Cloudy with a chance of rain: when not to wear your rain boots

PC: Daniel Ho danielhophoto.com
Daniel Ho/Staff

Raise your hand if you’ve ever been personally victimized by the confusion of whether or not to wear your rain boots. We at the Clog have most definitely been through this roller coaster ride. Understanding weather can be confusing — it’s hard to predict just when you’ll need your rain gear, so here are some times when you should not wear your rain boots to school.

When it’s sunny

This is pretty self-explanatory, but if it’s sunny and in the middle of April, don’t wear your rain boots. Unless you’re going for that style, which is totally cool. Maybe you’ll be the one with the last laugh if it randomly starts raining that day.

If your class starts after 10 a.m.

If you regularly check the weather app and it shows it’s going to rain in the morning, we recommend that you don’t wear your boots to school if your class starts at 10 a.m. or later. Most of the time, morning rain stops by late morning so worst case, you’ll just have to walk through a few puddles. 

If no one else is

If the rain is supposed to stop sometime during the day but you don’t know when, and you walk outside your dorm or apartment and see no one else wearing rain boots, run back upstairs and change. We don’t care if it’s raining at that moment — it’s a major fashion misstep to be the only person wearing rain boots in the middle of Sproul Plaza.

When you have an 8 a.m. and another later class

Again, we’re starting to hit the season where rain becomes unpredictable. If you have an 8 a.m., you should wear your rain boots because it’ll probably be raining early in the day. Yet if you have a later class, bring a spare change of shoes to school — it’s awkward wearing your boots on campus later in the day, when people who started later weren’t even awake when it was raining. If you did keep your rain boots on all day, you’d feel desperate to explain yourself to the people giving you weird looks, so just bring a spare pair of shoes.

We think these tips are highly successful and helpful for anyone ever confused by California rain. Rain boots are a necessity, and it’s truly an art understanding when and when not to wear your boots.

Contact Avanti Mehrotra at [email protected].