the cost if they want to play as well. $10 seems reasonable to take part in this bit of political theater while a observing ticket should be maybe a fiver.

• You do realize by protesting and trying to shut him down, you’re only proving his point that the illiberal left can’t handle opposing views? If you wan’t to really bring him down, you have to debate him. But since people like you can’t handle Milo, he keeps on winning.

• Emma

Sadly, they don’t realize it.

• Alex

“The Berkeley Against Trump coalition calls on all solidarity-minded members of the campus to fight for this true legacy of FSM.”

LOL as if you are the one to dictate to us what the “true legacy of the FSM” is. Guess what: the FSM would have protested against cucks like you if they were still on campus.

You and your coalition are the true enemies of free speech.

• Phil J Malloy

the first problem is this article is full of pathetic lies

milo is not a racist

he is not a homophobe

he is not a bigot (but YOU are)

if you do not like what a speaker has to say, you dont have to go

but stop trying to shut down speech you disagree with its getting tiring and if you want to attack us, we will attack back, we will not be pushed around by bigots like you who keep trying to shut down free speech simply because you disagree with the message being spread

• Spikier Than Thou

Why do you bother lying about the content of the article you JUST READ? The article didn’t call milo a homophobe, and all anyone has to do to confirm it is scroll up to the top. Are you being paid per copypaste or something?

• roccolore

Democrats claim to be champions of gays. THen they meet Milo.

• Psychedelic Chicken

You are college educated I presume. Skip your formal logic classes?

• Spikier Than Thou

Nice job of ignoring the argument. You win negative four points.

Despite alt-right myths, being a member of a ‘protected class’ doesn’t mean you will be taken seriously when you tell everyone the Earth is flat.

You know as well as I do that the article never called Milo homophobic.

• lspanker

You ignore the argument. There’s no excuse to engage in violence just because your snowflake ears are offended by someone ridiculing you.

• Spikier Than Thou

I’m not going to go out of my way to address the superficially legitimate part of an argument that’s obviously being delivered in bad faith, sorry. I’ll save the high-quality arguments for Milo fans who at least appear to be sincere.

• Jeremy Stanhope

So “vile bigotry”, “vile racism and misogyny” and “hateful bile” weren’t enough? These seem like pretty harsh words against an immigrant. I thought we were supposed to be embracing immigrants these days?

• Spikier Than Thou

Refugees get slack because they’re caught between Assad and the alt-right, so we allow them to be jerks as long as they’re LESS evil than the alt-right. Last I looked, the UK was not currently in a civil war between a totalitarian who uses chemical weapons and an alt-right government. Therefore, Milo cannot play the Refugee Card without risking being countered by a Public Mockery card.

• Tsathogua

“…a totalitarian who uses chemical weapons…”

Now where have I heard that before? Did he, perchance, use those weapons ‘against his own people’ like the evil Sadaam?

• Spikier Than Thou

Yes, actually.

However, unlike Saddam, we have reasonably good evidence that Assad was using chemical weapons against his own people recently. In Saddam’s case all our evidence told us reliably is that he used the stuff back when he was our ally in the 1980s.

• Tsathogua

Q: Name four world leaders who ceased trading oil using the petrodollar?
            A: 1)Hussein, 2) Qaddafi, 3) Assad, 4) Ahmadinejad.

Q: Name four recent world leaders whom the US has removed or is attempting to remove?

• Spikier Than Thou

Minor problem: Iran appears to have dumped the petrodollar in 2016. We’ve been saber-rattling and intermittently poking at the Iranian government since approximately 1979, including a rather lengthy war in the 1980s during which we were backing Saddam Hussein. (… which, IIRC, is also the reason our tests showed that the anthrax that alt-righty was sending to Congress looked like it could have been Iraqi: because Iraq had OUR anthrax strain.)

If we’ve been trying to topple Iran for thirty years, I seriously doubt that them dumping the petrodollar is the primary motive for any aggression there now.

• Tsathogua

Toppled Iran…past tense. The issues we’ve had since 79 are because Iran threw out the government we installed in the 50s when we removed Mosaddegh for trying to nationalize the Iranian petroleum industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Mosaddegh

• Jeremy Stanhope

Maybe you don’t understand the difference between “refugee” and “immigrant”? Or irony.

• Spikier Than Thou

Or maybe I figured that cheap irony merited irony of equal quality.

• Phil J Malloy

yeah it really did, we reading the same article?

• roccolore

Fascist Democrats hate free speech.

• needstimulus

The word “facist” is redundant.

• EliHobbes

Don’t know who Milo is? Here is a taste: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgJoAjK-nc

• muralidhar nidamarthy

I’m sorry on behalf of all indians, that the scumbag who wrote this article is of Indian origin. Most Indians support free speech, with no ifs n buts. Don’t judge us through the prism of sjw scum like this author and the full mental “humungus” fame, zarna joshi.

• lspanker

Right-wingers have derided oppressed students standing up against bigotry as “special snowflakes.”

You crybaby lefties are far more bigoted than any “right-winger”, who unlike you aren’t trying to take the free speech rights of others. And, FWIW the appellation of “snowflake” is quite apropo, given that your type has a total meltdown any time you can’t control what others say and do…

• Psychedelic Chicken

Oh yes thou Trumpist! Right wingers are just famous for welcoming diversity!

When they aren’t dawning their pointy hats, they are keeping their baby makers in line!

• lspanker

Nothing like making up crap when you have nothing of substance to offer to the discussion. BTW, did you have a nice riot last night? I don’t think the people smashing windows and screaming about Zionists were Trump supporters…

• Spikier Than Thou

If you go to 8chan /pol/, you’ll find an AWFUL LOT of virulently anti-Semitic Trump supporters. While I’m disinclined to believe that MOST of the antifa breaking stuff were Trumpists in disguise, I would not be that surprised to find ones whining about Zionism to be Trumpists in disguise.

• dedgod

The most important part of free speech, is the acceptance of hate speech, and speech that you don’t agree with. So it’s really hilarious, that you decry Donald Trump, and yet follow precisely his (supposed) tactics to drown out any opposition.

