Berkeley College Republicans no longer required to pay security fee for Yiannopoulos event

karen-chow
Karen Chow/Staff

After the cancellation of Milo Yiannopoulos’ campus appearance Wednesday night, UCPD will not charge the Berkeley College Republicans — the campus group that invited him — the $6,372 security fee previously associated with the event.

The original agreement between BCR and the campus stipulated that BCR would reimburse the campus for the security fee after the event, according to UC Berkeley spokesperson Dan Mogulof. The security fee, however, would have been allocated solely toward UCPD security inside the event. Security outside the event, where the protests took place, was covered under UCPD’s budget.

“(BCR) won’t be required to pay it because the event never actually took place,” Mogulof said. “They’re not going to be charged for event security for an event that didn’t happen. The additional security outside the venue … is not the responsibility of the Berkeley College Republicans.”

Last month, UCPD estimated that the security fee would cost about $7,500 to $10,000, but the charge was later reduced, according to BCR Internal Vice President Pieter Sittler.

BCR Treasurer David Craig said an anonymous donor who financed part of the security fee had two conditions for donating: that he remain anonymous and that the event occur. Because the event was canceled, BCR must refund the donor, Craig said.

“I’m told by (an) adviser in the ASUC that any donation to a club from the outside source can be reversed in 10 days,” Craig said.

Mogulof emphasized that waving BCR’s security fee is standard procedure: No student organization would be charged for event security were the event canceled.

“This isn’t an exception,” Mogulof said. “This is standard policy.”

Contact Chantelle Lee, Harini Shyamsundar and Jessica Lynn at newsdesk@dailycal.org.

• Jan

HITLER’S YOUTH Soros knows the power of corrupting the minds of youth. They are the future and they police each other, their communities and even their own family.

• menloman

All speech needs to come at a cost. Got something to say? Pony up. This would apply to all speakers at special events, in classrooms, on television, on the bus, walking down the street. The effect would be to limit the amount of nonsense. I’m ready to pay for this too. Where do I send money?

• Jan

WHERE WAS THE SAFE SPACE AND HOT CHOCOLATE FOR THE CONSERVATIVE STUDENTS. OH THEY GOT A HOSPITAL ROOM AND SMASHED HEAD INSTEAD

• Di

The campus police said the rioting occurred off campus. The city mayor said the riots occurred on the campus. Who’s pointing fingers? Who’s not taking responsibility? Hope Milo comes back. Profs and students should be required to attend, as in sit there in the auditorium and listen. He allows questions, they could even ask him questions.

• Jan

I Have seen a vid of his lecture. He shoots them all down like lightening. This is why they hate him. He is smarter than they are but that is not hard to do these day. The serious students are studying or working. Most of these kids didn’t even vote and if you ask the on the street what is going on they say things they heard from other kids. They all use the same five words they rattle off. HOMOPHOBIC, MISOGYNISTIC, XENOPHOBIC, RACIST, WHITE SUPREMEST, FASCIST. A lot of them don’t know what the words mean.

• Jan

I LOVE WHEN LIBS TURN ON EACH OTHER. IT IS SO ENTERTAINING

• jose abrigado

ALEXANDER SOROS, son of George Soros, student at UC BERKELEY, brokered an arrangement with UC Berkeley administrators to have the police stand down and make no arrests. Alexander Soros live in a mansion in North Berkeley. FIND HIM.

• Jan

Well then the victims must sue the school and the city. Soros will gladly refund the loses under the table. No use in suing Soros. There only hope is a Jury but if Soros is involved they will settle to avoid press and depositions.

• FlameCCT

I would add in they also need to understand US & World History especially the actions and results of the Marxist derivatives like Communism, National Socialism, and mainly Progressivism in the USA.

–Progressive President Wilson segregated the federal government.
    –Progressive President FDR under Executive Order 9066, ordered Japanese Americans into internment camps during WWII regardless of citizenship.
    –Progressive Democrats started the KKK.
    –Progressive Democrats instituted Jim Crow Laws.
    –Progressive Democrats opposed Civil Rights, Women’s Rights, etc.
    –Progressive Democrats denied MLK, Cassius Clay, and many others their Constitutional Rights. In particular denied MLK his 2A RKBA.
    –Progressive Democrats have controlled almost every city where there is high gun violence, high crime, and oppressive gun control with Gun Free Zones.
    –And the list goes on and on.

