UCPD investigates strong-arm robbery at People’s Park

alerts_DapreeDoyle_file
Dapree Doyle/File

UCPD is investigating a strong-arm robbery that occurred at People’s Park on Friday, according to UCPD spokesperson Sgt. Sabrina Reich.

According to Reich, UCPD received a report of a strong-arm robbery about 9:30 a.m. Friday. Officers from both UCPD and Berkeley Police Department responded, and those on the scene also requested assistance from Berkeley Fire Department because of a reported injury. The suspect allegedly stole a black and red Long Beach bicycle from the victim and had already fled the scene when officers arrived.

The victim, who is not affiliated with the campus, sustained lacerations to his hand during the altercation with the suspect, Reich said. He was transported to Alta Bates Medical Center for care. Reich said she believed the victim just required some stitches.

She added that she was unsure how the victim sustained these injuries but said the suspect did not use a weapon on him.

“This was a strong-arm robbery,” Reich said. “I don’t know whether or not (the suspect was) armed, but a weapon was not used in commission of robbery.”

The suspect was described as a white male between the ages of 18 and 24 and about 6 feet tall and 165 pounds, according to Reich. He was also described as pale, unshaven and wearing a gray hoodie with multicolored spots and medium-sized blue jeans.

According to Reich, there are no updates on the case at this time, as officers are still investigating the incident.

“We’re just working on the investigation and following up on leads,” Reich said. “It’s still under investigation.”

Check back for updates.

Chantelle Lee is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.