Funniest fruits to eat like an apple during class

blogproduce_heather_feibleman_staff
Heather Feibleman/Staff

We’ve all been there. Sitting in class, suddenly getting ravenous, but having nothing to eat except the same boring old apple that’s been in our bag for days. And since we’ve been there too, we know how a single piece of fruit can totally make or break someone’s day. So, in order to alleviate your apple boredom, today we at the Clog have compiled a list of the funniest fruits to eat like an apple during class. So read on, and find your snack problem solved.

1. Cucumbers
Full of fiber and vitamins, cucumbers are the perfect snack to eat when hunger strikes. They offer a wonderful balance between crunchy and soft, juicy textures. Because cucumbers are also full of natural juices, they’re basically the ideal two-in-one snack — while they’re something to munch on, they’re also a means of getting hydrated. And your classmates will have a hearty giggle watching you work on your cuke.

2. Tomatoes
Juicy, delicious and nutritious, tomatoes are ideal for satiating those pesky hunger pangs that arise during class. Much like cucumbers, tomatoes are full of water, making them a perfect snack. Since tomatoes are usually red, they kind of look like apples, but they’re really not. Finally, here’s a pro tip: Sprinkle some salt onto your fruit as you eat it to bring out the tomato’s sweetness. You’ll love watching people figure out that you’re not actually eating an apple.

3. Asian pears
Asian pears taste like a wondrous blend of two delicious fruits — the apple and the pear (in case it wasn’t obvious enough from the name). They have the mild, sweet flavor of the pear and the signature crunchy crispness of the apple. Asian pears look a lot like apples, just with a bizarrely different color scheme of mixed tans and yellows. These fruits are the perfect choice for those who want a break from the apple flavor but still want people to think they’re eating an apple.

4. Bananas
Cheap and accessible as well as full of potassium and fiber, bananas are perfect for busy students on a budget. The fiber in bananas is ideal for quickly satisfying your hunger right before heading in to a four-hour lab session with no breaks. An added bonus is the fact that you’ll never have to worry about whether the fruit is clean or not, as the banana comes in its very own natural packaging that shields it from any possible pathogens, which you’ll be thinking about as you sink your teeth right into that thick, beautiful skin.

5. Strawberries
Strawberries are known for being full of antioxidants and vitamin C, which makes them a great snack choice to fend off those annoying cold and flu symptoms that are so common these days. The soft, bitable texture of these fruits also makes them ideal for people who like to secretly snack (i.e. without the loud crunching sound that apples always produce). You can definitely eat these fruits like an apple – simply take smaller, mouse-sized bites instead of popping whole pieces of fruit into your mouth for a more authentic apple-eating feel.

Contact Judy Shan at [email protected].