Immigrants are crucial to California’s economy

Although I was born in China, the American dream always inspired my path toward attending colleges in the United States. I obtained both a bachelor’s and master’s degree at UC Berkeley and went on to found my start-up company in Silicon Valley.

A country’s economy can be roughly divided into real economy and fictitious economy, but at the same time, these two types of economies interact with each other. Business plays one of the most important key roles in these two sectors. As an engineer, I will mainly focus on the business in real economy sectors. A real economy typically contains industries such as manufacturing, textiles, construction, petrochemicals and traffic transport, among others. The real economy provides fundamental materials in people’s life, such as food, clothing and travel. Making the economy prosperous should be one of the top priorities for the country’s leaders.

That’s why more immigrants who create companies, like myself and my co-founders, need pathways toward legal status in the United States. We create jobs that Americans need. Thanks to venture capitalists that funded my efforts, I am able to stay in the United States to keep developing the business.

The U.S. fictitious economy is very strong in the world, but its real economy is way underperforming today. There is a huge potential for the United States to make it stronger. One of the keys to make the U.S. real economy stronger is to keep talented, hard-working immigrants, especially immigrants in the STEM fields.

I have dreamed about becoming an engineer ever since I watched the movie Terminator as a kid. Every day since I started my company, I’ve thought about how to make a good product for people to use.  It is essential to make products that are useful to real people, in order to strengthen the United States’ real economy.

Good examples of multi-billion dollar hardware product companies in California already exist. Companies like Tesla and Apple were founded by immigrants. In 2014, the United States’ immigrant entrepreneurs owned close to three million businesses, which generated more than $65 billion in business income. The more jobs openings created by entrepreneurs there are, the healthier the economy will be.

For example, one way to make real economy prosperous again is to renew U.S. infrastructure. Currently, it’s out of date. New highways, new bridges and new railways need to be built. The highly skilled workers like engineers who design the highways, bridges and railways not only enable legions of construction jobs to open up but also benefit other real economy industries such as transportation industries that transport people and goods.  

We need to reform the current U.S. immigration policies in order to find those highly-trained workers.

A great economy will never have too many entrepreneurs or qualified workers. The United States is a place in the world that can execute its economy’s true potential because the United States is the No. 1 destination that attracts talent immigrants from all around the world, eager to make their American dreams become true.

For each international student who graduates from a U.S. university and remains in the country to work in a STEM-related field, about three additional jobs will be created. They are the high-quality sources of entrepreneurs and high-skilled workers. But many international students graduating from U.S. universities who want to contribute to the U.S. economy end up being sent home, because there are not visas available that would enable them to remain in the United States.

We should create a better path to help them continue pursuing their American dream.

When you give people a chance, they will do amazing things. We have no choice but to make a better world today. Immigration reform is not only about doing the right thing, but it is also an ingenious way to keep a long-lasting robust economy.

Yingzhe Fu is a UC Berkeley alumnus. Contact the opinion desk at [email protected] or follow us on Twitter @dailycalopinion.

• marlette782

Once again the liberal media framing opposition to illegal immigrants as opposition to all immigrants

• Marc

Yingzhe,

Love your story and my hat’s off to you!

I currently work and live in the country you were born in (China) and I am an American. I too offer valuable services by training local workforces in needed technical skills.

Although I do not plan to emigrate to China (which would be impossible even if I wanted to because they don’t allow that) I have lived here for many years now. I follow the laws of China and keep my visa up to date. I apply for a new visa every two years because I am a guest in their country and that is what their law stipulates I do, being a foreign national on their soil.

I, like you, understand that the world does not revolve around my individual needs and that my hosts (the Chinese government) have the right to eject me from their country at anytime if I do not follow their rules which I agree to abide by every time the issue me a new work visa.

• lovestohike

Since UC Berkeley is in love with illegal immigrants who commit felons,
    its important to realize the crime on campus has increased, Rapes have inceased.

Immigration has always been good.

But there is immigration where you want to be here because you want to respect the constitution

and there is illegal immigration.

Even then illegal immigration is of two classes – one where people want to do well
    and one where the criminal element is

The only ones right now at risk are illegal immigrants who commit felons such as
    1) Raping Citizens
    2) Murders
    3) Rapes
    4) Child Molestation
    and other felonies.

Right now, students fully love this element on campus as they are not asking the campus police to do their job.

Its sad to see that UC Berkeley students seem to think that these people are wonderful.

you even take food off the table of children as our taxes have been raised to pay for the felons legal fees.

Its so sad that students write global articles about immigration
    but fail to realize that there are some even in that group with evil in their hearts.
    Its sad.

The crime on the campus will increase as the campus police are in lock step with letting more of those who commit felonies on campus. They ignore them,

This makes it difficult for all.

We support those who care about immigrants and helping them become citizens.

Students should also support getting the criminal immigrant out of the United States.

Sadly – most want more criminals on campus to rob us, rape us, and murder us.
    The violent protests on campus are only a start of allowing more criminal activity on campus.

• Kill TalmudScum

Hey here’s an idea: If immigration is such a great engine for success, why don’t we send all these violent black, hispanic and muslim immigrants to CHINA!!!!!

Gee, you don’t seem so enthusiastic about that – I WONDER WHY?????

Maybe we can resettle some lovely SOMALIAN IMMIGRANTS IN YOUR LITTLE VILLAGE BACK IN CHINA!!!! THEY WILL BRING SO MUCH WONDERFUL DIVERSITY THERE!!! THEY WILL BRING SUCH GREAT SOMALIAN CONTRIBUTIONS THERE. I HEARD THE SOMALIAN SPACE PROGRAM LAUNCHED A BOTTLE ROCKET OVER 150 FEET OFF THE GROUND USING FIREWORKS MANUFACTURED IN EUROPE!!! DON”T YOU WANT THEIR LOVELY IMMIGRANT CONTRIBUTION IN YOUR LITTLE CHINESE VILLAGE? NO? OH, YOU MUST BE A RACIST!!!!! AND YOU CAN FEED THEM AND HOUSE THEM TOO WITH WELFARE PAYMENTS TAKEN FROM YOUR PAYCHECK!!!

…wait….why do you suddenly seem so much less enthusiastic about immigration all of a sudden, lol

• Kill TalmudScum

Chinese immigrants tend to work hard, though I know many that are on welfare.

The problem is black, brown, and hispanic immigrants: they are violent and stupid, just like the third world cesspools they crawled out of. I want a Whites only society, because I am sick and tired of idiot third world scum coming to my country. If you have a problem, go home to China. I heard the brown air there matches your skin color, Your Chinese savage grandparents were living in grass shacks with no electricity just a few short years ago; don’t come to an advanced human society and start lecturing people, you spoiled little racist [email protected]

• skilled legal immigration good, illegal immigration bad

• Marc

Yes. To clarify.

—Legal immigration good. Illegal immigration bad.—

Illegal immigrants are not legal immigrants.

Legal immigrants are not illegal immigrants.

—Legal aliens good. Illegal aliens bad.—

Illegal aliens are not legal aliens.

Legal aliens are not illegal aliens.

Any questions?

• ShadrachSmith

Some immigration is necessary, therefore all immigration is good? Name the logical fallacy.

• David Power

They’re also crucial to California’s prison population.

• lovestohike

Not – as Jerry has overfilled the prisons and lets them out on the streets.

• lspanker

I’ll take this a lot more seriously when the writer learns to differentiate between legal immigrants and illegal aliens.