2 suspects arrested, nearly 60 stolen cards found

shooting1_dDoyle_ss
Dapree Doyle/Senior Staff

Two male suspects were arrested Jan. 25 after Berkeley Police Department officers stopped their car and found nearly 60 stolen credit, debit and gift cards, a handgun and marijuana.

According to BPD spokesperson Officer Byron White, BPD Officer Kyle Ludovico and his training officer Tim Gardner responded to calls of an auto burglary on the 2400 block of Warring Street at 3:41 p.m., eventually finding the suspects in the reported vehicle near Channing Way and Milvia Street. The suspects continued driving for several blocks but stopped at the intersection of Oregon and Grant streets.

During the traffic stop, the officers noticed broken glass inside as well as the smell of marijuana. Upon searching the car, the officers found the stolen cards, a handgun with an extended magazine and marijuana, according to White.

Ludovico had only been in training for 15 days when he and Gardner pulled over the suspects, said White in an email.

The suspects, Theron Roy Brooks, from Hayward, and William Edward Joseph III, from Oakland, were both arrested and remain in custody.

Brooks is being held in the Santa Rita Jail on $45,000 bail facing a burglary charge. Joseph is also being held in Santa Rita on $100,000 bail for several firearm-related charges and second-degree burglary.

“Thefts of credit cards is something that we do see frequently,” White said. “But where they came from — that requires investigation. … They may not all come from Berkeley.”

According to the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office, Brooks and Joseph are scheduled for a pretrial hearing at Rene C. Davidson Courthouse on Feb. 7.

Contact Ashley Wong at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @wongalum.