Storify: Milo Yiannopoulos event canceled at UC Berkeley amid violent protests

mikaela1
Mikaela Raphael/File

As more than 1,000 demonstrators took to Sproul Plaza in protest of Milo Yiannopoulos’ speaking event organized by the Berkeley College Republicans, UCPD was forced to call off the event because of safety concerns.

Daily Californian reporters covered events, including acts of vandalism, as they unfolded on campus and throughout the city.

Contact The Daily Californian News Staff at [email protected]

• Daniel W Kauffman Jr

Milo would have spoken to a few hundred at most, maybe been seen by a few thousand on youtube, They stopped that. So? He got to speak to millions on National TV AND pre-sales on his up coming book on Amazon shot up Thirteen THOUSAND Percent? They made the man a Fortune. What was their point>???

• FRANK FROM WEST VIRGINIA

alt-right lives—blue state blues>?

• Prosper

Let’s not all jump on the hate-wagon here. Protests are a form of free speech and are not forcefully silencing anyone. The issue here is that another group exploited this event to push their own agenda of violence, and we don’t even know whether they were actually Cal students. Let’s not allow those rogue acts of violence to detract from the MESSAGE that students were trying to convey. Being a liberal doesn’t get you into Berkeley – it’s being at the top of the class, creative, and hardworking to be able to attend one of the top public universities.

• Daniel W Kauffman Jr

It does seem odd that this sort of destruction and violence seems to always break out during Liberal Protests or did I just miss the Great Tea Party Riots of 09?

• AnonymouseIsAWoman

I loved the courage of the large male leftist who waited until a girl in a Trump hat started to walk away from him, then reached around and pepper sprayed her in the face while apparently hitting her as well. Great courage from the radicals of today – they sucker punch only people smaller than them, unless they can do a group attack on one person. Sounds like the gangs have taken over Berkeley.

• Gregg

Don’t wait a month for Milo’s new book, instead read “KEK: The Rise of Donald Trump” (released 2017)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ7QSIE
    So spicy, that Hillary can leave the Hot Sauce in her purse. Free speech for all

• johnlittle

Rioting is the last resort of the verbally incompetent. Go figure, John Little, Sr

• hilldweller1

This morning, PBS Forum hosted one of the Milo event organizers who broadly condemned the protestors as a group and likened all of their behavior to anti-free speech, even bordering on hate speech against Milo and those who chose to host his event. I was disappointed by his comments as well as many of those below. There is, and there was last night, a vast difference between the Black Block and the beliefs of the majority of protestors – as vast as the difference between the alt-right and their message and the majority belief of registered Republicans. I expected the Forum speaker, as I expect all UCB community members, to be able to parse the differences among the demonstrators at last night’s event. Since the organizer himself admitted he was in the building and not in the plaza, I suggest his eyewitness account, at best, was faulty and his analysis of “what went down” should be understood for what it is, his opinion.

• helen

I was there and witnessed LOTS of people without masks blocking the doors of buildings and warning random people “if you’re not here to protest, GTF out of here!” I wonder who THEY were.

• Affirmatively

This is not news. This is SOP for leftists who disagree with a position.

• Bradford Match

Really, not 1 arrest!

• calstudent16210663

Dear your honorable President Trump, can you please make UC Berkeley great again?!? Professor Bob Jacobson slandered my name on UC Berkeley’s website in 2008 and I was arrested/ jailed for 2 weeks in 2011 because of this happening (on the L&S website). I lost my financial aid and my degree program as a result of being removed from the UC Berkeley campus with a stay away court order. I’ve never done anything wrong and police will not help after I waited 5 years for this stay away order to expire. (Do these campus stay away orders actually expire?) I have student debt and I can’t even drive for Uber for another 2 more years because of this (which was out of my control!) I even have an apology letter on letterhead from UC Berkeley for Bob’s behavior, but that does not help the police and the court system fix what’s broke!

• CaliforniaQueen

Berkeley is embarrassing.