Self awareness is a beautiful thing.

• roccolore

Liberals have no problem inviting terror apologists to campus or having pro-Islamist/anti-Jewish groups.

• BigFatButtFacedBabyEatinObrian

so what about the students who want to hear him speak. I do not agree with anything he says but I want to hear him speak…..jesus you combat dangerous ideas with better ideas and by demolishing them in debate. it works,….this method is tried and true in america. what doesnt work is censoring campuses and policing which ideas get to be expressed. there is a reason we let neo nazis have speech rights and parades and all that crap….because free expression is a VALUE and a PRINCIPLE that you cannot violate unless youre ok with your actions being turned right back around on you and people shutting down speakers with good ideas like Coates or even the former president. And no it doesnt just mean that we are free from government oppression of speech that is an infantile understanding of a value, we have to enshrine and protect free expression in our cultural institutions and in our cultural interactions.

• Soo Sheezy

lol people are just protesting calm down

• FreedomFirst

Right!? The fascist left wing antifa violence, attacks on free speech, and monkey brained intimidation that have occurred at almost every MILO appearance is just ‘protesting’. That said, I do hope the Berkley SJW boys and girls put on an awesome show because every time the left ‘protests’ MILO laughs all the way to the bank.

• NoeValleyJim

Want me to call you a waaahmbulance?

• FreedomFirst

No. Just keep egging your antifas on at every MILO event.

• Darknut

Looks like the #BreitbartBrownShirts have you “outraged at the left” exactly like they wanted.

• FreedomFirst

Not. I’ve been outraged at your favorite fascists long before Breitbart came along.

• Darknut

Milo IS my favorite fascist. Now he gets to play the freeze peach victim card because #BreitbartBrownshirts gave him something to whine about.

Fascists ALWAYS go after academia first. No surprise there. Well not to people who know any history .

I bet he didn’t even have a speech.

• FreedomFirst

Milo isn’t a fascist except in the evil imaginations of ironically fascist antifas. He doesn’t need a speech because today’s academe is so intellectually bankrupt. All he said at UMASS was ‘feminism is cancer. Thank you very much’ and sat back down. The crazy crowd proved the rest of his points for him. Gotta love lefties today.

• Paul Cavanaugh

Did you miss the part of the article praising UC Davis for shutting down a Milo event? Since when did liberals decide free speech shouldn’t be tolerated?

• Soo Sheezy

Why do you guys keep defending it as free speech? It’s not like the government is preventing him from speaking. If UCD doesn’t want him to speak at their campus, they are well within their rights to bar him from speaking. That’s not the Federal government censoring him, it’s a single academic institution deciding not to give him the space to speak. It is not persecution or legal action taken against him, it’s them closing their doors against his rhetoric.

Similarly, if people don’t like what he has to say, they are well within their rights to protest or otherwise show disapproval or disagreement with his message. That’s not limiting free speech, that’s just disagreeing. Or, in this case, lighting things on fire and causing property damage. Not an ideal way of expressing dissent, obviously, but not the same thing as limiting free speech.

• sven holmes

>assaulting people with hats for having the wrong political opinion isn’t limiting free speech

wow

• lspanker

Same thoughts here. The fact that these brainwashed little twits were able to make it on a college campus is a compelling argument for re-evaluating admissions standards .

• PetePatriot

Their standard is to accept leftists.

• BC

the wrong political opinion?? What makes the opinion “wrong’ there are no right or wrong political opinions just differing opinions

• sven holmes

>muh cultural relativism

neck yourself

• Spikier Than Thou

What’s your opinion on Milo’s fans threatening to kill game developers?

• sven holmes

>making threats
            >actually beating up innocent people

nice false equivalency you have there

• Spikier Than Thou

Nice dodge there, the point went a whole five meters over your head.

Is threatening to kill people for opinions one dislikes an attempt to limit free speech? Yes or no?

• Darknut

It’s because Muh freeze peach! Just like him harassing a trans woman at his previous “lecture.”

• Darknut

Who assaulted Milo?

• Jeremy Stanhope

You really do not understand free speech jurisprudence. A government run school banning a speaker is a gross violation of the 1st Amendment. It is nice to see the left discovering federalism though…..

If protestors prevent someone from speaking, that is also a violation of free speech rights and the road to fascism.

• Damiana

They didn’t ban him.

• Jeremy Stanhope

A difference without a distinction. His speech was cancelled because the university failed to act. A cynical person might think they allowed the situation to go where it went so they could “ban” the speech while appearing not to.

• Damiana

It’s a difference with an important distinction: the cops cancelled it.

• BC

What’s interesting is that by their actions of burning down and destroying private and even public property they are actually pushing for the exact narrative they claim to be against. As it will take a more policed state to quell the violence and bring order to the chaos they themselves are creating. But that seems to escape them.

• UponFurtherReview

I’m waiting for them to throw a book burning party. I’m sure that irony would escape them also.

• NoeValleyJim

Milo had the right to attempt to speech, the government cannot pre-emptively stop someone from speaking, unless the person has stated that they were going to say something unlawful.

But no one has the right to be heard. If some idiot with a bullhorn starts chanting in front of my house, I can take it away from him and break it. Of course he can stop me if he likes, but in any case this is an affair between private actors.

Milo is a fascist. He hates gays, blacks, women and Muslims. His ideas do not belong in the public discourse. Tolerating him leads to more violence against all those groups. The protesters did the right thing in chasing him off with his tail between his legs. He can make a YouTube video for his followers to watch.

• UponFurtherReview

You’re just parroting the talking points. Show me any example of Milo making a statement that insults blacks or supports the white supremacist movement.

I won’t hold my breath waiting for it.

• NoeValleyJim

He also got banned from Twitter for making racist comments. Google for it, the Daily Cal won’t let me link to the stories.

• UponFurtherReview

Milo got banned for offending Leslie Jones, but his tweets weren’t racist.

Critical of her acting? Yes. Politically incorrect? Yes. But not racist.

For instance, he called the new Ghostbusters cast “fat and ugly” and said Jones looked like a “black dude.” And he taunted her with “If at first you can’t succeed (because your work is terrible), play the victim. EVERYONE GETS HATE MAIL.”