• Nunya Beeswax

To refer to the Democratic Party of the 19th and early 20th century as “progressive” is to commit the error of anachronism. Neither the GOP nor the Dems have remained static over the past century. The Republicans of today like to talk about “state’s rights,” which is the very concept opposed by the Republican party of the 1860s, against which Abraham Lincoln took the stand that occasioned the Civil War. It was a Democrat president, by the way, who spearheaded civil rights legislation in the 1960s–opposed by many of the Dixiecrats (some of whom changed parties) and most of the Republicans.

And Richard Nixon’s policies were, on the whole, to the left of Obama’s. If he were alive today, he’d be vilified as a RINO by Republicans. Not even St Reagan would pass muster in today’s Republican party.

• FlameCCT

It is truly sad that you brush away historical facts.

It was a Democrat President that was forced into signing the Civil Rights Act after the Republicans pushed it through Congress while the Progressive Democrats, mostly Southern Progressive Democrats, that vehemently opposed it; just as the Progressive Southern Democrat Governors and State Legislatures opposed Civil Rights. Just as Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. was a Republican and Progressive Democrats denied him his Constitutional Rights including 2A RKBA just as Progressive Democrats continue today to violate many people’s Constitutional Rights especially their 2A RKBA.

I would also note that Reagan was vilified by Progressives, both Democrat and Republican. Sorry my friend but you use Progressive propaganda instead of historical facts.

• Nunya Beeswax

It’s more accurate to say that there was bipartisan support for the Civil Rights Act, or at least *a* Civil Rights Act (Dirksen, a Republican, supported passing a somewhat weaker version of the bill). And yes, Southern Democrats were against it, as was at least one Southern Republican.

I’m not sure how you can speak of Johnson being forced to sign this legislation; on Nov 27 1963, he addressed Congress with a plea to pass it, and not just signed it but worked diligently to break the Congressional logjam preventing a vote. Maybe he was muscled into it, but I’m not sure how you can come to that conclusion without hard evidence.

Finally, I’m not sure what you think you mean by “progressive,” but it seems to me you’re using it in a very idiosyncratic way. Perhaps, like Humpty Dumpty, when you use words they mean only what you choose them to mean.

• FlameCCT

Simple, I use historical facts as the basis for “Progressive”. Progressivism was the form of Marxist ideology that arose in the USA in the late 1800s / early 1900s; the same time period that found other forms of Marxism like Communism and National Socialism arise. Democrats combined the Progressive ideology with their plantation ideology which led to Progressive Democrat President Wilson segregating the federal government. While around the same time Teddy Roosevelt’s Progressivism was rejected by the Republican Party and he formed his own Progressive Bull Moose Party.

I would also note that Bernays and Lippmann developed their methods of propaganda to support Wilson’s segregation. The same methods admired and used by Communists Lenin & Stalin of Russia, Communist Mao of China, National Socialist Goebells of Germany, even Progressive Alinsky in his Rules for Radicals; not to mention currently used by Progressive Democrats today as well as Progressive media outlets to support them. Today’s media has become no different than TASS/Pravda of the old Soviet Union.

BTW: I have been opposing the various forms of failed Marxist ideology for decades.

• menloman

“They’re not going to be charged for event security for an event that didn’t happen. The additional security outside the venue … is not the responsibility of the Berkeley College Republicans.” The way I hear it there was no security outside the event either. Perhaps the UCB police need to be laid off.

• Jan

they need to be investigates and sued. The courts are liberal so nothing will happen but if the victims sue, they will get a jury and at a deposition, they can ask all the questions and get answers. Now they will all CYA

• Jan

I saw a tweet where the mayor threw the police chief under the bus, maybe they will all start turning on each other. I love when corrupt people do that

• TNT

It still remains a potent term when properly applied to a referent. Hence, Ricardo’s ilk, such as the violent protestors who abhor free speech, are true fascists.

• Barley mcgrew

Very well said. I am no fan of Trump. Or much of any of what he opines. But I will nevertheless defend his right to say it – every time.

