Violence as self-defense

coloredited_isabelledoerschlag_opinionspread
Isabelle Doerschlag/Staff

Last week, a violent protest erupted on campus, in response to a scheduled speaking event by Milo Yiannopoulos. Many people soon began to decry the protesters. Here are a few arguments in favor of the use of violence in protests.

Op-ed: Check your privilege when speaking of protests

To people with platforms who decide when a protest should and should not be violent: You speak from a place of immense privilege. As I recently wrote in a tirade against this brand of idiocy, asking people to maintain peaceful dialogue with those who legitimately do not think their lives matter is a violent act.

— Nisa Dang,
UC Berkeley alumna

Op-Ed: Violence helped ensure safety of students

We share our stories and provide insight to the reality of the flawed immigration system. To out us is to remove that agency from us. It allows those with power  —  for example, those with a million followers  —  to twist our stories against us.

— Juan Prieto,
undocumented student, organizer and former layout designer at the Daily Californian

Op-Ed: Black bloc did what campus should have

The bloc was made up of people with the most to fight for and the most to lose.

— Neil Lawrence,
former Daily Cal columnist

Op-Ed: Condemning protesters same as condoning hate speech

I put my safety and my freedom on the line because letting Yiannopoulos speak was more terrifying to me than potential injury or arrest.

— Desmond Meagley
reporter and illustrator for Youth Radio

Op-Ed: Plurality of tactics contributed to cancellation of Milo Yiannopoulos event

In short: The principle of freedom of speech should not be extended to envelop freedom of hate speech, for the unchecked normalization of hate speech will have real consequences.

— Josh Hardman,
UC Berkeley student

Haruka Senju is the opinion editor. Contact him at [email protected].

• ED

Ok, I have *the* solution…

Anyone caught rioting gets an 8 year prison sentence without the possibility of parole.

That way they can have something they understand (time outs) and we can have some eff-ing peace and quiet and get on with our lives.

Let em ride out Trumps term(s) in the clink and let em out on January 20, 2020 or 2024 if he gets re-elected.

Done.

• IAintHappy

Let me get this straight… You’re redefining speech you don’t like as “violence” towards you simply because you don’t want to hear it nor have anyone else hear it (classic reactionary mentality). So that justifies you engaging in actual offensive violence against anyone you presume supports speech you don’t like.

You are a sick sick person Haraku, and you have no clue what the First Amendment nor much of the rest of the Bill of Rights is about, none. People who think like you have been destroying freedom on and off for centuries. You’re not a warrior for the rights of the people. You’re a thug, a brute, and the newest manifestation of Fascism in the West.

• MBII

Preach

• pezcleo

That was subject of one Milo’s talk previously.

• Deplorable Rican ☨ʳᵉᵈᵉᵉᵐᵉᵈ

I’m sure the Brownshirt’s had a bunch of nice sounding reasons for their violence as well.

• Southern Hounds

Discrediting the left is child’s play. No help needed.

• Nathan Kayhan

Actually, it is hierarchy and capitalism that is child’s play to critique. Capitalism is a system that rewards those who most ruthlessly extract value from their property, including the temporary property that are wage-slaves, most with more property to exploit. It creates a hierarchy whether the least kind have the most power, and the most kind the least.

• RU_Serious

Uh-huh, and the alternative is…? How is the socialist revolution working out in Venezuela?

• Nathan Kayhan

The alternative is anarcho-pacifist revolution!

• RU_Serious

How’s that working out in Somalia?

• Nathan Kayhan

It’s not working out in Somalia at all because that area is dominated by war lords. There isn’t really an anarcho-pacifist movement there.

• RU_Serious

There’s no anarcho-pacifist movement anywhere, and if one ever existed anywhere in history it had the half-life of Hydrogen-7. The philosophy behind it requires humans to act, well, like non-humans. It’s fantasy fiction, not reality.

And if you want Exhibit A on why it can’t work see those black-clad neo-fascists who rampaged through Berkeley assaulting people and breaking and burning things.

• Nathan Kayhan

Obviously the people acting violently aren’t pacifists, so they’re not an example of why it can’t work. They’re an example of why violence is counterproductive.

Who are YOU to define human nature for the rest of us? Only fools think that human nature is some fixed, static thing. Indeed, the very notion of a “human nature” is a Stirnian Spook! As Nietzche said,

>I teach you the overman. Man is something that shall be overcome. What have you done to overcome him? …. All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment…
            ~Thus Spoke Zarathustra

• Ipsophakto

Bring toilet paper

• Southern Hounds

Capitalism rewards those who 1) prepare, and 2) put forth the requisite effort. I’ll bet you have an iPhone in your pocket. Name the socialistic enterprise that created it.

Then you can move in with The Bern in his $600K lakeside villa. There’s your concentration of power.

• Nathan Kayhan

Don’t you think it advantages those who already control capital?

• Lon Mead

You tell us. You have capital.

