Vice Chancellor of Equity and Inclusion Na’ilah Nasir to resign in June

nasir-photo

Vice Chancellor of Equity and Inclusion Na’ilah Nasir will resign from her position June 15 in order to assume the role of president of the Spencer Foundation, an educational research foundation, announced interim Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Carol Christ in an email to the campus.

Nasir has held the vice chancellor of equity and inclusion position since November 2015. During her tenure, she reorganized the financing of the Equity and Inclusion division in order to better serve campus academic units, established the STEM Diversity Initiative, created the Chicanx/Latinx Task Force and developed plans for the establishment of the African American Initiative, including the creation of the Fannie Lou Hamer Black Resource Center, according to the email.

“(Nasir) has approached her work with tenacity and sensitivity, all the while maintaining a sense of humor in the midst of difficult situations,” Christ said in the email. “She will be missed, but I have every confidence that the strong and capable team that Na’ilah put in place will continue working towards the legacy of advocacy, collaboration, engagement, and partnership that she so effectively modeled for the campus.”

According to campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof, five of the 21 cabinet-level administrators — the highest level of administration — are currently being filled in the interim. Two of these positions are currently being held by other members of the cabinet.

Some top administrators, including Chancellor Nicholas Dirks, are in the last several months of their tenures. Mogulof said several of the cabinet positions will not be permanently replaced until the campus’s new chancellor begins their term.

An internal search for Nasir’s replacement will begin in the “very near future,” according to the email.

Pressly Pratt is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @presslypratt.