New law prevents Cal men’s basketball from playing home-and-home with Kansas

mhoops_lianne_frick_file
Lianne Frick/File

The first effects of a 2015 law that bans California state agencies — including public universities — from mandating travel to states that discriminate against “sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression” are being felt. The Cal men’s basketball team has reportedly broken off talks with Kansas on a proposed home-and-home series, according to the Lawrence World-Journal.

The law, Assembly Bill No. 1887, was approved by Gov. Jerry Brown last September and took effect this January. Kansas has come under scrutiny with regard to this law because it passed a bill that took effect in June 2016 stating that post-secondary educational institutes no longer had to take actions or enforce policy that didn’t “comply with the association’s sincerely held religious beliefs, comply with the association’s sincere religious standards of conduct, or be committed to furthering the association’s religious missions.”

North Carolina and Mississippi also qualify as states that state agencies cannot compel travel to. Cal football has already scheduled trips to both states in this year and 2019, but because they were scheduled before January, those trips will reportedly not be affected.

Check back for updates.

Andrew Wild is the assistant sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @andrewwild17.

Because of misinformation from a source, a previous version of this article incorrectly stated that the Cal women’s basketball team was discussing games in Kansas. In fact, it was the Cal men’s basketball team.

• Gaspipe Casso

My girlfriend and I (both small business owners) with 9 employees between us are leaving this state come May and none to happier for it. See ya California!