• Nathan Kayhan

The answer is obviously “yes”.

• Lon Mead

Then I suggest you take advantage of it the way you see fit (“capitalism” you see, is a slur used by Marx to describe the free market) and allow others to do the same.

• Nathan Kayhan

So you’re suggesting that I enslave others who happened to be born with less privilege than me? Certainly, I am forced by the realities of the economy I find myself in to leverage my capital to some extent, but I am far from a willing participant, and am committed to anarcho-pacifist revolution.

• Lon Mead

No, I’m not suggesting that, and I’d be surprised if you could. And willing or otherwise, you are a participant. Actually, when you’re paying to go to a school like Berkeley and say that you’re an “unwilling participant”, you look like you might be missing something. You’re attending university to increase your knowledge and therefore your value. Also known as increasing your “privilege”.

But we’re wandering way off-topic here. Interesting discussion potential, though.

• Nathan Kayhan

I don’t go to Cal, or any university actually.

• Lon Mead

To be honest, then, at the very least, you should audit some classes (philosophy seems to be your interest). You have a start on some excellent debate and reasoning skills (even if I disagree with your premise!). You should cultivate them.

• Nathan Kayhan

The University is no longer a philosophical institution! It is no longer a place for free thought! I cultivate these skills whenever I engage in (internet) dialectics, which is often.

• Lon Mead

Well, as much as I might be inclined to agreement, that’s a dodge, and you should recognize it as such

• Nathan Kayhan

I’m pretty sure you’re the one who just made a baseless assertion. Apparently at Cal, “the greatest public university in the world”, violent thugs will pelt you with rocks and fireworks and spray mace in your face if they deem you to be a fascist. Clearly Cal is not a safe place for philosophers. What university would you recommend I attend instead?

• Lon Mead

I didn’t make a “baseless assertion”. If it’s your choice not to attend any schools, that’s up to you.

• Nathan Kayhan

Well you seemed to be implying that school is a place to develop one’s critical faculties. Maybe it was at one time, and maybe some schools still are, but in my experience it’s just a big racket at this point. Postmodernism and its rejection of dialectics has rendered the University a farce, a sad parody of itself!

• Lon Mead

No, I didn’t make a “baseless assertion”. If you don’t want to attend a school, that’s for you. In my opinion, though, if you allow a fear of violence (and what you’re describing is very, very rare) to keep you from attending a program of your choice, then you grant far too much power to others, and do yourself a disservice. You never know the strength of your ideas until you’ve subjected them to scrutiny.

• Nathan Kayhan

I absolutely agree that ideas should be subjected to scrutiny, but I am skeptical that universities as they exist today is the place to do that. Indeed, if I knew of a program in the true dialectical tradition, and I could feasibly attend it, I would.

• Lon Mead

This, I believe, is another reason why I think Berkeley (and especially these op-eds in The Daily Californian) shot itself in the foot, presenting itself as a place where views are judged according to an unwritten standard, and opposing views are rejected as unacceptable. I know a couple of professors at Berkeley that would welcome the dynamic you might bring.

• Nathan Kayhan

For instance, do you know of a program where I could openly and forcefully criticize feminism and postmodernism, queer theory and empiricism, and also be a radical leftist, an anarcho-pacifist without being shunned and constantly undermined by my profs and peers?

• Lon Mead

Sounds like questions you’d need to ask individual schools and the students that go there. Oberlin might be one idea. University of Chicago another. If you feel strongly enough about the ideas, the right environment helps, but don’t limit yourself.

• Nathan Kayhan

Well my current belief is that University is basically a trap for smart people to keep them isolated in their ivory towers, competing with each other for limited positions and resources, and getting bogged down in ansilary studies, instead of effectively engaging in a broader discussion about the major problems we’re encountering, and getting everyone engaged in solving those problems. All this public/tuition money is going to expensive “research”, when what we really need is for people to be freed from wage-slavery so they can have thouhhtful, extended dialectial discussions , and time to do relevant research. Then we might be able to come to some sort of general consensus, and even perhaps effectively act, but as we have it trolls like Milo and black bloc people are taking over campus, making thoughtful and nuanced discussion impossible.

• Lon Mead

It’s not for everybody, and to an extent, I’ll agree it’s a racket. I’d say the majority of what higher education “teaches” can be found for free at your local library. And the structures that have led to tuition inflation have gotten way out of hand. But I’m not ready to condemn the whole system yet. Just need to find a way to fix what’s broken (difficult, but not impossible, in my opinion).

• Nathan Kayhan

I respect your position. I don’t know about every college, of course.

• Lon Mead

A genuine pleasure to make your acquaintance. Hope you get what you after (well, maybe not that anarcho-pacifist stuff 😉). Be well, brother.

