Berkeley Police Department, UCPD investigate drug possession, robberies, vehicle collision

alerts_DapreeDoyle_file
Dapree Doyle/File

Berkeley Police Department and UCPD have investigated several incidents over the past few days, including a drug possession, two robberies and a collision between a bike and a car.

According to BPD spokesperson Sgt. Andrew Frankel, detectives from the Berkeley Police Special Investigations Bureau served a narcotics search warrant to Brandon McWilliams, 41, and Melina Lane, 44, about 8 p.m. March 7 at the 1600 block of 62nd Street.

“Detectives found (5) ounces of methamphetamine, a loaded .25 caliber pistol (with the serial numbers obliterated), packaging materials, and scales,” Frankel said in an email.

Lane admitted to having methamphetamine in her bra before being booked into the BPD Jail Facility, according to Frankel. He added that Lane was found in possession of an additional one-half ounce of methamphetamine.

Both McWilliams and Lane were booked into the BPD Jail Facility, according to Frankel. Alameda County online records show that Lane was booked on charges of possession of methamphetamine for sale, selling a controlled substance, possession of a controlled substance, felony violation and possession of a firearm by a prior felon. Lane’s bail is set at $100,000, and she is scheduled to have a pretrial hearing Thursday.

BPD also arrested David King, 58, and Stephen Johnson, 55, on charges of robbery and conspiracy Sunday about 10 a.m., according to Frankel. King and Johnson are two of three suspects who allegedly shoplifted from the CVS Pharmacy on Telegraph Avenue. Frankel said in his email that CVS Pharmacy staff tried to stop the suspects, but the three were able to flee the scene in a sedan.

“The suspects used force which moved it from theft to robbery,” Frankel said in his email. “The suspect vehicle stopped nearby and let off two of the passengers who fled into the block. After a block search one of the suspects was arrested.”

In an unrelated incident, BPD officers responded to multiple reports of a robbery in the area of Shattuck Avenue and Addison Street on Monday about 1:39 p.m., according to Frankel. The victim, a 45-year-old male, sustained a minor injury and was transported to a local hospital for evaluation, where he was treated and later released.

Frankel said the suspects were described as three black male juveniles and remained at large.

UCPD is investigating a car and bike collision that occurred Friday on Centennial Drive near the Grizzly Gate exit to Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, according to UCPD spokesperson Sgt. Sabrina Reich.

“The driver of the vehicle possibly failed to yield the right of way to the oncoming bicyclist,” Reich said in an email.

According to Reich, the bicyclist suffered minor injuries and was taken to a local hospital for treatment.

Contact Jessíca Jiménez at [email protected] and and follow her on Twitter at @jesscajimenez_dc.