Petition seeks to declare Antifa terrorist organization

antifa_joshuajordan_file-copy
Joshua Jordan/File

Antifa, an anti-fascist group that used the black bloc tactic during the Milo Yiannopoulos protest at UC Berkeley in February, is now the subject of a petition that aims to declare it a terrorist organization.

The online petition, created by Spanish resident Fiona Quintero about one month ago, defines terrorism as “the use of intentionally indiscriminate violence as a means to create terror or fear, in order to achieve a political, religious or ideological aim.” It alleges that Antifa has repeatedly completed acts of terrorism. The petition is addressed to President Donald Trump and has gathered nearly 70,000 supporters.

“People fear you not because they’re secretly Nazis, but because you instill fear and terror in the lives of innocent people who have nothing to do with you and your crusade,” Quintero said in her petition.

The petition’s goal is 75,000 signatures and asks that Trump formally declare Antifa a domestic terror organization.

A UC Berkeley student and Antifa member, who asked to remain anonymous out of fear for their safety, explained that Antifa is a “horizontal movement (that resists) all forces of the right-wing.” The student said the group’s militant actions were necessary in situations where peaceful dialogue couldn’t resolve the issues.

“We need to be able to engage so that fascist forces are not normalized. We want to stop toxic ideologies from being organized,” the student said. “There was a peaceful side to it, but there is also a direct action side to it.”

The student said Antifa doesn’t care about the petition, emphasizing that it would not stop the group members from expressing their views.

“The right wing can do what they want; they can stigmatize us, criminalize us,” the student said. “We’re still going to … disrupt what they’re trying to do. I personally don’t care.”

East Bay Young Republicans President Adam Castle, however, described Antifa’s actions as “wrong” and “un-American” in an email. He added that he was against oppression and fascism but didn’t agree with the violent tactics of Antifa, which he said seek to suppress free discourse.

But Castle also said in his email he didn’t believe the petition would realistically pass.

“I believe the petition raises an interesting question but think it would be premature to designate Antifa as a domestic terrorist organization,” Castle said in his email. “That said, I see the petition more as a symbolic condemnation of intolerance and violence rather than an actual call to action.”

Staff writer Bobby Lee contributed to this report.

Contact Sunny Tsai at [email protected].

• Luuk

They allways give trouble and violence Left wing fascists Stop them

• JustMeAgain

“The Nazis played the same games against Jews that today’s left plays against ‘Eurocentrism,’ ‘whiteness,’ and ‘logocentrism.’ When you hear a campus radical denounce ‘white logic’ or ‘male logic,’ she is standing on the shoulders of a Nazi who denounced ‘Jewish logic’ and the ‘Hebrew disease’…The white man is the Jew of liberal fascism.”
    ― Jonah Goldberg, Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left from Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning

• Purrelli

I support Antifa because their organization gives me people to take out my hostilities on, someone to kick and beat when things go wrong. I like hitting Antifa sissys because they embody everything that is wrong in this world, all in one place.

• Shinku

Wearing an easy to identify uniform. Ripe for the stomping.

• Lucilla

Bring back law and order and arrest these children. they are supposed to be educated college students? Force Trump’s hands to enforce police strong tactics. This group is a terrorist group. they are haters. They are bigots. They will be stopped.

• BadWhisky

The problem we have is the propaganda these children have been fed through the federalized school system. ANTIFA isn’t just a UC Berkeley problem, it is a national problem backed and supported by international groups. Soros financed. We have brought this on ourselves, both Alt-right and radical left groups were allowed in as groups with an ax to grind which kept the attention away from the true issues, this is Alynsky tactics financially supported by Soros as he learned them from working with the real NAZI’s, as a teenager, in WW2. We allowed this to happen, trying to get our way, voting our selfish single issue mind set over what was best for our country.

• Brandon James Maynard

lol k

• lspanker

Shall we assume you had no real rebuttal?

• BadWhisky

The weathermen underground…. When groups start carrying out attacks to stifle discussion they are denying others freedom of speech. When these groups advocate violence and act anonymously while covering their faces they are terrorist. The young woman in the article isn’t afraid for her safety, she is a coward, she is afraid of the rule of law and the consequences it enacts on her for her actions.

• Aiden Lautt
  • Arminds’ copy of Swank

“necessary in situations where peaceful dialogue couldn’t resolve the issues”

Oh really? Then why is it you resort to violence first and never debate the issues? In fact these cowards don’t even listen to the points of the people they attack, they prevent them from on speaking by calling tor hosts to cancel their events or rally’s and even before the decision is reached they start riots.

Don’t hide behind this ‘we try to be peaceful’ crap because you don’t. Your cowards who would sooner attack someone than let them speak because you fear their logic and reason

• BadWhisky

Good comment…

• Marko Johnson

You can jail the revolutionary , but not the revolution

• BadWhisky

This isn’t a revolution you moron, it’s terrorism.

• lspanker

If you even had a clue as to the real revolution in this country, you would know that you’re on the wrong side of it.

• Jack Spat

Antifa has already overplayed their hand, and now everywhere there is a right wing rally the participants will show up armed, and armored, and ready to fight.

• Solomon Goldstein

OY VEY! Antifa are heroes just like the Bolsheviks who liberated Russia from the goyim savages!

• BadWhisky

The Bolsheviks simply became far more ruthless masters over the serfs the Czars had enslaved.

• TaiFood

The Daily Cal should check their archives.

These are not CONTEMPORARY domestic terrorists, warnings about BAMN were in the pages of the Daily Cal in the early 2000’s

April 20, 2001 via East Bay Express

(Even documents that Yvette Felarca was apparently practicing terrorizism on Oakland Union members back then)

“…on, letters were pouring into the Daily Californian, complaining about BAMN’s confrontational approach. Campus fliers issued by progressive student groups began to contain the caveat “not affiliated with BAMN” at the bottom of the page. In October 1997, disgusted Daily Cal columnist Joe Eskenazi penned a piece titled “BAMN Be Gone.”

“It’s time for BAMN to call it a foamy-mouthed, race-baiting day,” wrote Eskenazi. “Whether or not they know it, they are nothing more than the tools of the right wing they supposedly so deplore. Through their actions they have completely delegitimized the fight for affirmative action on this campus. Now, no one on the campus can say ‘I’m for affirmative action’ without being lumped in with these idiots.” The day Eskenazi’s column ran, thousands of papers were stolen from the racks.

“The first time I ever got in touch with BAMN was in the fall of ’96,” says Paul Hogarth, a former student activist who is now a member of the Berkeley Rent Board …”

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/class-struggle/Content?oid=1065288&showFullText=true

• lspanker

Add BAMN to the list and you have a deal.