• Douglas Bonham

St. Thomas Aquinas College in L.A. As long as you didn’t blaspheme, they would let you stay and learn. And they are very well acquainted with philosophy of all branches, from Aristotle on. If you’re really a Gnostic, they would debate you, and you couldn’t be a graduate because there’s likely some Catholic theology course requirement that you ipso facto could not pass. But they aren’t afraid of those with differing views auditing classes, if they behave with due decorum.

• Nathan Kayhan

Or a university where radical Gnostic Christians are accepted? Certainly there are thinkers in these fields, but the available undergraduate programs just seem extremely hostile to free thought.

• phone2000

If u are the product of this university u got ripped off…u have been spewing leftism

• Nathan Kayhan

Many people seek to gain knowledge not to increase their value in the labor marketplace, but to gain the intellectual tools necessary to effectively challenge the powers that be.

• Lon Mead

Then in your case, you are seeking to increase your value in the marketplace of ideas. The difference is only one of terminology. Anything you do to improve yourself adds value to yourself, and sometimes, has the collateral effect of improving the world around you.

Whatever your reasons, keep building on your education, and pay attention to the lessons that life teaches you.

• DCPizzaIsSatan

That’s darling!

• Southern Hounds

Anyone can acquire/control capital. Ask Tom Steyer. Or George Soros.

• Pole_cat

Niall Fergusons “Civilization: The West and the rest” is a very enlightened look at the New World West, especially his comparison of the “New World Twins” North and South America. They were almost identical twins, having the same indigenous populations, natural resources, weather and potential for cultivation, yet they couldn’t have grown up to be more different. Why? INDIVIDUAL private property rights of American Individualism vs. the Old World Colonialism and Servitude of South America. Old World Tribalism vs. American Individualism, it really is just that simple. PBS turned it into a splendid show well worth watching and Niall is a pretty straight shooter, but being a Brit he has a couple socialist blind spots. Be that as it may, he likes to talk about the “Killer Apps” developed in N. America, it’s some very insightful stuff. I contend you need a “Killer OS” for the apps to work and N. Americas “Killer OS”, not seen anywhere else was ‘Individual Free Will’. Individual private property rights and Individual Free Will are two sides of the same coin. Individual Free Will means that your Individual effort and energy even your Individual thoughts are all Capital and YOURS to control. But in South America all you had was the same old colonial servitude, universal Tribalism and SLAVERY for the immigrants and indigenous alike.

• Nathan Kayhan

>They [North and South America] were almost identical twins, having the same indigenous populations, natural resources, weather and potential for cultivation, yet they couldn’t have grown up to be more different.

That is one of the most ignorant statements I’ve ever heard! They have totally different climates, geographies, and cultural histories. Get out of here with that BS!

Certainly the differences between English (and to a lesser degree French and Dutch, and an even lesser degree Scandinavian and German) and Spanish/Portuguese culture and institutions played a major role in how North and South American history respectively developed, but to think of it as some some sort of scientific experiment that proves the merit of Northern European/English values is absurd! Also, are you just ignoring the devastating effects of the Monroe Doctrine and American/European imperialism on Latin America?

• Pole_cat

The ONLY thing that is NOT Slavery is Individual Free Will. You see, back in the day, Individual Free Will was ONLY tolerated (if at all) in its religious context, but the
            Pilgrims elevated it to a universal concept. This one particular religion (Judeo Christian) was/is persecuted relentlessly for good reason, the fear that this idea of Individual Free Will would escape the confines of religion and destroy the power structures of servitude and Tribalism. Up until this point EVERYONE was a Slave or subject (property) of the crown or beholden to a tribe or in the case of Islam -Slaves to the will of Allah. The idea that someone could, or more importantly, SHOULD BE ALLOWED to go it alone, was right up there with “guess what, the Earth ain’t flat”. The ONLY thing that South America did not have was Individual Free Will.

• Nathan Kayhan

>The ONLY thing that is NOT Slavery is Individual Free Will.

Amen! This is why Capitalism is incompatible with freedom! Any true Christian is an anarchist! The Kingdom of God Is Within You!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_anarchism

• RU_Serious

To be fair it was Bernie’s wife who made all the money in the family, mainly by running Burlington College so poorly it went bankrupt and defunct. But she milked it dry before it did!

• Southern Hounds

I seem to recall The Berns wife & the college. The optics about the villa weren’t that good. Hillary accepts nomination & soon thereafter The Bern has a new house.

If that had been Newt G, the world would have ended.

• Pole_cat

Corporate Capitalism, when you COLLECTIVIZE it, you lose that anchor of INDIVIDUAL morality and that is when it (unbridled capitalism) can all go off the rails, because there IS no such thing as Collective morality. Which by the way is the fatal flaw with ALL Leftist Collectivist Tribal ideologies. But I digress…

• Nathan Kayhan

The Illuminatus! Trilogy – Hagbard Celine on Privilege
          https://youtu.be/GQazJ-woQl0

• Pole_cat

White Privilege is Eugenics turned on its head. It’s based on the Leftist idea that not everyone is born equipped to have Individual Free Will foisted upon them. -YOU were accidentally born equipped to cope with life as a Free Individual. You have that natural born urge to be Free and this silly idea that it’s your right.- “How dare you think that everyone else is so lucky. THAT is White Privilege.” -Leftist insists that MOST people are born WITHOUT this Spirit of Individual Free Will, lacking both the ability and inclination to make their OWN decisions. So in the name of fairness, YOU must deny your Free Spirit and be enslaved, right along with all those who would prefer to be taken care of by their Leftist tribes as slaves, rather than live life Tribe-less as Free Individuals.

