Campus resolves phone system outage

The campus has resolved a phone system outage that started Sunday, according to a UCPD Nixle alert released Monday morning.

UCPD sent out a Nixle alert about 10:39 a.m. Sunday, warning the campus community that the landlines on campus may not work. UCPD released a Nixle alert about 6:49 a.m. Monday informing the campus community that the campus telephone lines were now operational and emergency calls could be made from campus telephone landlines.

According to UCPD Sgt. Bill Kasiske, UCPD became aware of the issue during the evening, and officers began checking phone lines early Sunday morning. Kasiske said the outage affected most, if not all, the campus phone lines.

“We did spot checks around in various buildings in the campus … and immediately off the campus,” Kasiske said. “(We) found that a number of buildings did not have phone service.”

The campus’s Information Services and Technology department is currently working to resolve the issue, according to Kasiske. He added that he did not know what the specific cause of the outage was.

According to IST’s website, IST staff received reports of the situation about 8 a.m. Sunday. The team identified the outage to be a “spanning tree network issue” that caused 77 gateways to lose network connectivity. Many of the campus phones were back up and operational by about 4:24 p.m. Sunday, although IST said the network was still “unstable.”

When the landlines were not operational, the alert advised the community to dial 9-1-1 from a cell phone in case of an emergency.

“We still have phones working at the police station for 911 calls … so we’re able to communicate from a UCPD standpoint,” Kasiske said. “Just in case people needed to call 911, we’re recommending that people use their cell phones.”

Check back for updates.

Chantelle Lee is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.