Vegan banana bread that might just be better than the real thing

naner-bread-5
Emma Sayiner/Staff

It seems that everyone and their momma has a banana bread recipe. From the nut-filled, chocolate-chipped and boozed-up to the chai-spiced, there is no end to the variety of recipes one can discover. But if you want a no-fail, chunky, moist banana bread look no further! Oh, and did I mention it’s vegan?

naner-bread-4

Emma Sayiner/Blog Staff

Adapted from a recipe from Joy the Baker 

Makes 1 loaf   

2 cups all-purpose flour

3 teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoons salt

1 stick margarine (I use Earth Balance)

1 cup of granulated sugar

½ cup unsweetened applesauce

3 ripe mashed bananas

1 tsp lemon juice

3 tbsp water

1 cup chocolate chips (I recommend Guittard’s extra-dark chocolate chips, but for a sweeter version semi-sweet chips work, too!)

naner-bread-3

Emma Sayiner/Blog Staff

First, set a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, grease and flour a 9×6 inch loaf pan and set aside. To start, sift flour, baking powder and salt into a smaller separate bowl. With an electric mixer, beat the margarine and sugar until fluffy, about five minutes. If you’re hand-mixing, don’t fret, just make sure the margarine is room temperature and soft to the touch before whisking. Next, add applesauce, bananas, lemon juice and water to the mixer. To ensure it’s well mixed, scrape down the sides of the bowl and whip until entirely incorporated. Then, add the flour mixture all at once and beat until incorporated. Make sure to mix the chocolate chips by hand with a spatula to prevent them from melting into the batter.

naner-bread-2

Emma Sayiner/Blog Staff

Transfer the completed batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Then let the loaf rest for 20 minutes until it reaches room temperature before serving with fresh whipped cream, Nutella, jam or on its own.

naner-bread-1

Emma Sayiner/Blog Staff

Contact Emma Sayiner at [email protected].