Berkeley Police Department arrests suspect in connection with auto burglaries

alerts_DapreeDoyle_file
Dapree Doyle/File

Berkeley Police Department arrested a suspected chronic auto burglar Thursday morning, according to a BPD Nixle alert.

BPD’s communications center received a report of a suspicious person who appeared to be casing parked cars in the area of Grant Street and University Avenue about 4:11 a.m. Thursday, the alert said. Officers responded to the scene and found the suspect, identified as Vanderrick Vickers, a 36-year-old Berkeley resident. The alert alleged that Vickers is a “prolific burglar.”

“While searching Vickers, officers … found suspected methamphetamine and credit cards in someone else’s name in his pockets,” the alert said. “A Patrol Sergeant checked the name on the credit cards and traced their owner to a residence on the 2100 block of Sacramento Street.”

According to the alert, officers were dispatched to the owner’s address, where they found evidence of a recent auto burglary.

Vickers was arrested on suspicion of possession of stolen property, auto burglary, prowling and possession of methamphetamine, the alert said.

According to online records from the Alameda County Courthouse, Vickers’ occupation is a salesman. He was booked about 9:03 a.m. and is currently being held in Berkeley Jail on a $40,000 bond. Vickers is scheduled to be arraigned Feb. 21 at Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse.

The alert emphasized BPD’s gratitude to the community for the tip about the suspicious suspect. It encouraged the public to call BPD at 510-981-5900 about any suspicious activities.

“This arrest would not have been possible without the support of an engaged and aware Community,” the alert said.

Check back for updates.

Chantelle Lee is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.

• StanFromSomewhere

The rest of the story:

Warrant Arrest and Fraudulent Checks: On May 30, 2012, at approximately 3:59 p.m. Officers
    were dispatched to the 200 block of Dartford for a smoke investigation at a vacant home. When
    Officers arrived they located 31 year old Vanderrick Vickers inside the house. While on scene, 39
    year old Leisha Griffin arrived at the residence. She had an outstanding warrant from this agency.
    The residence is in foreclosure and red tagged by the City of Hercules. Fraudulent checks were
    located with Vickers as the payee. Both were arrested, interviewed and transported to Martinez
    Detention Facility.

http://www.ci.hercules.ca.us/documents/CM/_Weekly/2012/06-04-12/Report.pdf

Berkeley Police Arrest Man With a History of Burglary

Posted on October 25, 2007 by brambila

By Andrea V. BrambilaA man carrying a crowbar, a multi-tool with pliers, a flashlight, and a black glove in a residential neighborhood was arrested for possession of burglary tools early Tuesday morning.At 3:17 a.m., a robbery was reported in the area of San Pablo Avenue and University Avenue. Police stopped Vanderrick Vickers, 26, who matched the description of the suspect and whom an officer recognized from a previous case. A records search revealed Vickers was on felony five-year probation for burglary and possession of stolen property. He had also been arrested several times for the same crimes and for possession of burglary tools. The terms of Vickers’ probation contained a search clause. When police searched Vickers’ backpack and found the tools, the suspect volunteered that he had used the crowbar to break into his uncle’s car, a 1985 burgundy Cadillac, to retrieve his personal belongings.The car was parked in the 1700 block of Delaware Street. Police found the passenger’s side rear window shattered and a receipt from another officer left on Monday indicating the car had been burglarized. Officers could not determine the time and date when the burglary occurred.The last buyer of the car was listed as Kearry Dickerson. Police attempted to get in touch with him, but no contact information was available.Police arrested Vickers and took him to Berkeley City Jail where he declined to make a statement. The case has been forwarded to the district attorney’s office for consideration of prosecution.

https://berkeleyconnector.wordpress.com/2007/10/25/berkeley-police-arrest-man-with-a-history-of-burglary/#more-60

Arrest Report Overview: Vanderrick Vickers

First Name: VANDERRICK
    Last Name: VICKERS
    Gender: Male
    Race: Black
    Arrest Date: 2013-09-18 08:30:00
    Age: 32
    State: California
    County: Napa
    Eye Color: Brown
    Hair Color: Bald
    Weight: 194
    Height: 5’10”
    Total Bond: 20000
    Dob: 1981-01-14 03:00:00
    Booking Date: 2013-09-23 14:00:00
    Birth Year: 1981

http://www.findmugshots.com/arrests/vanderrick_vickers_id_1633152.html

Both defendant and the victim sleep in tents under the bridge, along with a friend named Van Derrick Vickers

http://www.fearnotlaw.com/wsnkb/articles/p_v_blythe-6770.html

Two things are quite clear:

(1) Vanderrick Vickers is a career criminal.
    (2) Vanderrick Vickers has been documented sleeping in tents under bridges, and squatting in boarded up houses.

It’s quite clear that Mr. Vickers here is a criminal transient. So why would such an individual be so attracted to Berkeley? Hmmm.