UCPD arrests suspect in strong-arm robbery Thursday

alerts_DapreeDoyle_file
Dapree Doyle/File

UCPD arrested an individual in connection with a strong-arm robbery Thursday, according to UCPD on-duty supervisor Sgt. Nicolas Hernandez.

Hernandez said a campus student was walking on College Avenue near Haste Street when the suspect, identified as Alfred Jones, stole her phone about 12:19 p.m. Thursday. UCPD eventually arrested and booked Jones on suspicion of robbery.

“The subject came up behind her and hit the phone out of her hand,” Hernandez said. “He picked up the phone and fled the area. He was seen and detained near Kroeber Plaza.”

According to Hernandez, neither the victim nor the suspect sustained any injuries during the altercation.

UCPD responded to an outside assist to Berkeley Police Department, Hernandez said. He added that the incident happened in BPD’s jurisdiction, but when UCPD got the call, officers were already near the scene and so responded immediately to take the suspect into custody.

Hernandez said Jones, 27, is not affiliated with the campus. According to online records from Alameda County’s Inmate Locator, Jones is currently being held in Santa Rita Jail and is scheduled to have a pretrial hearing Tuesday morning at the Rene C. Davidson Courthouse in Oakland.

Check back for updates.

Chantelle Lee is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.