Berkeley Police Department arrests suspect in connection with auto burglaries

alerts_DapreeDoyle_file
Dapree Doyle/File

Berkeley Police Department arrested a suspected chronic auto burglar Thursday morning, according to a BPD Nixle alert.

BPD’s communications center received a report of a suspicious person who appeared to be casing parked cars in the area of Grant Street and University Avenue about 4:11 a.m. Thursday, the alert said. Officers responded to the scene and found the suspect, identified as Vanderrick Vickers, a 36-year-old Berkeley resident. The alert alleged that Vickers is a “prolific burglar.”

“While searching Vickers, officers … found suspected methamphetamine and credit cards in someone else’s name in his pockets,” the alert said. “A Patrol Sergeant checked the name on the credit cards and traced their owner to a residence on the 2100 block of Sacramento Street.”

According to the alert, officers were dispatched to the owner’s address, where they found evidence of a recent auto burglary.

Vickers was arrested on suspicion of possession of stolen property, auto burglary, prowling and possession of methamphetamine, the alert said.

According to online records from the Alameda County Courthouse, Vickers’ occupation is a salesman. He was booked about 9:03 a.m. and is currently being held in Berkeley Jail on a $40,000 bond. Vickers is scheduled to be arraigned Feb. 21 at Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse.

The alert emphasized BPD’s gratitude to the community for the tip about the suspicious suspect. It encouraged the public to call BPD at 510-981-5900 about any suspicious activities.

“This arrest would not have been possible without the support of an engaged and aware Community,” the alert said.

Check back for updates.

Chantelle Lee is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.