Gender, sexuality and identity are new frontiers

Freedoms of identity and expression are fundamental to human rights. As we evolve as a species, so do our understanding of the world and ourselves. Expanding this understanding always encounters resistance from those made comfortable by the current system, and pioneers have faced great risk in pushing the frontier further outward. Sexual identity is no different, and we see how those seeking to expand frontiers and open new territories and freedoms continue to face harsh dangers from those groups who fear their position will be displaced. It is manifest that our destiny is to fully explore and develop our sexuality. To do so requires that the LGBTQ+ community not to be tolerated but celebrated for its boldness and willingness to push the frontier outward. Groups that stand in the way of the pioneers seeking to expand our understanding and awareness of ourselves will face the same options they always have. They can assimilate and move forward with history, they can be isolated to insignificance to prevent any threat or they can fight against progress and be removed for the safety of advancing society. Society and civilization will march forward, and this inevitable progress includes expanding the boundaries of sexuality.

Grace Heelroye is a member of the Berkeley community.

Contact the opinion desk at [email protected] or follow us on Twitter @dailycalopinion.