But Jones has tweeted some pretty insensitive comments of her own, such as “ok you white girls are starting to look alike” and “white people smh,” so I can’t get too worked up about her precious feelings. If she can’t take criticism about her acting, and even her looks, she should either delete her Twitter account or take a new job that doesn’t involve public scrutiny.

• NoeValleyJim

You don’t know what he said actually, since Twitter deleted his comments. Leslie Jones said his comments were racist and Twitter agreed. Jack Dorsey agreed. I know Jack, I used to work for him, he is a good guy, he would not ban someone without good cause.

• UponFurtherReview

I’ve seen stories that quoted some of Milo’s exchange with Leslie, so I’m not sure that’s true. I’ve also read that Milo was accused of “encouraging” racist tweets but was not responsible for any himself. I tend to discount this sort of blame, because individuals are responsible for their own actions.

At any rate, it’s up to the person accusing him of racism to back it up with examples. No examples, no credibility.

• NoeValleyJim

“The alt-right’s intellectuals would also argue that culture is
            inseparable from race. The alt-right believe that some degree of
            separation between peoples is necessary for a culture to be preserved. A
            Mosque next to an English street full of houses bearing the flag of St.
            George, according to alt-righters, is neither an English street nor a
            Muslim street — separation is necessary for distinctiveness.”

An Alt-Right manifesto, penned by Milo.

• UponFurtherReview

1. What does that have to do with Milo’s exchange with Leslie Jones?

2. Muslims aren’t a race, so what’s the connection to racism?

• NoeValleyJim

“I’ve worked out why there are so many Black girls here…cause I
            f****d their brothers” and “I give it 20 minutes; the statistics of
            Black incarceration are about to go up.”

He lied and claimed that Shaun King, a BLM leader, was white.

He has attacked the Black Lives Matter movement a number of times.

There, you can breath now.

• UponFurtherReview

Oh please, neither of those quotes was serious. If you dig a little bit into the context, you’ll learn that Milo was sarcastically responding to a group of activists who stormed the stage during one of his talks and said they represented Black Lives Matter.
            http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/05/24/milo-yiannopoulos-protesters-storm-stage-depaul-university/

The point of the first remark, which he’s repeated in various forms before and since, was that it’s ridiculous to accuse him of being a racist when he’s taken black men into his bed.

As for Shaun King, it isn’t just Milo who’s called him white. None other than the “ultra-conservative” Daily Beast reported the following:
            “Kentucky public records reviewed by The Daily Beast show the father listed on his birth certificate is white. Jeffery Wayne King, born Nov. 11, 1955, is listed as Shaun King’s father on his birth certificate; criminal records identify Jeffery King’s ethnicity as white.
            http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2015/08/19/shaun-king-s-parents-are-not-black.html

Finally, what’s the big deal about criticizing the Black Lives Matter movement? I can find plenty to criticize BLM for, including anti-police chants like “Pigs in a blanket, fry ’em like bacon.”

• Betty Tucker

And what would you say if they burnt your house and car up , you idiot?

• Betty Tucker

Oh yes, and assaulted you. I bet you would change your tune then. Go ahead. Support the terrorist

• Ray Man

“Or, in this case, lighting things on fire and causing property damage. Not an ideal way of expressing dissent, obviously, but not the same thing as limiting free speech.”

Actually, Soo Sheezy. What transpired last night in Berkeley was not a protest. It was a riot with a little dash of terrorism mixed in.

• Praelium

“They are well within their rights to bar him from speaking.” Wow.

• Darknut

Wow yes they are. Free speech doesn’t mean everybody has to provide you a platform. The right to bear arms doesn’t mean people have to give you a gun.

• Tony Astorga

The only problem with your “If UCD doesn’t want him to speak at their campus…” statement is the fact that there were students that had wanted him to speak, and that had invited him as a guest on campus. Since when has majority tyranny over the minority group been acceptable? I thought that was the antithesis of the ideals espoused by liberal groups.

• Tony Astorga

Excuse me, I should have said “one of the problems with”…

• Phil J Malloy

if they are getting federal funds the school cant stop an invited guest

• UponFurtherReview

1. “It’s not like the government is preventing him from speaking.”

So a public university that’s supported by federal funding has nothing whatsoever to do with government. Got it!

2. “If UCD doesn’t want him to speak at their campus, they are well within their rights to bar him from speaking.”

But that’s just it: UCD didn’t bar him from speaking — on the contrary, they invited him to speak. Problem was, they also did next to nothing to maintain order and defend the rights of those who wanted to attend the event. Is there no security on University of California campuses?

• Darknut

They’re not the National Guard they did what they could.

• UponFurtherReview

Yeah, sure they did. Here’s what really happened, as reported by a CBS News affiliate:
            http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/02/02/police-tactics-during-violent-uc-berkeley-protest-questioned/
            “Police gathered on the balcony demanding that the crowd disperse, but made no moves against the protesters.”

And why did they do nothing besides stand on the balcony and shout? As UC Berkeley spokesperson Dan Mogulof explained: “Police tactics are driven on a campus by need, the non-negotiable need to protect our students and ensure their well being.”

In other words, the university was more interested in protecting protesters than ending the assault on speech attendees. That’s why the six-figure damage to the university and community was poetic justice — because authorities could have stopped the mayhem, but chose not to take action against their ideological comrades.

• PetePatriot

You would be right if UC were a private institution, but it isn’t.

• PetePatriot

Back in the ’60s, Brandeis professor and communist, Herbert Marcuse, defined “liberating tolerance” as tolerance of movements on the left and intolerance of movements on the right. There’s their double standard right there. That is why they think that they are exercising free speech when they stop people they disagree with from speaking.

As Jonah Goldberg put it, “If you think free speech is assault but assault is free speech, you’re a moron of world-historical proportions.”

• Darknut

Nobody stopped Milo from speaking. They just stopped him from using THAT platform. Just like if you don’t let me put my PetPatriotIsAPooHead sign on your fridge at home even though it is a great crayon drawing of how I picture you with the word “poohead” on it, you’re not violating my “free speech.” You’re just telling me to take it somewhere else.

