BPD arrests suspect allegedly brandishing sword near Gilman Street

alerts_DapreeDoyle_file
Dapree Doyle/File

A male suspect was arrested on suspicion of two counts of assault with a deadly weapon Thursday near Gilman Street, according to a Berkeley Police Department Nixle alert.

BPD responded to reports of a male individual slashing tents in the Gilman Street area about 3:11 p.m. The suspect, 48-year-old Manuel A. Ayala, was allegedly using a sword to slash through tents and direct his weapon at the individuals inside.

After the suspect fled the scene before BPD arrived, officers found him on Gilman Street between 5th and 6th streets, where the suspect was reportedly threatening a man with the sword.

It was reported the male victim was connected to a female victim who the suspect had allegedly assaulted while at the tents, according to BPD.

Officers fired at the suspect from a “less than lethal launcher” until he let go of the sword, according to the Nixle alert. He was later taken into custody by police officers and booked in the Berkeley City Jail.

The suspect, who is homeless, was arrested on suspicion of two counts of assault with a deadly weapon.

Anyone with information about crimes is asked to call BPD at 510-981-5900.

Check back for updates.

Cassandra Vogel is the university news editor. Contact her at cvogel@dailycal.org and follow her on Twitter at @cass_vogxz.

• Khalisnky

“there can only be one”