• Nathan Kayhan

I am opposed to tribalism myself! That clip isn’t about white privilege, but privilege in general, and then it also goes into economic privilege. Individualist anarchism and communism aren’t incompatible. Indeed, I feel that when people are free, the vast majority of them will work for the good of the community out of a sense of empathy and a recognition that by cooperating we can all live more satisfying, pleasurable lives. But capitalism forces us to compete with each other or else starve. It’s totally fucked; it perverts the human spirit, which is naturally charitable.

• phone2000

U are wrong….our nation did not get anything done on socialism…it was tried with first settlers…and sorry but there are risk takers and lazy…talented smart productive and do nothings the bible promotes a personal work ethic of daily diligence and each is rewarded according to work….read parable of the talents…Jesus rebuked a man for laziness…capitalism is a biblical value

• phone2000

Liberalism comes from the illuminatie…they want to control everything so they push liberalism which creates big government

• SylvieFeatherfoot

Original “liberalism,” as understood and largely practiced by the Founders and Framers, was a push to liberate the individual from governmental tyranny.

Leftists / progressives usurped the term, and stood its meaning in its head. Now they are reverting, properly, to identifying themselves as progressives. Liberal (freedom loving and generous of spirit) they are not.

• Ipsophakto

Oh, so that computer or phone you’re using to comment here is made by a ruthless company? You pathetic abject hypocrite. Nobody is holding a gun to your head. You’re free to be worthless.

• phone2000

Sorry but the only way poor can become rich is thru capitalism u are wrong

• DCPizzaIsSatan

“Investigate? We know who they are. Next question.” — Sean Spicer.

• Southern Hounds

You’ll rue the day you used violence as a defense.

• Dialogos68

There are 3,141 counties in the United States Trump won 3,084 of them…. This leaves a small group of large cities that support having our Nation run by bankers and technocrats at the UN, EU, IMF, WTO,etc… This is Fascism!!!

• Dialogos68

Billionaires hate Trump and support the DNC and open borders because their corporations make extra billions by hiring low wage foreign workers legal and illegal…. Look at Disney, they fired their entire US workforce and replaced them with lower wage H1 Visa foreign workers… Disney also owns ESPN and countless other networks and movie studios to peddle their deviant greedy propaganda… Imagine what Walt Disney would think of his company now as they sell the American worker out.
    Democrats and neo-con politicans are getting rich from donations from these same corporations! Thanks to left wingers and neo-con fools!!!!

More 18 to 29 year old snowflakes live with mommy and daddy than a partner….. You would think that these tools would see past fake employment data and how the Left have destroyed our economy… Yet as long as these self loathing snowflakes have their Google and Apple gadgets they are easily herded by their limousine liberal politicians…. This scenario is just like the movie IDIOCRACY!!!

The merging of Government and Large Corporations under Obama and neo-con Bush is pure fascism as they fleece the Western World!!!

• Hubert Smith

And billionaires and top-dog Dems will NEVER open their homes to Syrian immigrants. That’s the job of the un-washed (i.e., you and me).

• Dialogos68

Comments are being censored and erased!!!! Most comments defending free speech are being removed by the totalitarian left here at UofCal

• Hubert Smith

Shocking. Hee Hee! That’s the way they roll – for a little while longer.

• inthebellyofthebeast

Your argument being that “hate speech” should be censored? You find that to be ethically superior? I think you should ask for your money back from your last ethics class.

• Nathan Kayhan

I am arguing that Milo should have been allowed to speak and that opposition should have taken the form of effective argument/art and not violence.

• inthebellyofthebeast

Well then we are in agreement.
        Though the left’s argument’s in general lack merit and are hardly ethical within the context of a free society. But that’s another debate.

What would the purpose of distributing psychedelics be? How is that a form of protest? Rendering your supporters incoherent with dangerous illegal drugs does not seem to be either ethical or prudent.

All demonstrations should be outside of sanctioned free speech zones. Acknowledging the existence of such horrific spaces helps to legitimize them. A concept like free speech zones should be as repugnant to an American as the consumption of pork is to a Muslim.

• Nathan Kayhan

A capitalist society is inherently unfree, as the vast majority of people are relegated to wage-slavery. The point of distributing psychedelics is to open up people’s minds and force them to question their assumptions. I’m glad we agree about free speech zones.

>Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing. They open you up to the possibility that everything you know is wrong.
          ~Terence McKenna

• inthebellyofthebeast

Nobody is relegated to so called wage slavery. That notion has been disproved time and again.
            Well if you think distributing mind altering pharmaceuticals will in some way provide you with an advantage, be my guest.

Psychedelics are illegal because mother’s and father’s in their unwashed and unenlightened millions petitioned their congress people to make them illegal.
            That is historical fact.
            Anything else is mental masturbation. It might feel good, but it gets you nowhere and leaves you with a mess to clean up.
            ~Me

• phone2000

No capitalism is free markets and the freedom to be self employed or start a business,,,in every country it is in the standard of living goes up…god this college is a disappointment

• TeaPartyPagan

If capitalism is so bad, why have communist nations embraced it. Since China has embraced capitalism, the standard of living for those who actually participate in it has risen orders of magnitude, while those who don’t remain mired in poverty, exactly mirroring the experience in the US.

• TeaPartyPagan

Actually, the last time I checked, the entire country was a “free speech zone” The concept of government sanctioned free speech zones is an unconstitutional invention of the the recent, unlamented, authoritarian, Democrat regime we rejected in the last election. So yes, let them protest outside of the “Free Speech Zone” if they wish.

• RU_Serious

They can protest outside of the “free speech zone”, but the “free speech zone” is the closest they’re going to get to the thing they’re protesting. It is Constitutional to have time, place, and manner restrictions on free speech. Generally those are balanced between the right to protest and the right of others to use public spaces. There is no right to protest, for example, in Nancy Pelosi’s kitchen or inside the republican national Convention venue or in the secure areas that surround it.

• TeaPartyPagan

By “free speech zone” they mean prescribed areas in a public space where free speech is permitted, such as a 100′ x 100′ square in a public space where free speech is permitted. Free speech is permitted in all public areas. Now, an organized protest may require something like a parade permit, to aid in planning services to the area. Perhaps they mean violating the parade permit. A restriction to which they agreed. What does that say about “their word”?
            Your exceptions are noted, but they are considered not-public. A public venue, once rented, becomes private property for the duration of the lease, subject to conditions of the lease, which specify areas (including security zone) leased. Nancy Pelosi’s (or anyone else’s) kitchen is private property. A court room is public property, but is limited use; it is set aside for doing the business of government, therefore speech is limited.

• RU_Serious

My point is that the so-called “free speech zones” are not the only places free speech is permitted, it’s simply the closest protestors are allowed to the event they are protesting. IIRC the term originated during the 2004 RNC convention to refer to a designated area outside the secure areas where protestors were allowed. It didn’t mean free speech or protest wasn’t allowed elsewhere, that was just the closest to the RNC they were allowed.

• Hubert Smith

The writer seriously needs to look up the meaning of “fatuous.”

• inthebellyofthebeast

I’ll make my stand with the immigrant, Jewish, homosexual with the
    African American boyfriend. You guys go ahead and line up with the National Socialist
    thugs that broke up his lecture.
    The arch of history is on my side.

• RU_Serious

Finding scapegoats to blame for the problems in society and accusing them of using their privilege to oppress the people, and thus justifying violence against them has a familiar ring to it.

Hitler was just checking the privilege of Jews, right?

• Andrew

Violence begets violence

• DCPizzaIsSatan

Nah. We know how to solve this. May already been solved!

• sviri finq

I put my safety and my freedom on the line because letting Yiannopoulos
    speak was more terrifying to me than potential injury or arrest.

You need to have your head examined.

That you would commit violence, or be subjected to violence, over the simple exchange of ideas is stunning. Your stupidity is breathtaking. You represent exactly what America is not.

You ought to be locked up if you participated in anything other than peaceful protest.

• Bastiat_Fan

Congratulations, so-called “progressives.” You’ve become EXACTLY what you claim to oppose: FASCISTS. I hope you like brown. Or will the uniforms be red this time?

• Dialogos68

Yes…. ironic that the Nazis were also socialist too… Joseph Goebbels would be proud of today’s Left Wing progressive protester!!!

• Koolibog

I like the NinjaChic look… much better than drab brown, or those white robed, pointy headed dunce caps they wore when Democrats were happy owning and selling slaves…

• David Stephenson

I guess they’ve spent a lot of time poring over fashion mags and read you can’t go wrong with basic black.

• inthebellyofthebeast

Well then, since you approve of violence in defense of your ideals, I hope you will understand when I use that tactic to defend my ideals.
    I prefer .45 ACP and 5.56 mm.

• Gort

Believers in this garbage, please don’t waste precious earth resources or my time sending your resumes to my company. They go right in the trash. UC Berkley diplomas are now worthless.

• Thoughtful

SO thankful Trump has been elected and Breitbart elevated so that sanity can begin to return to America and absurd, Orwellian thinking like that in these articles can be seen for what it really is.