Milo got an interview on FOX NEWS on NATIONAL TV THE NEXT DAY. (almost like it was pre-scheduled) to talk about how stifled his “freeze peach” is. with no sense of irony what so ever. His freeze peach is just fine.

• PetePatriot

Except that as a public institution, not allowing Milo to speak at Berkeley is an infringement of his first amendment rights. A public institution is not the same as a private home, or a private college.

Furthermore, using violence to prevent him from speaking is fascistic: the thing that you moonbats say you are against.

Then there is the fact that these far-left thugs used violence and vandalized the Martin Luther King, Jr Student Union while beating up bystanders if you want to talk about irony.

I am afraid you are hopelessly brainwashed. Maybe you can use your Obamacare to get help.

• roccolore

They do not protest, they riot.

• sven holmes

lmao yeah, multiple people in the hospital and burnt down trees broken windows…

just protesting……you are a disgrace

• Feet2Fire

People injured, property damaged. Multiple banks and business trashed. And these are supposed to be college students?

• Darknut

Masked white guys at an otherwise peaceful protest? #BreitbartBrownShirts. Pretty obvious not the students. This was a planned “riot” by people who are experts at manipulating the news cycle.

• Feet2Fire

Gimme a break. Surely you jest. You apparently didn’t get the sarcasm behind my question. THESE are supposed to be COLLEGE STUDENTS? They’re acting more like crazy, run-amok preadolescents.

• Darknut

Did you get the PEOPLE IN MASKS part? Did you WATCH the videos? How in God’s green Earth could you POSSIBLY KNOW ANYTHING about them? You’re making a lot of assumptions about people with hidden faces how do you KNOW the COLLEGE STUDENTS?

The only thing we KNOW about them is they showed up at a peaceful protest and gave GREAT PR for Milo/ Bannon / Trump, and you’re outraged in exactly the way they WANT you to be.

• Feet2Fire

Baloney. Some people are SO EASILY MANIPULATED by the Leftist Agenda/brainwashing that they have zero common sense or grasp of reality. These naive people are all mixed in with anarchists and ****-disturbers and, yes, students in “protests” (a/k/a riots).

If you still don’t know about ANTIFA/black bloc and GEORGE SOROS, and their anti-American, anti-Trump, Globalist/anarchy agenda, you really should stop wasting your energy posting messages in blogs and instead go EDUCATE YOURSELF.

Am not interested in wasting more time/energy on trying to communicate with uninformed “minds.” Have a nice day!

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/viewsubcategory.asp?id=1237

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_bloc

https://twitter.com/hashtag/ANTIFA?src=hash

• Darknut

*blindly repeats RW buzz phrases verbatim like trained animal.
            *Accuses others of being “manipulated”
            *Backs it up with wiki link.

Lolz

• Feet2Fire

“LOLZ.” <—Hangs out too much on the internet and fails to realize he's a Left-wing trained seal.
            (Probably deals in "Net-memes," too, and thinks it's "cool.")

HAH!!

• Antoinette Eisenhower Gentile

Lets not forget about The Rockerfellers. They control the world.

• PetePatriot

If the Berkeley administration had wanted to know who they were, they would have had them arrested instead of letting them run amok.

• Darknut

I know gimme a break. So sick of #Brietbartbrownshirts messing up otherwise peaceful protests.

• Feet2Fire

Would say “Wake Up,” but you are obviously a hopeless case of sleepwalking…
            ‘Nuff said!
            –End of “discussion.”

• Phil J Malloy

how many times will you copy and paste that lie????

• Darknut

How many times will you deny the facts?

• Jaimee Mullins

How’s that “people are just protesting , calm down” working out?

• Soo Sheezy

Just fine. Milo got away unhurt, unscathed, and uncontested by the government. A couple of things got damaged and some people were hurt, but no one died and everyone’s rights are where they belong, so yeah, I mean, I imagine things could’ve been worse.

• sven holmes

You must be trolling if you think 2 hours of anarchy destroying businesses, windows, assaulting men and women, and the UC campus is ‘no big deal’. I mean how dense can you be?

• sven holmes

https://youtu.be/9BZvhYkB4xo?t=28

“it could have been worse”

• sven holmes

https://mobile.twitter.com/janeygak/status/826998516144697344

“everyone’s rights are where they belong”

• sven holmes
          • Feet2Fire
          • Soo Sheezy

Probably a bit more callous than dense, and a little more preoccupied with other things happening in the news. Y’all acting like these were the LA race riots. Yes, there was damage. Yes, people were hurt and yes, it’s unfortunate, but it’s nowhere near the end of the world and it certainly isn’t going to be the end of Cal.

• sven holmes
          • sven holmes

You’re right it isn’t the end of the world. It’s the end of the left. In their inability to address any arguments and resorting to mass tantrums and physical violence.

Gentle reminder…you lost the senate, the house, the supreme court, and the presidency to a reality tv star…with continued tantrums like this you will lose the midterms…you will catapult Milo to the forefront of national news and get him much more publicity.

Have a good year :^)

• Soo Sheezy

Hey man, as long as you recognize this isn’t the worst thing to happen, we’re all gucci. See you on the other side.

• lspanker

So answer this question for me, Soo. Did you f*ck or s*ck your way into being admitted into college? You certainly didn’t get there by way of your intellect.

• Betty Tucker

Ha, ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha. . Right on target!

• DarkStarCrashes

Dang spank, no mercy!

• NoeValleyJim

Hillary got more votes than Trump. House Democrats got more votes then House Republicans. And yet an unelected oligarchy seized power. You stole the Supreme Court.

Already the largest protests in US history occurred against the Trump Regime and he isn’t out of his first month in power.

It will be fun to watch you self-immolate. It won’t even take two years!

• PetePatriot

Want me to call you a waaahmbulance?

• sven holmes

lmao, a hillary supporter lecturing me on oligarchy

enjoy your mass tantrums

• Jeremy Stanhope

It is certainly the end of Cal as a bastion of free speech.

