Strong-arm robbery, fire occur over past 2 weeks

crime_dapreedoyle_file
Dapree Doyle/File

UCPD received reports of both a strong-arm robbery and fire that occurred last week, according to UCPD patrol Sgt. Nicolas Hernandez.

Hernandez said UCPD received a report Feb. 25 that a woman was robbed outside of her Albany home at 1060 Solano Avenue as she walked through her neighborhood. According to Hernandez, the suspect snatched the victim’s purse from her wrist about 6:30 a.m. The UCPD crime log said the purse contained $160 worth of valuables.

The crime log described the suspect as a male of an unknown race. Hernandez added that the suspect was described as 5-feet tall, of medium build and complexion and reportedly wore a dark gray hoodie pulled up around his head.

The case remains under investigation, as the suspect has not been apprehended, Hernandez said.

In an unrelated incident, an electrical outlet caught on fire in 44 Barrows Hall on Tuesday morning. According to Hernandez, the fire extinguished itself before the Berkeley Fire Department responded to the call.

When BFD arrived on the scene, it utilized an infrared scanner in the classroom wall to locate heat, in the hopes of finding a potential source of the fire, Hernandez said.  He added, however, that BFD was unable to locate the heat, and the source of the fire is not yet known. The case is still under investigation.

Contact Amber Tang at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ambertang_dc.