Suspect arrested in connection with alleged battery near People’s Park

alerts_DapreeDoyle_file
Dapree Doyle/File

UCPD arrested an assailant on suspicion of battery, resisting arrest and violation of parole Friday afternoon.

UCPD received a report about 12:27 p.m. Friday from a male victim who alleged that he had been punched in the face near People’s Park. According to UCPD spokesperson Sgt. Sabrina Reich, after officers arrived at the scene, they began a block search for the suspect who had fled from the area on foot. The suspect, identified as Curtis Garner, was later found by Willard Park.

Garner, 37, was arrested about 1:16 p.m. on misdemeanor charges for battery and resisting arrest, in addition to a felony charge of violating his parole. He was booked about 6:06 p.m. and is being held at Santa Rita Jail without bail.

According to Reich, the victim sustained minor injuries, but was able to call the police and help identify Garner as the suspect. Reich said officers were unaware of Garner’s motive for the alleged battery.

Garner is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday morning at the Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse in Oakland.

Contact Ella Jensen and Aleah Jennings-Newhouse at [email protected].

• Usb Cable

Diversity is our greatest strength.

• Nunya Beeswax

The campus recently indicated plans to turn People’s Park into housing. Let’s hope they stick to it this time.

• nobody

Where’s mo’ problem? The brotha was bored and just had some fun with the cracka .