• Betty Tucker

Are you a paid Soros terrorist,? Maybe a huge earth quake

will hurry up and hit California and the worthless crackhead state will fall into the ocean with you in it.

• Feet2Fire

You’re awfully cavalier about OTHER PEOPLE BEING HURT. Maybe if your own head had been bashed in, you might not see it quite so nonchalantly.

• Betty Tucker

Yep, a big worthless crackhead Communist whining liberal troll!!

• Darknut

Masked white guys at an otherwise peaceful protest. #BreitbartBrownShirts. Pretty obvious not the students. This was a planned “riot” by people who are experts at manipulating the news cycle and you. It was a big deal and it wasn’t the students or anybody protesting milo

• sven holmes

its nice to see the left go full alex jones once in awhile, let me guess they were putin backed too?

• sven holmes

also its cute that someone who thinks “drumpf is literally hitler” is lecturing me on media manipulation, dumb goyim

• Jeremy Stanhope

“everyone’s rights are where they belong” ??? Really? The speaker didn’t get to speak and the people who invited him didn’t get to hear him; how is that not a violation of their 1st Amendment rights?

• lspanker

Who has the right to have their property vandalized because a bunch of thugs can’t handle opposing points of view? You’re the type of brain-dead idiot that any dictatorship would hold up as a model citizen.

• Darknut

Nobody. Those #BrietbartBrownShirts had no right to come wearing masks at an otherwise peaceful protest and cause trouble so Milo can play the “freeze peach victim” card and Trump can threaten the school.

• Betty Tucker

Your a typical Californian idiot

• NoeValleyJim

Argumentum ad hominem and misspelled to boot. You might want to look up the word “idiot” to see if you photo is there.

Are you a Trump voter perchance?

• Betty Tucker

Your such a typical, worthless, Communist, whining, entitlement liberal. Screw you

• NoeValleyJim

lol

• jnarcus

It is not a protest when violence is done. That is a riot

• Brooke

Just let California secede put up the wall treat california like the third world country it is rapidly becoming and withdraw all federal funding immediately. Then let them stew in their self made stew of political correctness and poverty

The days of lawlessness and disorder are over, hate groups such as black lives matter and other terrorist organizations are now going to be dealt with the full extent of the law and the illegal criminals have their days numbered. Honest hard working law abiding people will be fine

Americans have spoken! We want our jobs and country back! Our healthcare is too expensive. Mine is $600/month now (AND RISING!). My car insurance is still $25 per month (from Insurance Panda), but who knows when our increasingly socialist government will come in and muddle that up? Things are getting more and more expensive as it is. Can we really afford to support the world’s homeless?

The rule of law is on its way back. Crooked politicians illegals government cronies. IRS fast an furious cash going to Iran etc etc pack up get out now free play time is over. People have spoken!

• Psychedelic Chicken

You Trump right wingers are scary, and just crushingly ignorant.

• lspanker

The Trump right wingers aren’t the ones who have been out rioting and breaking things because they can’t handle free speech and opposing points of view as mature grownups.

• NoeValleyJim

Idiot Trump supporters have been attacking Muslims, Blacks, Gays, Jews and Mexicans every since he got elected. You must not read the newspaper much.

• jnarcus

Oh you mean all those so called ‘hate crimes’ that when investigated were either lies or done by the very people claiming they were wronged. You don’t read the papers much

• NoeValleyJim

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/14/hate-crimes-against-muslims-up-67-percent-in-2015-fbi-says.html

“Hate crimes against Muslims up 67 percent in 2015, FBI says”

Who do I believe, the FBI and Fox News or some anonymous rando on Disqus… hmmm….

• UponFurtherReview

What you should have done is research the statistics more thoroughly. Sure the number of hate crimes against Muslims rose 67 percent in 2015, but it was small to begin with (257 the previous year compared to 154 the year before). That’s why the percentage increase seems so dramatic without additional numbers.

During the same year, hate crimes against Jews rose only 9 percent, but they already represented 57 percent of all religious-inspired hate crimes — about 650.

Do you seriously expect us to believe that Trump, who is more pro-Israel than Obama ever was, inspired the increase in hate crimes against Jews, too? Moreover, it’s a stretch to blame Trump for the 2015 increase in hate crimes against Muslims, considering that he didn’t even announce he was running for president until June of that year.

Finally, the Fox News story you linked to also says this: “Any increases, including the ones seen in anti-Muslim crimes, could be due in part to more reporting by victims as well as better reporting and tracking by law enforcement agencies.”

• Antoinette Eisenhower Gentile

I dont believe that. I can tell you that from living in philly, that people would be viciously attacked by a gang for no reason and they be yelling in the name of Allah. A couple of months ago, a couple who stopped at Geno’s syeaks in South Philly wete attacked by the same people and they ended up in the hospital. Man and woman were beaten badly.

• NoeValleyJim

You don’t believe the FBI and instead trust an anecdotal report you read on the Internet. You must be a Trump voter.

• NoeValleyJim

I have the FBI, you have your feelings.

• PetePatriot

All those stories have been proven false. Get out of the echo chamber.

• NoeValleyJim

The FBI reports that hate crimes are up 68% against Muslims since Trump’s election. Who should I believe, the FBI or “PetePatriot”?

• PetePatriot

You have your stat wrong. The FBI said that the increase in anti-Muslim hate crimes increased from 2014 to 2015. There is no reported increase since Trump’s election though that is what you wish for.

In a country with over 310,000,000 people, hate crimes against Muslims went from 154 in 2014 to 267 in 2015. They went from infinitesimal to slightly more than infinitesimal. Considering that radical Islam is at war with us, this small number is a testament to the tolerance of the American people.

Trump didn’t even declare until halfway through 2015 and was largely a curiosity until he won the New Hampshire primary in 2016 so to attribute this rise to Trump is ludicrous.

There were a couple of highly publicized “hate crimes” that turned out to be hoaxes, much to the dismay of lefties like you. As usual, the retractions got much less ink than the original sensational headlines, but even the NYTimes ran a story about the hoax.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/14/nyregion/manhattan-yasmin-seweid-false-hate-crime.html?_r=0

I guess you should believe PetePatriot.