• ShadrachSmith

President Donald Trump reacted to the massive rioting at UC-Berkeley in response to a scheduled campus speech by Breitbart News editor Milo Yiannopoulos.
    “If U.C. Berkeley does not allow free speech and practices violence on innocent people with a different point of view – NO FEDERAL FUNDS?” Trump wrote on Twitter early Thursday morning. – B-bart

Protest that.

• ZZZzzzz

What a Joke these anarchist fauxtesters were last night. Pathetic! Torching, rioting, attacking ATMs, giving other Americans beatdowns rendering him unconscious, and listening to the tune ‘Fcuk Donald Trump.” Really? How cute.

No free speech for a Gay Conservative Libertarian? Maybe next time our President Trump will withhold funds from your twisted school. You anarchists are a real piece of work.

Via Trump Tweet: “If U.C. Berkeley does not allow free speech and practices violence on innocent people with a different point of view – NO FEDERAL FUNDS?”

Sounds like a plan.

• uncle Sam’s misguided child

Are you proud of your school?

Myself, I’d say you brought shame upon yourself

Clearly you do not understand the
    1st Amendment

It’s not polite speech that needs protection, rather it’s all speech even the speech we love to hate

Tell me of you views of the 2nd,
    You do know it protects the 1st

A hint
    It’s not about hunting
    It’s never been about hunting…

• Tsathogua

Hate speech is not free speech and should be suppressed.
    (and hate speech is whatever speech I disagree with)

• uncle Sam’s misguided child

Define hate speech

Maybe you should read the book
      When the nazis
      marched in Skokie IL

It’s argument concerning
      Free speech

Stokie, a community of Jewish

• Peter Quinn

Perhaps you can share with us some examples of Milo’s “hate speech”…

• FreedomFirst

He’s mocking ‘hate speech’

• Peter Quinn

The original comment only had the first line. But thank you for letting me know that he was in fact being sarcastic…

• FreedomFirst

Sorry.

• Peter Quinn

No worries mate…

• Richard Baranov

This was an utter disgrace. Mario Savio and the Free Speech Movement, all would have been appalled by this conduct. Winston Churchill said: “In the future the Fascists will parade as anti-Fascists.” He was obviously prescient because that is what we saw last night. Fascists desecrating the very space on which Mario fought for free enquiry.

Mario speaking, and you people if you have any sense of decency left, I hope you feel ashamed.

Mario Savio

• somatic60

As others have said, todays fascism is on the left. Its time to cut federal funds to universities that allow this kind of political violence. Hopefully many arrests are made today, but i wont hold my breath.

• Guido88

I think it’s quite clear who the fascists are here.

• RL Macdonald

Sad to see this happen at Cal. Perplexed by the non-responsive Police presence. The Chancellor said after UC Davis, Cal had plans in place to make sure Milo would go on without a hitch. Wishful thinking?

• lets be clear, this was political violence from the left designed to squelch and silence dissenting opinions. the real brownshirts are the leftist thugs!

• ShadrachSmith

No arrests, that makes it look like university sponsored violence.

• sven holmes

Daily Cal should be held financially responsible for their Op-Ed encouraging others to protest.

Congrats on welcoming destruction of property, businesses, and your own campus. All while under the banner of being ‘oppressed’….funny how the police did little to nothing to stop this ‘protest’.

• sven holmes

“it was black bloc” isn’t an excuse, I am sure many hard leftists within social sciences share membership and close relationships with Bay Area Socialist Alternative.

• Arafat

I’d go further than this and hold the Berkeley administration – from the top on down – responsible for it is they who have crafted a university that encourages, promotes this sort of fascist behavior.

• Iain Riule

So pleased the protestors “seem to be actively avoiding local/campus businesses/properties in favor of chains like Starbucks”, Alex. Does that make it ok to trash the area? I thought this was a political protest not a coffee looting spree.

• StanFromSomewhere

Other sources report them as shouting anti-semitic slogans. So much for the myth that these people were protesting “hate speech”.

• SMH

Warning!! — Zionist At Work!!: “Other sources report them as shouting anti-semitic slogans.”

• lspanker

You again?

• SMH

Oh! Thanks for reminding me…: Warning!! — Zionist _*LIARS*_ At Work!!: “Other sources report them as shouting anti-semitic slogans.”