Berkeley Police Department apprehends suspect in connection with stabbing

alerts_DapreeDoyle_file
Dapree Doyle/File

Berkeley Police Department has a suspect in custody in connection with the stabbing of an adult victim that allegedly occurred at a school on the 2100 block of 6th Street, according to a Nixle alert released Tuesday.

The alert said California Highway Patrol stopped the suspect, Angel Juarez, around Buchanan Avenue and the Highway 80 off ramp in Albany and then transferred him into the custody of BPD.

Officer Sean Wilkenfeld, spokesperson for CHP, confirmed that CHP had located a suspect for BPD but could not release the identity of the suspect because CHP did not make the arrest.

“We transferred custody to Berkeley PD,” Wilkenfeld said. “We just detained him until Berkeley PD got there.”

Juarez, 20, was positively identified by witnesses and is now being held at the City of Berkeley Jail, according to the alert.

The victim, a member of the school’s staff, has been transported to a local hospital for treatment for the injuries they received from the stabbing, the alert said.

Officers were searching for Juarez in the Aquatic Park, Berkeley Marina and areas of West Berkeley.

Check back for updates.

Staff writer Chantelle Lee contributed to this report.

Pressly Pratt is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @presslypratt.