Milo Yiannopoulos announces intent to reschedule campus talk

Photo Mike Allen

Milo Yiannopoulos announced Saturday that he still intends to make an appearance at UC Berkeley even though his event Wednesday was canceled by UCPD.

Yiannopoulos’ speech, initially set to occur 8:00 p.m. Wednesday, was canceled about 6:00 p.m. by UCPD after violence broke out in opposition to the event. In a Facebook post Saturday, Yiannopoulos said he plans to come back to campus within the coming months to give the talk as originally scheduled.

“I’m planning to return to Berkeley to give the speech I was prevented from delivering. Hopefully within the next few months,” Yiannopoulos said in a Facebook post. “I’ll keep you posted.”

Yiannopoulos has not yet reached out to Berkeley College Republicans to discuss rescheduling the event, according to BCR treasurer David Craig. Craig said although he does not personally support Yiannopoulos, he is open to seeing the speaker return to campus.

“If it was safe for everyone, I’d like him to be able to give the speech he intended. Ticket holders did pay for tickets, and everyone went through a lot of planning,” Craig said. “It would be nice if everyone’s time and effort yielded something.”

UCPD arrested one suspect at the Wednesday night protests and an additional two suspects in an unrelated incident Thursday morning.

Cassandra Vogel is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @cass_vogxz.