Almond citrus olive oil cake

Avanti Mehrotra/Staff

My sister and I watched our mom try the olive oil cake we had just made. We held our breath as our mom looked up and stopped chewing. Worried that it didn’t turn out well, we waited for the verdict. My mom, however, broke into a big smile and exclaimed, “It’s amazing!” My sister and I jumped up to cut ourselves a slice, and once I finished my first slice, I cut myself another, and another … okay, no one needs to keep count. The point is, although we messed up here and there in the recipe, this adaptation of Giada De Laurentiis citrus olive oil cake was one of the best desserts we’ve ever baked from scratch, and you’ll most definitely feel the same way.

What you’ll need:

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 ⅓ teaspoon baking powder

⅔ cup brown sugar

2 eggs

3 teaspoons orange zest

1 teaspoon lemon zest

⅙ cup 1 percent milk

½ cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)

4/9 cup sliced almonds, ground

What you’ll do:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Gently mix the flour and baking powder together. 

Avanti Mehrotra/Staff

2. Crack the eggs into a separate bowl, grate the orange and lemon peels and put the zest in the same bowl. 

Avanti Mehrotra/Staff

3. Add the brown sugar to the eggs and zest, then beat the mixture on low speed until pale. While beating the mixture, pour in the milk.

Avanti Mehrotra/Staff

4. Slowly add in the EVOO while continuing to beat the wet ingredients. 

Avanti Mehrotra/Staff

5. Stir the sugar, egg, milk and oil mixture with the dry ingredients.

Avanti Mehrotra/Staff

6. Chop the sliced almonds, grind them into small chunks and add them into the cake batter.

IMG_7813-1

Avanti Mehrotra/Staff

7. Pour the batter into a nonstick pan and bake for 35 minutes. Don’t over-bake the cake, or it will come out dry. 

Avanti Mehrotra/Staff

8. Once the cake has cooled, you can sift powdered sugar on the top for decoration.

Orange-you-glad you read this recipe? This cake gives New York (famous for their olive oil cakes) a run for their money. And if you’re like me, you won’t be satisfied after eating only one slice of this dessert.

Contact Avanti Mehrotra at [email protected].