Cal women’s basketball can’t hold lead against No. 10 Stanford, fall 72-66

whoops_aditi_raghunath_staff
Aditi Raghunath/Staff

The Cal women’s basketball team came into the match against Stanford with low expectations. The team had dropped two in a row to Utah and Colorado and was up against a team that had won nine of its past 10 games. The Bears coming out victorious would have been a massive upset.

An upset it was not. Stanford was able to fend off an inspired Cal team, 72-66, in a match that went down to the wire.

Cal came out firing on all cylinders as it took the Cardinal to the limit. A very balanced team performance was the key — it compensated for the tight defense that the visitors played on star forward Kristine Anigwe. Seven of Cal’s eight players that got game time contributed to the score with four or more points. This offensive efficiency allowed the Bears to go into halftime toe-to-toe with their more fancied opponent.

The second half was closely contested as well, with forward Penina Davidson scoring six points and collecting four rebounds. Davidson was arguably Cal’s best player on the court, showcasing impressive ability on both ends. When it came to individual performances, however, Stanford’s Alanna Smith dwarfed everyone else as she scored 27 points, shooting 50 percent from the field. Her gargantuan offensive performance proved to be the difference maker in the end, as Cal was unable to pull off what would have been an impressive win.

Detailed recap to follow.

Devang Prasad covers women’s basketball. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @DevangPrasad.