However, whether the endless carping about the Florida ‘miscount’ at the start of Dubya’s second term, the barracking of any men’s rights speakers by feminists in universities the world over, the endless demands for the public vote to be ignored or rerun with regards Brexit – or those violent protests that fly in the face of free speech at Berkeley – one cannot help but notice how the Left appear to have all but discarded the concept of democracy and free speech when constantly demanding it’s either their way or no way.

* Rewritten due to one word getting it held back. Lol.
      .

• FRANK FROM WEST VIRGINIA

i hopin 4 a cali-exit

• Jan

It wont solve all of it, the Eastern courts have been infiltrated as well. Soros has even trued to infiltrate the Catholic Church, he has a global plan for the world and will stop at nothing. He is very old but he has spawn

• Count_Yob

There didn’t seem to be much security outside the event. Were they asked to stand down during the riot?

• Jan

SO IT SEEMS, THE MAYOR THREW THE POLICE CHIEF UNDER THE BUS. WHO HAS POWER OVER THE POLICE CHIEF.

• Malden

This incident illustrates how badly America needs a new concept of Free Speech.

Right-wing conservatism and hate speech have become intolerable obstacles to progress in America. It is critical that this social pathology be eradicated from our nation.

A good start would be to adopt Canada’s practice of having a Human Rights Commission that establishes the acceptable opinions on major public issues. In Canada, anyone having an improper opinion can be charged with a hate crime.

The Supreme Court should reinterpret Free Speech to mean “speech that makes us more free,” meaning free from racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, and social injustice. Only speech that promotes these goals should be constitutionally protected.

Once this concept is established, we can begin to aggressively prosecute hate speech, cleansing our nation of hate criminals and all others who seek to impede the progressive agenda.

• Jan

We have a constitution. It can not be transformed to suit any concept of free speech. We are not Canada. We don’t want to be like Canada but if you would be happier there, that is where you should live. I am not trying to insult you, I am serious.

• FlameCCT

Unfortunately for Malden and us; Canada has refused to take the Progressive Fleabaggers.

• Count_Yob

Canada’s so-called Human Rights Commission is a form of tyranny. Hate speech is a subjective judgment. It’s speech that the poobahs in power hate.

• Jan

Milo moved here because the UK is like Canada. Look what he got, all of the nut jobs in our country trying to kill him. It is humiliating to see their reaction to him but Madonna is a hero for wanting to blow up the White House. Where did the love, peace and tolerance libs go. Did aliens probe them and suck their brains out. It is like the invasion of the body snatchers. Watch that old move. They look the same but they are really monsters.

• FRANK FROM WEST VIRGINIA

free speech is free speech –dats it snowflakes—all views count–its america

• jim hoch

read 1984 by George Orwell, “freedom is slavery”.

• FlameCCT

Thank you for demonstrating the ignorance of a Progressive Plantation serf following the directives and propaganda from your Elitist Masters and Uncle Tom Overseers.

• Jan

FREE SPEECH is not subject to concepts or interpretations.

• Philip Cutrone

FREE SPEACH IS DEAD IN BERKELEY! Very sad that 55 years ago students stood for The right to free Speach. Now some are turning over in their graves. RIP Free Speach.

• jerrisanchez

This is the state of California… you guys need to do something…vote…impeach ….bombard your universities, board members, UC Berkeley donors, the police unions and departments, fire departments with complaints about not doing their jobs….do it on the internet…do it by phone…do it by mail….walk in politely and fill out a complaint form. Just “get er done”. I mean really one arrest.

• Jan

If Berkely gets sued maybe there is a chance but the courts here all have liberal judges so nothing changes. The judges, the leaders, all liberal

• Jan

The only hope for the conservative students is a civil lawsuit with a Jury. No justice for them in criminal courts, all liberal.

• Nunya Beeswax

Your inability to spell “speech” properly undercuts your message just a bit.

• Philip Cutrone

Well I always had a spelling issue since I was little. Just one of the strange disabilities on how my brain is wired. Spell check missed it. Any way you got what I mean so did everyone else. Thank you for your ability to be a nit picker.

• jose abrigado

ignore the pedantic commie scum Philip, we got your back.