• Dialogos68

• KrustyReloaded👉ᴰᵉᵖᶫᵒʳᵃᵇᶫᵉ

…icles

• Dialogos68

There are 3,141 counties in the United States Trump won 3,084 of them…. This leaves a small group of large cities that support having our Nation run by bankers and technocrats at the UN, EU, IMF, WTo,etc… This is Fascism!!!

• Lon Mead

…imonial

• Dialogos68

CLASSIC LIBERAL –VS– PROGRESSIVE LIBERAL

Today’s Left-Wing progressives and neo-cons are unwitting fascist tools… A classic liberal or libertarian (like our Founding Fathers or the honorable MLK) believed in equality, FREEDOM OF SPEECH, limited government, a free market, liberty and sound Austrian economics. Progressives today believe in socialism, powerful government, censorship, massive debt via Keynesian economics and bureaucracies full of unelected leaders like the EU, UN, IMF, WTO, etc…

Socialism almost always leads to either fascism or communism. When Google visits Obama at the White House over 450 times, one must remember that Fascism is the melding of socialism with corporations (known as Corporatism). The Godfather of fascism (Benito Mussolini) specifically spoke of this combination! And Hitler perfected it…

In truth, the [email protected] were also socialist… [email protected] means “National Socialist”!!! Officially, they were the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei (NSDAP); National Socialist German Workers Party.

How ironic that the socialist EU (like the UN, Fed Reserve, IMF, FEC, FCC, etc…) has no democratically elected leaders…. The EU is nothing more than a banker conceived fascist police state… And progressives love the totalitarian bureaucracies like the EU, UN, and our looming One World government (NWO)… Joseph Goebbels would be so proud of today’s progressive liberal media and culture that dominates the Western World!!!

Understand… Our current financial issues and wealth inequality isn’t caused by a failure of free market capitalism, it’s caused by catastrophic Leftist Keynesian central bank policies that have instituted fractional banking with massive debt, nation building and war for fossil fuels, quantitative easing and job killing free trade.

But by blaming capitalism, leftists (socialist) who warn about wealth inequality are playing right into the elite’s hands – because their solution is going to be more power in the hands of the state and central banks, the very same people and policies which caused the problem in the first place.

• inthebellyofthebeast

You see the problem with using the term “Hate speech” is that the definition is some what slippery. What I call hate speech you might call a free expression of your beliefs.
    Rather slippery slope that is ripe for abuse by would be tyrants and manipulators.
    No. All, ALL speech must be protected.
    It is not the speech that is the right, its the freedom to make the speech that must be guarded.

• KrustyReloaded👉ᴰᵉᵖᶫᵒʳᵃᵇᶫᵉ

The Antifas would have been more credible had they burned down the entire campus in protest.

• inthebellyofthebeast

“Antifas” ?
      Hipster buzz word for intolerant thugs that have more in common with real Fascists than freedom loving Americans.

• KrustyReloaded👉ᴰᵉᵖᶫᵒʳᵃᵇᶫᵉ

Of course…

• Koolibog

Antifa needs to up their game if they are going to defeat Trump. Their efforts at Berkeley were pretty lame. Someone tell them we want to see bodies in the street… and burn those building DOWN… not just a little fire on the corner…c’mon!

Thank You,

George Soros

• plasmacutter

As a Jew, I find assertions of “privilege” leveled against whites eerily and disturbingly familiar, because this was the same line used in the 1930’s to eject jews from political discourse and justify violent abrogations of their rights.

It’s doubly ironic coming considering Berkeley is one of the most expensive and prestigious schools in the nation. Nobody attending gets to sling the word “privilege” without looking in the mirror.

There are 3 things one must do to enjoy “privilege” in the world’s riches nation, the USA:
    1 – finish high school
    2 – grab and keep any full time job
    3 – marry before having kids, then stay married.

That’s it! Do that and there’s only a 4% chance you will live in poverty for any extended period of time!

Maybe if you weren’t racists who viewed “white middle-americans” as some kind of occupying oppressor to be reviled, you could spend more time ticking off these 3 requirements and joining them in their quiet, idyllic suburbs.

• Ming Chris Luo

The problem is when all your 3 goals here are prevented by environment and economics, yes even the third. Being born into poverty isn’t easy. Even though we all hear of success stories of those rising from the ashes, we don’t often hear the many more depressing stories of systemic poverty and oppression.

• plasmacutter

Uhm.. I spent my childhood eating boxed corndogs.
        I had an abusive, unemployed stepdad and we survived only on my mother’s income.

The cars were hand-me-downs from extended family.
        I managed to get straight A’s despite the step-family drunkenly and loudly partying in the same room where I studied, took AP courses, went to college on loans, graduated with 2 degrees, and now make 6 figures.

