UC, CSU faculty members write open letter to Trump on climate change

About 2,300 faculty members from the UC and CSU systems, including more than 400 UC Berkeley faculty members, have signed an open letter urging President Donald Trump to continue efforts to meet greenhouse gas emission targets set by the Paris Climate Agreement.

The purpose of the letter, it states, is to show the degree to which there is a consensus among scientists and academics that climate change is caused by humans. Among the signees were 48 members of the campus department of environmental science, policy and management and 26 members of the campus department of integrative biology.

“The Earth’s climate is entering a state that has not been experienced in human history,” the statement reads. “Continuing to produce greenhouse gases at current rates will have catastrophic, unstoppable consequences for our environment, our economy, and our country.”

The letter goes on to cite that increasing droughts, violent weather and high tides are among the results of climate change that should be taken into account in future policy and could have economic impacts. The faculty members call upon the Trump administration to direct the United States to invest in and incentivize clean energy.

“The science of how greenhouse gases trap heat is unimpeachable. Climate records are being broken as human-caused changes add onto natural oscillations … in the climate system,” the letter stated. “The world has been slow to respond (to climate change) and, as a result, we run an increasing risk of major damage to America’s economy and security.”

Jessica Lynn is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @jessicailynn.