• Philip Cutrone

Got it.

• Jan

Now it stands for liberal Tyranny

• Doug Sterling

It is obviously unacceptable to cancel anyone’s speech because fascist goons object to their opinion. What date is the speech going to be rescheduled for? Otherwise, President Trump should in fact cut off federal funds to U Cal Berkeley, as the law requires.

• Sven Åke Svensson

Even little me in Norway have heard of this travesty. Your school has serious issues. And the speaker in that planned event is not even close to be the problem.
    About time you students told the schools leadership to get a grip. Free speech is something you really should defend no matter what.

• Anthony Kang

THANK YOU, Sven. This is really, reaaaally encouraging hearing this from someone in Europe.

• jerrisanchez

Bravo…..well said.

• Thank you.

• microrex21

These so called “students” should have learned what freedom of speech is. it is not free at all, it comes with a high price, You dont like what another american has to say. well guess what freedom of speech is allowing that person to speak, just like your allowed to speak. it goes both ways and if you dont get that then your in the wrong country

• Jan

they learn nothing but what their radical leftist professors want them to learn

• Chase Smith

I go to Berkeley and I was at the protest. The students (while loud and perhaps obnoxious) did not commit any of the violent acts. It was an outside group known as Antifas that caused chaos and damage. It was horrible what happened, but the students of Berkeley did not do it.

• Douglas

Milo Yiannopolous is not an American so your argument kind of falls apart there.

Also no government agents stopped his speech, so the First Amendment was upheld.

• Jan

they did that to avoid a law suit because obviously they did not get security, nor the police or fire dept or an ambulance. AS IS they could take money from the on top of this riot. They will be sued anyway just to get to the bottom of the corruption that set these kids up. No emergency responders is pretty suspicious

• jerrisanchez

So true and well said… there was nobody there and this provable via everyone’s cell phones.

• Jan

NO POLICE, NO FIRE DEPT, NO AMBULANCE 1000 people with cell phone. Does that add up? Where was the security that the students paid for. INVESTIGATION NECESSARY

• jerrisanchez

Great Point…..Then remove them from office… California you need to need to do something with your elected officials.

• Jan

No hope. All liberal judges and leaders. Unless this results in a law suit with a hungry aggressive lawyer behind the case, no hope

• jose abrigado

SOROS & son, Alexander Soros who is a student at UC Berkeley.

• Artstreet Gallery

I think an investigation is necessary as well. The anonymous donor might prove to be a key player. BCR Treasurer David Craig said an anonymous donor who financed part of
      the security fee had two conditions for donating: that he remain
      anonymous and that the event occur. Because the event was canceled, BCR
      must refund the donor, Craig said.

• The Most Equal

http://imgur.com/l2kdhhz.jpg

Why were riot police in the student union building told to stand down while the riot was occurring?

• Jan

YES WHY DID THEY, the one person they arrested was just a regular 19 year old kid while 150 violent rioters dressed in all black and masks were left alone to riot. Another big WHY. Who has the power in Berkely to stop the police, the fire dept and an ambulance. One boy was beaten to near death with an iron pole. Students dragged him away to save his life. The mayor was in a twitter war against the speaker that day. He should be investigated because who else has the power to stop emergency responders

• jerrisanchez

Yes why…good point. Vote out the mayor…police chief….get rid of the President of UC Berkeley…
      freedom of speech should be upheld in the State of California… Milo’s civil liberties were heinously violated. Their comments attacked the victim Milo as the cause of the Riot. Remove their 370 million federal money… that’s going to destroy their reseach department in the crapper….give it to another California University that upholds freedom of speech… and doesn’t tolerate violence on unarmed people who are attending a speech in a public university.
      Take it to the vote.

• POTUS Trump needs to cut the funding to colleges that prohibit the honest & free discussion of the issues. Arrests need to be made if it is found that college officials told security to stand down or interfered w/ medical or fire-fighting personnel (are you listening, Janet Napolitano?).

• jerrisanchez

Well Said.

• Jan

Money is the only way to get them to listen. Not one out of one hundred fifty violent rioters arrested. Very suspicious. They were there and being filmed for a long time.

• $ isn’t the only way: don’t forget about rubber bullets.