• NoeValleyJim

No actually they have not. You live in a reality distortion field. The FBI is on my side.

• NoeValleyJim
          • PetePatriot

I defended his right to speak without being subjected to violence, as I would defend yours whether you are a pedophile or not.

I haven’t been following the story, but here is what the NYTimes says: “Milo Yiannopoulos, a polemical Breitbart editor and unapologetic defender of the alt-right, tested the limits of how far his provocations could go after the publication of a video in which he condones sexual relations with boys as young as 13…”

Strictly speaking, a pedophile likes prepubescent children (11 or younger). If Milo likes teenage boys, that makes him a pederast, and he would fit right in with millions of gays in the Democrat Party. Just think, thanks to you, he could be a Boy Scout Leader, or even a member of Congress like Democrat Gerry Studds who got caught with a 17 year-old page, 29 years his junior, and never lost his seat.

• NoeValleyJim

https://www.merryjane.com/news/nazi-graffiti-and-racist-threats-on-the-rise-after-trump-election

Racist hate crimes, including violent attacks against Muslims are up 68% since Trump took office. Trump right wingers are violent punks who think this election by the narrowest of margins gives them the right to attack anyone who looks different.

• Antoinette Eisenhower Gentile

???????? Where are you getting your information at?? Thats definitely not the truth at all! Im a democrat and even i know thats not the truth. People got to stop making up stories and start telling the yruth and come to terms of what id really going on. I absolutely hate when people lie and anyone lies to me! Im no fool! I have years of street smarts! I know when people are trying to pull the wool over my eyes! The problem today is that people will take someones word on things and react. I have enough brains to check things out before reacting. Now you cant even trust the media! So i now do my own research. Be smart about things. Dont let the media and both sides of our government use you as their puppet to do their dirty work. Be smarter then that.

• NoeValleyJim

I get my facts from the FBI Universal Crime Report. Where do you get your information at?

• NoeValleyJim

The FBI violent crime report sweetie.

• Betty Tucker

Typical Californian

• Darknut

Yep. The 5th largest economy in the world we pay the bills for welfare queen red states.

• PetePatriot

33% of all welfare recipients live in California, which has 12% of the population.

• Darknut

“33% of all welfare recipients live in California” Bullshit. Citation please.
            The people in California pay more in federal tax than the state receives from the federal government. California is not even in the top ten list of ” taker” states.
            http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-w-chapman/top-10-states-rely-most-federal-aid

Pubs are really bad at math. As a percentage of their population California has more makers than takers. Red states are welfare queens.

• PetePatriot

Darknut wrote, “‘33% of all welfare recipients live in California’ Bullshit. Citation please.”

Guess your Google doesn’t work. You just decide that something is BS without bothering to check it out yourself. That just shows that you are a close-minded ideologue with no intellectual curiosity.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/politics/sdut-welfare-capital-of-the-us-2012jul28-htmlstory.html

https://bpr.berkeley.edu/2015/04/19/californias-welfare-benefits-boom-or-bust/

Darknut wrote, “Pubs are really bad at math. As a percentage of their population California has more makers than takers.”

Wow, more people are makers than takers in California. That’s not much of an accolade. That could mean that 50.1% are makers and 49.9% are takers. “Pubs are really bad at math,” is not supported by anything you have said. I can state from your comments that logic is not your forte.

Darknut wrote, “Red states are welfare queens.”

No doubt it feels good for you to write that, but it has nothing to do with reality. When federal dollars flow to a state, that doesn’t mean the dollars are for welfare, it could mean money for military installations, Social Security, or Medicare. It wasn’t easy to find that out either, because the origin of this study, WalletHub, was very vague about their methodology in their article. It was a WalletHub researcher who spilled the beans on C-Span. Of course, none of the lefty sites that ran with this “study” cared about anything but the headline.

I understand why too. Lefties are sensitive about their deserved reputation as the welfare party, so anything that could turn that around was eagerly devoured.

WalletHub is a site that puts out clickbait surveys like “2017’s Happiest Places to Live.” They can’t be relied on for any serious economic research. Lefties can’t be relied on for cogent remarks.

• UponFurtherReview

Even if that were true, how do we know that the majority of welfare recipients in these red states aren’t Democrats?

Just because a state goes Republican in a presidential election doesn’t mean that every person in that state voted GOP.

• Betty Tucker

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. Your state can’t even stay in the black concerning it’s own business. Your a typical worthless whining entitlement Communist liberal.

• NoeValleyJim

You probably can’t read this article with all the big words in it, but if you had someone read it for you, you would learn something:

http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/california-bested-texas

• jnarcus

I have yet to see your so called ” right wingers’ burn things, destroy property, beat up pdope, swear at everything and everyone, or do any of the nonsense that you so called social justice warriors do

• Darknut

Masked white guys at an otherwise peaceful protest? #BreitbartBrownShirts. Pretty obvious not the students. This was a planned “riot” by people who are experts at manipulating the news cycle and you.

• jnarcus

And masked ‘white guys’ have to be from the right???? You haven’t paid much attention to the rent a mobs in the Bay Area

• Spikier Than Thou

The rent-a-mob hypothesis is just as nonsensical as the ‘everything is false flags!’ hypothesis. The only person we’ve caught trying to pay leftists to commit violence is… Breitbart contributor James O’Keefe; the only person caught appearing to accept O’Keefe’s payment for rentamob services is a notorious troll (who has also been reported to have ties to white supremacist groups, though I haven’t dug enough to verify whether those ties are real or simply more smearing.)

• Spikier Than Thou

I’m more than a little skeptical of the ‘everything bad done in the name of my team is a false flag!’ approach – Occam’s Razor says that people are a lot more likely to risk arrest fighting for causes they BELIEVE in than fighting to incriminate their enemies, and awareness of human nature should be enough to tell you that lots of people DO consider violence an acceptable solution.

• SasquatchWhisperer

You leftists are hilarious, creating bogeymen at will to fuel your hate. It’s pretty entertaining. Hillary tried the angry white men schtick and you with the Breitbart trolling. It’s all rather hilarious to those of us with functioning synapses.

