UCPD asks public for help with investigation for Yiannopoulos demonstration

milo_jihoon
Jihoon Park/File

UCPD is asking the public for help identifying persons related to the investigation for the Milo Yiannopoulos demonstration, according to a Nixle alert released Friday morning.

UCPD detectives are following up on leads they received from victims, witnesses and other sources related to the protest, according to the alert. They are also looking to identify persons “who may have information relevant to the investigation.” In the alert, UCPD asked the community for assistance in identifying individuals depicted in a set of photos.

“The University of California Police Department continues to actively investigate crimes that occurred during the evening of February 1 on and around Sproul Plaza, with the goal of identifying and holding responsible those persons who committed serious acts of violence and vandalism,” the alert said.

Berkeley Police Department is also undertaking a similar investigation into related crimes that occurred in its jurisdiction Feb. 1, according to the alert.

Yiannopoulos was scheduled to speak on campus Feb. 1, but his event was canceled in light of the violent protest that erupted that night. While some members of the community criticized UCPD for its “hands-off” approach Feb. 1, others considered it an improvement compared to the department’s more aggressive responses to past protests.

In the alert, UCPD encouraged any victims or witnesses to come forward if they haven’t already. UCPD also asked anyone with photos or videos from Feb. 1 that “(depict) recognizable persons committing criminal acts on University property” to contact the department and provide it with copies.

Anyone with information is asked to call UCPD at 510-642-6760.

individual photosindividual photosindividual photos

Check back for updates.

Chantelle Lee is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.