BPD arrests 10 individuals in connection with ‘March 4 Trump’ rally

identify_asleshakumar_file-copy
Aslesha Kumar/File

Berkeley Police Department arrested 10 individuals in connection with crimes committed during the “March 4 Trump” rally last weekend, including battery and assault with a deadly weapon, according to BPD spokesperson Lt. Andrew Rateaver.

The rally, organized by Rich Black, involved about 300 people, including supporters of President Donald Trump and counter-protesters. Although Rateaver said he was unable to disclose the names of those arrested, he explained in his email that five arrests were made on suspicion of battery, four on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon — including one with possession of a dagger — and one on suspicion of resisting arrest.

SFGate, however, reported Wednesday the names of eight individuals arrested in connection to the rally, including:

• Kyle Chapman, 41, of Daly City, arrested on suspicion of felony assault with a deadly weapon and carrying a concealed dagger.
  • Dustin Sawtelle, 39, of San Francisco; Nathan Perry, 33, of Modesto; and Jeffrey Armstrong, 32, of Oakland, all arrested on suspicion of felony assault.
  • Jeremy Wilhite, 23, and Rackell Anzaldua, 20, both of Fremont, arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor battery.
  • Michael Hornsby, 27, of Riverside, arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor rioting, battery and providing false identification to officers.
  • Nicholaas Molloy, 22, of San Bruno, arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor obstruction and resisting a police officer.

SFGate also reported that two minors — a 17-year-old girl from Concord and a 16-year-old boy from Berkeley — were arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor battery.

Black said he was not previously aware that individuals were armed at the rally, adding that he could not condone such behavior.

“If charges do end up being placed upon those of us arrested who were on our side, we are prepared to do the exhaustive work (of ensuring) that the police are fully aware that what we did were acts of self-defense,” Black said.

In his email, Rateaver said officers made every attempt to rapidly intercede during acts of violence, adding that BPD is still working to identify suspects.

“Berkeley Police are committed to providing for the safety and security of the general public, while both monitoring and facilitating any peaceful demonstration,” Rateaver said in his email. “Community members’ rights are of the utmost importance and our goal is to ensure a safe environment for everyone involved.”

Contact Bobby Lee at bobbylee@dailycal.org and follow him on Twitter at @bobbylee_dc.

• Paul-Kealoha Blake

Kyle Chapman did not appear to be acting in self defense. There is photo documentation of him spraying pepper spray into a crowd that was at least 20′ feet away… with no one near him with the exception of someone attempting to stop him from spraying indiscriminately into the crowd.