• UponFurtherReview

Sorry, even the national media isn’t buying your “false flag” whopper. USA Today and others have reported that the protesters come from the anti-Trump movement.
            http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/02/02/what-black-bloc/97393870/

So what have you got that ties them to the right wing, aside from your vivid imagination?

• Darknut

Oh suddenly the national media is the all knowing bastion of truth when they support your narrative? LOL

I never said “false flag.” now did I? That’s not the same thing. I don’t think these masked intruders were part of the demonstration or “liberal” in any way.

• UponFurtherReview

Well … what do you think a false flag operation is? Here, I’ll throw you a bone: “A false flag operation is an operation conducted by one party or government and made to appear as though it were sponsored by another party.”

So … when you say, “#BreitbartBrownShirts,” it indicates that you think it was right-wingers masquerading as a leftist (anarchist) mob. That’s a classic definition of false flag.

• Darknut

Fair enough. It’s funny that people are accusing me of wacky conspiracy theories… then saying Soros funded masked provocateurs.

They WERE literally “masquerading” and they did hijack an otherwise peaceful protest. so that’s not up for debate. The only question is who the masked interlopers represent. You’re saying they are “leftists masquerading” and I’m saying they’re alt-right masquerading. So neither of us enjoy a “non conspiracy theory” status here.

My logic is why would “the left” give Milo free publicity and support? Manipulating the media is Breitbart and the alt-right’s specialty. Sorry. Breitbartbrownshirts is a more logical explanation than Soros Brownshirts or some “leftist” spontaneous dudes showing up.

• UponFurtherReview

Actually, it’s consistent with leftist behavior on college campuses across the country. I don’t think they’re too worried about giving publicity to the target of their tantrums — it’s more about stifling free speech and, whenever possible, getting the chance to throw objects and break things.

Check out what happened at Middlebury College in Vermont:
            https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/03/middlebury-free-speech-violence/518667/

Then there was the attack on people leaving a Trump rally in San Jose, California:
            http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/violence-breaks-trump-rally-san-jose-protesters-hurl/story?id=39576437

You can Google several other examples of leftist protesters trying to shut down conservative speakers at college campuses, sometimes using violence.

• Kimberly Rego

patently absurd but nice job trying to redirect.

• NoeValleyJim

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha_race_riot_of_1919

You have never heard of the Ku Klux Klan?

• Spikier Than Thou

Alexandre Bissonnette? Tommy Mair? Anders Behring Breivik? Timothy McVeigh? Shawna Forde? Dylann Roof?

Don’t get me wrong, MOST right-wingers are well behaved. But then, if you’d been to the protest you would have seen that lefties who WEREN’T setting fires, breaking things, or hitting people vastly outnumbered the Black Bloc.

• jnarcus

Oh my Yes they were all out protesting and suddenly turned into radicalized killers. Unfortunately logic and consistency is not the strong suit on this board

• Spikier Than Thou

Forde definitely was involved in peaceful protest (one or another of the Minutemen groups); there are photos circulating which are alleged to depict Mair at a peaceful protest (I haven’t seen any strong confirmation of that, though. Note that UK libel laws may complicate coverage there.). Bissonette went to a Le Pen rally which was, as far as I know, peaceful. McVeigh peacefully protested the Waco siege. Breivik claimed to have attended an English Defense League demonstration (although that should be taken with a grain of salt, on account of his penchant for self-embiggenment). 45 seconds on Google tells me that Roof radicalized without the aid of in-person political activity.

So, yes, it’s silly to imply that they all turned into radicalized killers after joining rightist protests. Only somewhere between half and 5/6th of them did, depending on whether you count rallies and whether you believe Breivik. (There is probably more comprehensive information on Breivik if you can read Norwegian. I cannot.)

• UponFurtherReview

So why did neither the university nor the Berkeley police lift a finger to arrest the rioters, even when Milo speech attendees were getting pepper sprayed and otherwise assaulted? And before the thug brigade arrived, why was there no effort to defend the free speech rights of the people who wanted to see Milo?

The likely answer is that the authorities’ sympathies lay with the protesters. Does anyone seriously believe that the Berkeley police were outgunned and intimidated?

As for the university, congratulations on making a mockery of your Free Speech Movement history. What next — campus book burnings?

• Spikier Than Thou

Three of the four instances of violence I’ve heard described – a rightist getting beaten after pulling a knife in the middle of a crowd; a car driving through protesters; a group of rightists marching into a group of antifa and losing the ensuing fight – appear to have happened away from the venue sight. LE was deployed at the venue sight.

As to why the weak deployment – while your hypothesis that they did not devote a lot of energy to protecting the Milo speech implies unprofessionalism, I am in posession of weak circumstantial evidence that may support your hypothesis. (All public-domain, so I could share it if requested, though I suspect some people might prefer I refrain from publicizing it.)

• UponFurtherReview

It’s not my “hypothesis” that the university administration and the Berkeley police responded weakly to the riot — it’s what was reported by local news media that covered the event.

For instance, we learn from the CBS affiliate that “Police officers came prepared in riot gear.” But the story also says that “Police gathered on the balcony demanding that the crowd disperse, but made no moves against the protesters.”

And then there’s this: “The protest caused more than $100,000 in damage to the UC Berkeley campus, not counting more than a dozen businesses that were vandalized in the city’s downtown area and Telegraph corridor, university officials said.”

Back where I come from, when a riot causes $100,000 damage in the presence of police officers who make no moves to stop them, it’s not hailed as a new standard in police crowd control.

• Spikier Than Thou

Sorry, I should have said that I have circumstantial evidence supporting your hypothesis as to WHY they didn’t devote a lot of energy to protecting the milo speech, but some people won’t be happy if I share it.

I’m not disputing reports that the police response was small – I was there, and it looked small to me.

• UponFurtherReview

OK, no problem, I think we agree on this point.

And as I’ve said, I have no problem whatsoever with the protesters who wanted to demonstrate peacefully, as long as they didn’t prevent people from entering the auditorium where Milo was scheduled to speak.

