Documents show stabbing suspect allegedly threatened to kill administrators prior to arrest

stabbing_dapreedoyle_file-copy
Dapree Doyle/File

Angel Juarez, the 20-year-old Via Center student who was arrested Feb. 21 in connection with the stabbing of a Via Center staff member, allegedly threatened to kill Via Center administrators prior to his arrest, as first reported by Berkeleyside.

Alameda County court documents show that Juarez was having a meeting with school administrators Feb. 21 before the stabbing took place. The meeting was held because Juarez had allegedly lost a job because of absences. According to the documents, Juarez became upset during the meeting and allegedly told school administrators, “I’m going to kill all of you.”

Juarez allegedly walked toward a filing cabinet and extracted a knife. According to the documents, Anke Vandenbosch, a female school administrator, locked the door so Juarez could not leave. Juarez then allegedly stabbed her twice on the back, twice on her neck and once on her head. He fled the school and discarded the knife, the documents alleged.

In an interview after the stabbing, Juarez said he understood that what he did was harmful and showed remorse, according to the court documents. He added that he committed the act out of anger from losing his job because he felt it was the fault of Via Center administrators, the documents alleged.

Juarez is facing charges of attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon and personal infliction of great bodily injury, according to online records from the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office. He is being held without bail at Santa Rita Jail.

Juarez is diagnosed with autism, court documents stated. According to its website, the Via Center “provides educational and behavioral intervention for a wide range of students with intensive needs.” The school aims to provide students with a personalized, highly structured educational program in a “family-like” environment.

Juarez is set to appear at the René C. Davidson Courthouse in Oakland on March 22 for a pretrial hearing.

Contact Jessíca Jiménez at [email protected] and and follow her on Twitter at @jesscajimenez_dc.