During this process, I encountered systemic discrimination: Despite being the poorest kid in my residence hall, black kids from families rich enough to fly in on their own 737’s (like Trump does) were getting 30% more aid because of the color of their skin (or I was getting 30% less aid because of the color of mine)

Your mealy-mouthed whining doesn’t impress me, and your veiled demands for privilege based upon skin color ring hollow given not only my experience, but the statistical reality that roughly half of those in grinding poverty in the US are rural whites. They outnumber blacks and latinos, and depending on the year both combined. My, how “privileged” they are.

• Ming Chris Luo

I’ll say you do bring up a good point that rich families getting aid based on their skin color is messed up, but that’s an implementation problem that needs to be corrected. What aid are you talking about?

• plasmacutter

What needs to be rectified is race-based theories of “privilege”. It’s racist bs and needs to go.

• Douglas Bonham

Couple of things.
    1. Thanks to the Daily Californian for sticking their necks out and running this collection of editorial opinions. They have shot themselves in the foot, and they have also seriously damaged the reputation of the UC faculty and administration who are coddling them.
    2. The comments section is good fodder for the FBI.
    3. The Antifas look well organized and equipped. They arrived at Berkeley campus en masse which shows organization. In the riots which followed, they displayed cooperative effort with each other, as if following a plan. The core group appeared to be in some kind of Blackshirt uniform, generally black in color, and some had purple bandanas. They had identical helmets, looking somewhat like British Tommy helmets of WWI. They had good sturdy black boots, which is similar to the Sixties, when these roving anarchist gangs used to go around from campus to campus in actual hobnailed boots.
    4. The appearance of the color purple is significant. It was prominent in the Women’s March, and seems to cropping up at numerous Blackshirt/Antifa actions around the country. This is a sign of the involvement of George Soros and his USA color revolution.
    5. These Antifas were the same ones doing minor violence, post election. You can see them in the most significant violence and property destruction, in Portland. In Portland, a crowd of demonstrators, maybe not the Blackshirts themselves, tried to block the Burnside Bridge. A carful of gang bangers tried to go west, was blocked, so a gang banger pulled out his pistol and shot one of them in the legs. In these demos, the Blackshirts do individual and group property damage and assaults, and when a mob decides to do something like block a bridge or take a building, they lead them in, then disappear.
    6. The violence at a) University of WA Seattle anti-Milo demo, b) Portland c) UC Davis anti Milo demo, d) Berkeley anti Milo riot, e) Antifa attack on Klan in Anaheim, f) Antifa attack on Trad Workers in Sacramento looks like it’s done by the same group, moving city to city. West coast cadre.
    7. The FBI and DHS were probably hindered from infiltrating them and busting them and their financial source, likely Soros, in the Obama era. No more.

• Ryan Smith

I’d like to applaud the DailyCal for making it obvious beyond question now that the left actually does endorse violence, and that the actions of Antifa can no longer be blamed on a handful of bad apples. This will be the most widely read opinion section you’ve ever released.

You were only ever in favor of free speech as long as you liked the speech. Some of us already knew this, but now everyone will.

• lspanker

I’d like to applaud the DailyCal for making it obvious beyond question now that the left actually does endorse violence, and that the actions of Antifa can no longer be blamed on a handful of bad apples.

That last point needs to be emphasized…

• TimeTraveler

Berkeley is a pretty interesting city to live in, despite the ultra-progressive tendencies. They do get tiresome. The city is inept at doing anything about the homeless population there and the spillover of violence at the border with Oakland. I suspect these student who wrote these Op-eds are too far gone to see anything other than way they see, they can only see things through the lens of power and historical injustices. Yes, they may dominate the Op-ed pieces today but they don’t dominate the political system. Not yet, at least, they were in part staved off. The choice of illustration used for this article is demonstrative of their moral conceit and their narrow-mindedness. That any objective observer could confuse the KKK and Trad Workers Party with Milo is unfortunate, yet Op-eds such as these feed that ignorant beast. Planned, organised violence as self-defence against a sometimes catty free speech conservative? These people are so dumb and that’s why Milo is effective at lampooning them. They don’t understand that the vast majority of people do not want to see trans or other folk harmed. But it’s “no persecution, no privilege”. Stop trying to correct historical wrongs with your warped logic and vestigial sense of struggle. Check YOUR privilege, we’ve all had enough of you.

• wigglesworth

violence to shut down words you dont like. so does that apply to everyone? or only when its speech you dont like?

its really hard to take them seriously when they refuse to have a discussion about anything. notice par for the course is get a mob, and use violence/shout down your opponent? i thought college kids were smart. this is how we got trump in the first place, and you’re just making sure theres going to be another 4 years of him because you all refuse to behave like adults. intellectually stunted children and nothing more. you know its because you know your ideas dont hold water, and thats why you dont even want to bother with discussion.

