Producer Amy Ziering speaks about sexual assault at Berkeley Forum event

ziering_michaelwan_staff-copy
Michael Wan/Staff

UC Berkeley students filled Anna Head Alumnae Hall on Wednesday to hear two-time Emmy Award-winning and Academy Award-nominated filmmaker Amy Ziering talk about lessons she learned regarding sexual assault from filming “The Hunting Ground,” an exposé of rape crimes on college campuses.

Berkeley Forum president Daniel Ahrens said the organization invited Ziering to speak because of her prominence advocating against the issue of sexual assault and its relevance to campus students.

“Regardless of your understanding of sexual assault on campus, Amy Ziering is a very powerful and influential voice on the topic, and her engagement talking about the issue is very notable,” Ahrens said.

“The Hunting Ground,” which was released in February, 2015, is a documentary that follows the stories of multiple students who were allegedly sexually assaulted at their college campuses.

“It took us a while to figure out the title, but when we did it was to underline that it’s a targeted, premeditated crime,” Ziering said. “It’s not a bad hookup, it’s not miscommunication.”

Thought one in every five women are sexually assaulted in college, that is not an indication that 20 percent of men are rapists, said Ziering. In fact, 2 to 6 percent of men are responsible for these attacks, but in convenient settings, including college environments, “they repeat the crime over and over again.”

Victims of sexual assault are targeted based on gender, race, class standing and sexual orientation, according to Ziering. Perpetrators look for people who are not in positions of power and less likely to report rape.

A common myth concerning sexual assault, Ziering said, is the allegation that “alcohol is to blame.”

“If people are so concerned about alcohol being the problem, why aren’t they telling men to drink less?” Ziering said.

Another myth, according to Ziering, is that many reports of sexual assault are false, when in fact 92 to 98 percent of reports are true.

Ziering compared investigation of a sexual assault case to that of a robbery.

“This is synonymous to someone asking ‘Are you sure he meant to take the television set? What were you wearing when he stole the television set?’” Ziering said. “It’s as unlikely for someone to falsely tell you that they’ve been robbed as it is for them to falsely say that they’ve been raped.”

During the audience question and answer session, Ziering elaborated on the difference between the terms “date rape” and “target rape,” the latter of which she said she prefers to use.

“Date rape makes it seems like an understanding,” Ziering said. “It diminishes it. I think it’s sort of patronizing — a date’s a date. Rape’s a felony. The two just don’t go together.”

According to Ziering, victims of sexual assault may suffer from symptoms ranging from depression and anxiety to PTSD and self-harm.

Ziering also explained that rape victims may feel ashamed and shocked, and this feeling only intensifies when victims are accused of falsely reporting sexual assault.

“Women in the military who are sexually assaulted suffer from three times the amount of PTSD that combat survivors suffer from,” Ziering said.

Berkeley Forum Head Moderator Haley Keglovits asked Ziering how she balanced the conflicting forces of her own opinions on the documentary while staying true to unbiased reporting.

“When you do anything like this, you have a responsibility to make sure it’s bulletproof,” Ziering said. “You’re going to get attacked frivolously, you’re going to get attacked fraudulently, you’re going to get attacked maliciously — so you’d better make sure you have your facts right.”

Contact Amber Tang at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ambertang_dc.