3-car crash on College Avenue, Ashby Street leads to active police scene

bpd_danielkim_staff
Daniel Kim/Staff

About 30 police cars gathered on the intersection of College Avenue and Ashby Street after a three-car collision Wednesday evening.

According to Oakland Police Department Lt. Demetrio Lozares, OPD officers attempted an investigative stop on a white truck at the intersection of 14th and Harrison streets about 6:50 p.m Wednesday. The suspect vehicle then rammed into a police car, and one OPD officer was treated for injuries and later released. Officers pursued the suspects through Oakland, San Leandro, Hayward and Berkeley.

The suspects drove to the intersection of College Avenue and Ashby Street, where they were involved in a three-car collision after they allegedly ran a red light. Two suspects — one female and one male — exited the car after the collision.

Both suspects have been taken into custody, according to Lozares. The female suspect, who was a passenger in the car, was detained first, after she ran into a nearby business. The male suspect, who was the driver of the car, was on the roof of Urban Remedy, located at 2946 College Ave., allegedly drinking and smoking. He was taken into custody about 8:40 p.m.

Lozares said no shots were fired during the pursuit and officers did not use any force when they talked the male suspect down from the roof.

According to Lozares, Berkeley Police Department assisted the investigation when the suspects entered the Berkeley jurisdiction and is handling the accident that occurred at College Avenue and Ashby Street.

Helena Starc, an Oakland resident, said she received text messages from her daughter, Martina Starc, who was at Ici Ice Cream with a friend when she saw the car crash occur. In the text messages, Martina Starc alleged that there was a shooter outside Ici. Both Martina Starc and her friend went into the kitchen with Ici staff to hide.

Martina Starc said she and her friend reached out to BPD while inside Ici, adding that BPD was “unhelpful” and told them to shelter in place.

“We had no idea the level of danger,” Martina Starc said.

Ermias Regassa, an Oakland resident, said his wife was involved in the three-car collision allegedly caused by the suspects. Regassa said that his wife was in shock but that she will be fine and did not need to go to the hospital.

Police uncovered bullets from the suspects’ cars about 9:30 p.m.

Lozares said he did not have the names of the suspects and was not able to release what they were being charged with. He added that he could not disclose the reason for OPD’s investigative stop because it was an ongoing case.

Check back for updates.

Senior staff writers Pressly Pratt and Kayla Kettmann also contributed to this report.

Contact Harini Shyamsundar, Chantelle Lee and Jessica Lynn at [email protected].

• InabaML

So glad there were no serious injuries. College Ave. has heavy pedestrian and auto traffic. Could have been a lot worse. Hard to believe someone would complain about having to “shelter in place” in Ici, a gourmet ice cream parlor.