• Rurik

Never though I see some much defense of fascist behavior and actions in a online publication in the U.S. What is wrong with these students and university that this type of believe is coming out and classical liberals values are being pushed out? It’s disgusting as the day past more and more that ideas like freedom of speech. people being judged by their character, not their skin color, freedom of religion and other noble values are being pushed out. Today’s progressivism or left has become a faux-moral movement, hurling charges of racism, bigotry, xenophobia, homophobia, Islamophobia and a slew of other meaningless buzzwords at anyone they disagree with. The battle of ideas has been replaced by a battle of feelings, and outrage has replaced honesty. Diversity reigns supreme , well as long as it’s not that pesky diversity of thought.

• isaacfernertner

Sorry, I’ve decided to side with the Jewish gay immigrant who has an African-American boyfriend, not the hypnotized zombie-boys in black masks who were clubbing people who hold different points of view.

• Dude67

Violence against words is not self-defense. It’s terrorism.

• Newspeaktogo

How do the protesters know that Milo spews hate speech? I’ve listened to Milo and not one word of hate speech was spoken. Protesters have been brain washed. That’s the reason that the majority of U.S citizens are against the protesters actions.

• Julio Weigend

Combating words you don’t like with violence=fascism. No if, ands, or buts about it. You idiots are killing the credibility of the left, and the country will be worse for it.

• KrustyReloaded👉ᴰᵉᵖᶫᵒʳᵃᵇᶫᵉ

Well now… I thought that the rioters were employed by Breitbart…

• Hajjster

Haruka, there is no reason to advocate for violence. Period. You are destroying a political movement by preparing to hand it over to those who will be much more violent than the “oh, only a few people got beaten up” apologetics that you’re publishing. Furthermore, you don’t want the other side to react, because they have firearms and will claim “self-defense” just as you are. The Black Bloc will turn red.

• i_like_trains

“Beating People who are mean on twitter is totally justified!” writes the SJW before tweeting #killallmen and #killallwhitepeople

• MBII

There is something deeply wrong with you if you are trying this hard to justify a riot over somebody speaking. Absolutely pathetic. It’s no surprise looking at the clowns you have as columnists for this rag.

• Marthin Lukas

ROUND UP THE ILLEGALS!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAH INCOMING ICE!!!

• bach

“Antifa”. That means Fascist-Anti, doesn’t it? They sure seem to be comfortable adopting the tactics of the Fascists. Especially when any idea, however mundane, that you don’t happen to like is branded hate speech.

• Kekchanistan

ANTIFA means anti First Amendment.

• lspanker

Perfect – that’s what we need to remind them every time they use that moniker to describe themselves.

• MarvLS1

The antifas are the fascists. And if they’re going to condone violence, then that gives their targets the right to fight back with violence. The result will be anarchy, followed by martial law, followed by totalitarianism – which is exactly what the Soros-New World Order wants.

If you rioters really want freedom, stop letting yourselves be manipulated by tyrannical fascist scum like George Soros and the other demagogues who have you all in a tizzy over NOTHING!

Grow up, before you end up creating a far worse situation than you imagine exists now.

• DCPizzaIsSatan

No it won’t. Our side is about restraint, justice, law, and order. We don’t go low. But be will crush domestic terrorism handily, legally, and without exception. Never know, it may have already been crushed.

• Eugene Tkachev

Thank you guys for dropping the masks, now a whole world can see what you are indeed like watermelons, green outside, but red ☭ inside.This is the year, when you are done.

• jabuchan08

Preemptive self defense is just a too cute way of saying “aggression”

• Pablo Jay

Violence in the name of peace.
    Name-calling instead of discussing issues.
    Preaching instead of listening.
    Hate instead of tolerance.
    The left is insane.

• Amor DeCosmos

When is it OK to stop freedom of speech with violence? Has terrorism ever been effective in changing the minds of people? The Anitfa are the fascists, the Antifa are the terrorists. When your ideology compels you to violently oppose anyone with different ideas than yours, then your point is completely lost on those who do not share your ideology.

• MosesZD

That’s not self defense. See, if I hit you, or try to hit you, and you hit back, that’s self defense. What you did was thuggery. Shameful thuggery. And no matter how much lipstick you put on that pig, it’s a pig.

• calbeck

“Here’s why I think Fascism is okay when people whose ideas I don’t like enjoy the freedom of speech Berkeley was once famous for.”

• B.J.D

So my takeaway from all this feedback is the next time I attend an event where “antifa” protesters might show up I will bring my concealed firearm with.

• RU_Serious

That’s exactly what happened at a Washington Milo speech, and an antifa ended up with a bullet in his gut when he attacked the wrong person. No prosecution, as this was legal self defense not the fantasy self-defense this article promotes.

• Bertrude

Why don’t you chaps send your national guard in and shoot them, they justify violence

• Jay Smith

You are playing with fire with this kind of attitude. Keep acting like a savage and eventually the rest of us will treat you like one.

• Survunata

Y’all need to go to prison, and in a world of Big bad waaacist Fascist Trump I reckon you Commie nutters will be there before you know it. He has outsmarted your idiot politicians at every turn, and you will fall easily into the first trap he specifically lays out for you.