I just think the university administration dropped the ball by not asking the police and campus security to take action as soon as they saw 100-plus guys with black masks and black clothing approach the protest site. The cops were dressed in riot gear, so I presume they were prepared to take action, and if university officials essentially told them to stand down, the school deserves the $100,000 damage it sustained.

• The_PatriSnark”

they deserve a multi-million dollar civil rights law suit. Both
            Berkeley proper , and BU.. What these clowns are doing is
            called conspiracy against rights.. Defined by 18 US Code 241 , “If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or
            intimidate any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession,
            or District in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege
            secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or
            because
            of his having so exercised the same; etc etc” .. A law , ironically,
            used by the early DOJ to aggressively prosecute another “direct action” grass roots political group called the KKK..Only when these red guard are prosecuted to the furthest extent of the law will I consider Berkeley to be anything less than a
            totalitarian state in need of regime change.

• UponFurtherReview

Yep, isn’t it great when people who claim to oppose fascism use the tools of fascism to try to intimidate their opponents?

• The_PatriSnark”

it’s called propaganda.. In fact these are the same that helped hitler get into power.. His election was in part a reaction to the blac block little weasels attacking people in the streets and making it impossible to have a sane political arena…….. They unleashed the demon of political violence then same as now. If anyone deserved Hitler it was the communist.

• NoeValleyJim

You must have not heard of the KKK.

• jnarcus

And you show you lack of knowledge of history. The KKK was started by the defeated southern democrats as a way to intimidate African Americans and others. It has always been populated by the democrat party….just like Bull Connor and his boys.

• NoeValleyJim

I do know that history. I also know that today the KKK is populated by Republicans. They even showed up to celebrate Trumps inauguration.

http://www.salon.com/2016/03/04/why_republicans_blaming_democrats_for_the_kkk_are_profoundly_wrong/

• UponFurtherReview

So what? The father of the Orlando shooter, whose pro-Taliban sympathies are well documented, attended a Hillary rally and identified himself as a Democrat. http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/09/politics/orlando-gunman-father-clinton/
            http://www.cbsnews.com/news/orlando-shooting-omar-mateen-father-seddique-mateen-taliban-god-punish-gays/

Does that make Hillary and the Democratic Party responsible for his mindset or complicit in supporting the Taliban (or for that matter, the Orlando massacre)?

Of course not, just as neither Trump nor GOP officials are responsible for the mindset of the KKK or anyone else who claims to vote Republican. Guilt by association is a classic fallacy.

• Darknut

Oh the Father of the Orlando Shooter?

Ok I’ll see your one guy who wasn’t even a shooter and raise you this guy

http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/31/quebec-mosque-shooter-is-a-right-wing-nationalist/

Big Milo and Trump fan. Quoted Breitbart. Actual shooter.. No “association” needed.

“Does that make Hillary and the Democratic Party responsible for his mindset or complicit in supporting the Taliban (or for that matter, the Orlando massacre)?”

It could absolutely mean that, if you could find some connection with Secretary Clinton’s rhetoric and the shooter’s stated reasons for the crime (somehow through his father I guess?)

IN the case of the Quebec Mosque shooter we absolutely can. Directly.

You can’t tell me that Trump and his followers “aren’t responsible for the mindset of the KKK” because a good many of his followers ARE the KKK. That’s not “guilt by association” that’s “guilt by guilt.”

• Spikier Than Thou

Is there a source on the Breitbart/milo/Bissonnette link? The Daily Caller story you linked to doesn’t mention it, and my own digging so far has only found other people in various comments sections making that accusation.

The only terrorism/milo links I’ve found are Gamergate and that one time he did an article based on info provided (milo claims another source corroborated the info iirc) by a guy who was later arrested for allegedly trying to help Daesh plan a terrorist strike.

• UponFurtherReview

Ha, now I know you’re grasping at straws. The KKK hasn’t been relevant in probably a half century. Current membership is estimated at a whopping 5,000.

So … claiming that “a good many of [Trump’s] followers ARE the KKK” would no doubt win up votes from an audience of lefties, but in the real world it’s laughably inaccurate.

Ditto with the Quebec mosque shooter. So what if he happened to like Trump? Blaming the president for the shooting is as brainless as blaming the Beatles for the fact that Charles Manson was inspired by the song “Helter Skelter.”

• PetePatriot

Salon is a joke.

• NoeValleyJim
          • NoeValleyJim
        • gthog61

Are we really “crushingly” ignorant? That’s a new one, must have dusted off your thesaurus. WTF are we ignorant about?

• Darknut

Whatever sense it takes not to support white nationalists who spout #alternativefacts

• NoeValleyJim

What are you not ignorant about?

• DarkStarCrashes

Do you realize that this state pays more to the federal government than we receive from it?

The opposite is true of many deep red southern states.

• The_PatriSnark”

Do you realize that most of that is paid back to your outrageous 34% welfare draw.. By far the highest in the country…. CA is a cesspool on the verge of bankruptcy even though it has by itslef the 8th largest economy in world… The only thing saving the massive mess of stupidity, entitlement, and pathetic weakness is the Red blood of america, dedicated to feeding the massive excesses of corrupt coastal liberals.

• DarkStarCrashes

Throw out whatever alternative facts you want. Bottom line, you voted for a man who has no interest in reading books. He prefers trashy TV. Probably reminds you of yourself and that’s why you like him.

• The_PatriSnark”

here’s an alternative fact for you…. New Pork and Commiefornia host more than half of the countries welfare recipients but only 20% of the overall population.

• Darknut

Gosh how will you ever get to hear him speak he’s so inaccessible an not oversaturated in the media! He gave up that right when he harassed a trans student at his previous “speaking engagement.”

Besides Masked white guys at an otherwise peaceful protest? #BreitbartBrownShirts. Pretty obvious.

• Michael Doucet

Mukund, you are an idiot. Get out of your echo chamber and experience different points of view, whether you like them or not.

• Emanuelle

“There is a time when the operation of
    the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you
    can’t take part; you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to
    put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers,
    upon all the apparatus, and you’ve got to make it stop. And you’ve got
    to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that
    unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all!”

Bravo! You win the hysteria and virtue signalling award of the day. Grow up and act like adults.