• Jan

I meant the only way to get the university to do the right thing is withholding of federal money. The universities are run by liberals elites who will never support the rights of the conservative students. Liberalism is like a religion here in CA. Maybe even like a cult. They want to police your thoughts, your speech, your politics. You name it. No place to turn that is not liberal in the government. They were empowered for 8 years, now they feel entitled. This is why there is so much rage and violence. They are not going to give up all of the power without a fight. They have been in their own little utopia under Obama. Liberal elites are power and money hungry. They get rich while the poor and black community get poorer. For 8 years this has been going on. No middle class in CA. No American dream for us just the elites. The liberal politicians are multi millionaires. Google them. You will not believe their net worth. Government is their god. This is why they fight so hard to maintain power.

• Jan

If the mayor was behind it, he should resign. I head a conservative speaker say one of the colleges he lectured at had a riot. The administration of the university would not allow the police on campus. That should not be. People were being hurt and could have died and a fire was blazing away. The students were in danger.

• jerrisanchez

Yeah… Dereliction of duty …what happened to Protect and Serve and uphold the Constitution.

• Jan

BERKELY is a progressive Stepford city. That is why the Mayor felt entitled to incite students against Milo with his slanderous, incendiary tweets

• jose abrigado

ALEXANDER SOROS orchestrated the whole thing from his North Berkeley mansion.

• Ricardo

This is beyond unacceptable Berkeley should not be providing forums for facist violent jack booted Thugs like Yiannopoulos

• Cambridge_Butch

Looks like the jack-booted thugs were the ones outside starting fires and spraying pepper spray in women’s eyes. Just because you don’t agree with Milo’s message doesn’t give you the right to bully other students’ on campus from having a free assembly.

• jerrisanchez

UC Berkeley allowed Louis Farrakhan with open arms… he promotes Sharia Law and the vile treatment of women and homosexuals… they treated him like a rock star
        .
        The Democratic Party now consists of the unhinged Democratic Hollywood Party, riotous Democratic Party members who burn property, Democrats who burn the American flag, Democrats who block roads, Democrats who terrorize our airports pissing off thousands of people, Democrats who are with the false Black narrative of “hands up don’t shoot” to the point our cops are being assassinated, Democrats have children attending vile protests using profanity and vile images in front of them, Democrats obsessed with genitalia issues and skin tones.

Now Democrats Terrorize Universities…riot, again burn the flag…arson…vandalize a Martin Luther King building, assault unarmed students attending a speech, burn a tree (I can hear the green freaks screaming)….violate the civil liberty of free speech due Milo and then violate the victim by blaming Milo.

• Cambridge_Butch

Wow. Well said Jerri.

• Jan

ITS THE CONSTITUTION if you want censorship without free speech, go to CUBA OR THE MIDDLE EAST. You are in the wrong country

• I heard that Venezuela or Zimbabwe are nice this time of year. The protestors would probably love it down there.

• Jan

Maybe they don’t know our constitution but why?

• jerrisanchez

Bravo !!

• Jan

A THUG IS A VIOLENT PERSON where were the violent people? outside not Milo

• Anthony Kang
    • Nunya Beeswax

I don’t think Berkeley should be providing forums for people who can’t spell “fascist” either. So there you go.

• Jan

Why are you so hung up on spelling and typos. It comes off as very condescending. I have a cast on my wrist and make many typos but to belittle a persons opinion is uncalled for. Especially on an opinion site You come off as a real jerk. Please just let people express themselves without your critique of their typing or spelling skills.

• Nunya Beeswax

Why don’t you just let people express themselves without your critique of their social-media personas?

• jose abrigado

Ricardo was one of the rock throwing anarchists

• roccolore

UC would have never provided security regardless.

• Jan

I heard they don’t charge this SECURITY fee for conservative speakers

• Arafat

Liberals: Two feet planted firmly in the air.

• lspanker

And their heads planted you know where…

• Arafat

Horowitz says, “Inside every liberal is a totalitarian screaming to get out.”
        Thank you Berkeley for proving Horowitz’s theory.

• Jan

its gone beyond that now, they have been infiltrated with violent leftists backed by Soros
        The Democratic party no longer exists. They use the name for cred but it is dead