2 suspects at large after attempted armed robbery, manhunt

shooting1_dDoyle_ss
Dapree Doyle/Senior Staff

Two suspects remain at large after an attempted armed robbery and a subsequent manhunt conducted by Berkeley and Oakland Police Departments.

About 5:30 p.m., BPD received a report of an attempted robbery at gunpoint on the 2800 block of Piedmont Avenue, according to BPD spokesperson Sgt. Andrew Frankel. After the incident, the suspect in the robbery and one other fled the scene in a dark sedan, Frankel said.

A BPD officer later spotted the vehicle and attempted to stop it. A short pursuit ensued and the suspect’s vehicle was chased into Oakland, according to Frankel.

During the course of the pursuit, the suspect vehicle was involved in two collisions — one with a parked car and another with a motorist. No one was harmed. The suspects drove the car up onto the curb on the 5600 block of Oak Grove Avenue and then abandoned the car, fleeing on foot.

Officers from BPD and OPD searched an extensive area in Rockridge until 9 p.m. but were unable to locate the suspects, Frankel said. According to Frankel, several streets in the area were closed.

Frankel described the first suspect as a 6-foot-tall Black male, 15 to 20 years old. There is currently no description of the second suspect.

As of 9:30 p.m., police were still at the scene examining the abandoned vehicle.

Detectives are working to identify the suspects and BPD is encouraging community members with information about the incident to call the Berkeley Police Robbery Detail at 510-981-5741.

Jessica Lynn is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @jessicailynn.