Berkeley Police Department concludes search in West Berkeley, although suspect still at large

alerts_DapreeDoyle_file
Dapree Doyle/File

Berkeley Police Department has concluded its search in the West Berkeley area for a driver involved in a suspicious incident Tuesday afternoon, although the suspect has not yet been apprehended, according to a BPD Nixle alert.

The alert said BPD received a call from a community member about 12:19 p.m. Tuesday regarding a suspicious vehicle. According to the alert, the vehicle “was possibly involved in an Officer involved Shooting” that occurred in Richmond earlier that morning.

BPD officers responded to the scene and found the vehicle abandoned in the area of Channing Way and 4th Street, according to the alert. The driver of the vehicle was last seen running northwest on Channing Way toward Aquatic Park.

BPD released a second Nixle alert about 3:32 p.m. informing the community that officers had concluded their search of the area and were clearing the scene, although the suspect was still at large. The alert described the suspect as “an auto burglary suspect” who allegedly attempted to hit a Richmond police officer with his car.

According to the alert, Richmond Police Department officers are still present at the abandoned suspect vehicle.

The alert stated that a witness described the suspect as a Black male adult in his 20s or 30s wearing a dark, hooded sweatshirt.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call BPD at 510-981-5900.

Check back for updates.

Chantelle Lee is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.